become a supporting member

Badges

Feedback
    Post Thanks / Likes Stats    

HELP!! 2000 V6 Mustang - Won't start frequently, THEFT light flashes when key is ON

----THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED----

I disabled the THEFT system using my Delta Force Tuning software. The THEFT light will still flash, but your ECU will ignore any signals from it.

The misfire was due to a fouled spark plug on no. 1 cylinder.

=============================================

I need some help, because I don't know what has happened to my Stang.

Back in June, when I drove to Biloxi for an annual car show, my car began having trouble starting. The starter would turn the engine over, but it acted like either a) it wasn't getting fire or b) no fuel

At the time, it rarely did it. Once every 20 days or so. However, as the last two months have gone by, it's gotten worse - particularly within the last couple of weeks. Three, sometimes four attempts were needed before the car would finally start.

Then, two weeks ago, the car ran fine all day going to work, home for lunch, and back to work. That afternoon, I cranked it up and noticed it was running badly. It also had a tremendous tendency to backfire. It ran like that all the way home (about 2 miles.) The next morning, it was fine again. No hesitation starting, no backfire. It ran fine for another week, then it really went tits-up:

Everytime the key is in the ON position, the THEFT light flashes erractically. Anytime this happens, the car WILL NOT start. Started turns engine, but no fire.

Now, the car still does the THEFT light thingy, but whenever I DO get it started, it's only running on 5 cylinders.

HELP!!!
    Last edited by sixstanger00; 09-02-2012 at 04:06 PM.

2000 V6 Mustang/5 speed: Ebay cold air intake, MAC long tube headers, custom shorty Y-pipe, axle-back canister exhaust, Accel Super Coil pack, Taylor Thundervolt 8.2 Ignition wires, NGK Iridium IX spark plugs, Delta Force Tuning Sniper custom tune, adjustable coilover suspension lowered 2.5 - 3", 18" FR500 rims, F1 Racing Stage II clutch, UPR adjustable caster/camber plates, FRPP limited slip, Motive Gear Performance 3.73s, vinyl wrapped in Avery Pearl White.

Badges

Feedback
    P.S. I did some googling and noticed a few people suggested the ECU might be faulty.

I ruled that out just now - just reflashed the ECU and it's OK.

Could it be a bad spark plug?

The first Accel coilpack I received back when I ordered it was faulty - it didn't fire on No. 6. Could this one have also gone bad?

Another possibitly is that I've totally lost compression on one cyl.
    2000 V6 Mustang/5 speed: Ebay cold air intake, MAC long tube headers, custom shorty Y-pipe, axle-back canister exhaust, Accel Super Coil pack, Taylor Thundervolt 8.2 Ignition wires, NGK Iridium IX spark plugs, Delta Force Tuning Sniper custom tune, adjustable coilover suspension lowered 2.5 - 3", 18" FR500 rims, F1 Racing Stage II clutch, UPR adjustable caster/camber plates, FRPP limited slip, Motive Gear Performance 3.73s, vinyl wrapped in Avery Pearl White.

Badges

Feedback
    50 views and no one has had anything to say. Wow. I still have this problem, btw.

Badges
    Global Site Moderator SN95 Supporting Member 5+ Successful iTrader Deals 500+ Forum Reputation 5000+ Forum Posts
    Feedback
    9   (100%)
    I already told you I have no idea
    1999 Ford Mustang V6:
    RIP Red Car (Original Build Thread)
    Number Tew Build Thread 4.3 Stroker V6
    February 2013 ROTM (Woooo!)

Welcome to the greatest mustang community on the web.

Badges

Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by g36 monkey View Post
    I already told you I have no idea
    I know. Seems I'm the only SN95 owner to have this problem. Bummer.

Badges
    Site Administrator SN95 Supporting Member 5+ Successful iTrader Deals 500+ Forum Reputation 5000+ Forum Posts
    Feedback
    13   (100%)
    tough problem man....

is there any one nearby who is any good with the PATS system?? some people can completely bypass it, and that might be a start...

very strange problem....

Quote Originally Posted by rz5.0 View Post
    Everything is better when you nuke it

Badges

Feedback
    Hey guys, for future reference, if anyone has a problem with their PATS (THEFT system), refer to this information:

The engine does not start and LED remains off: 1. Check PATS system fuses 2. If alarm is fitted check if LED functions for alarm: if not check cigar lighter fuse (also used for LED)

3. If not go to main dealer

Engine does not start: LED flashes rapidly: Leave ignition on until the LED starts to flash a 2 digit code: (sequence- pause-sequence) Check the following codes:

1:3 - Key code not received. Is key screened by other keys or objects? Try different key: if okay then first key is faulty. If not go to main dealer

1:4 -
    Partial code only received. Try again. If not okay use different key. If not go to main dealer

1:5 - Key not programmed into PATS. Program key as above using master

1:6 - Faulty link between PATS module and EECV Go to main dealer

I found this information here: http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/pats.htm, and it turns out mine is 1:6.

8. MustangChris said thanks for this post.

Badges
    Site Administrator SN95 Supporting Member 5+ Successful iTrader Deals 500+ Forum Reputation 5000+ Forum Posts
    Feedback
    13   (100%)
    hm. very cool. thanks for the link.

did any of that help your problem?

Quote Originally Posted by rz5.0 View Post
    Everything is better when you nuke it

Badges

Feedback
    Haven't had a chance to look yet. Tomorrow, I'll have to go over the entire electrical system on the PATS to locate where the fault is. My guess is that it's probably going to be in the steering column - I've had a lot of issues there - multifunction switch keeps blowing high beam fuses, and the intermittent wiper settings half ass work now. Lo and Hi on wipers work fine, but if I set it to intermittent, it will wipe half the windshield and freeze, a few minutes will pass, then it will finish it's cycle. The wiper problem has been going on for some time now, and the headlight prob has been an issue since I got the car in '07.

The electrical on my car was installed by monkeys.

Badges

Feedback
    Instead of going on a wild goose chase trying to save a Pony, I did a little more research on my prob:

Most 96+ SN95ers may already know this, but you can retrieve trouble codes from your ECU without any kind of handheld:

1) Place key in ignition and don't turn on.

2) Press and hold odometer reset button for 5 seconds, then turn key to "ON" position. DO NOT START ENGINE!

3) The word "test" will appear on your odo. Release the button, and it will say "Gauge." Press the odo button to cycle through the many different test modes.

One will read "dt" or "dtc," followed by a number. These are your trouble codes. This is PARTICULARLY useful is your SN95 IS NOT throwing a CEL. When you're finished, simply turn your key "OFF."

I pulled several from mine:
    dt79FF
    dtcd262
    dtc9681
    dtc5284