become a supporting member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Badges
    Year 2006 OG  
    Feedback
    Post Thanks / Likes Stats    
    Went ahead and rehosted everything to IMGUR. Major PITA, but hopefully it'll be smooth sailing from here on out.

So I bought a set of BMR tubular SFC's. These were a new offering from BMR. I've used their parts on other cars (mostly my CTS-V) with great luck so I thought I would give it a shot. I figured since I would just do the occasional HPDE or something, full length wouldn't be entirely necessary. Plus, BMR offered me a generous discount to essentially test them out since they didn't have a 96-98 Cobra (or any 94-98 for that matter) for prototyping. It turns out, the front frame mount interferes with the cross member mount. I conferred with BMR and they will be developing a new set specifically for SN95's. BMR generously offered to sent a prepaid return label, but I decided that I'm going to cut and modify them to attach at the same point the trans cross member mount. I have not yet done the install, but here are the initial pictures.

In other news, she's getting old.

Badges
    SN95 Supporting Member 5+ Successful iTrader Deals 500+ Forum Reputation  
    Feedback
    5   (100%)
    Those would work on a 94-98 Gt. The transmission mount is further forward than the cobra.

What you mean, "getting old"? That thing is a baby! lol
    Rio Red 98 GT
    Always Under Construction

Badges
    Year 2006 OG  
    Feedback
    Couple little pieces added.

FRPP 03/04 style shift knob, since my OEM knob was a bit worn. I must admit, I really like the grip and weight of this new knob.

I got a Diode Dynamics LED interior light kit. Not as bright as I wanted, but the color is good.

And lastly, these showed up. Ceramic coated FRPP shorties. Got a great deal, now I just have to deal with the headache of installing them. I have future clutch/transmission plans so long tubes weren't going to be on my list.

Badges

Feedback
    1   (100%)
    I'm curious to see those subframe connectors installed. I have the same shift knob and it's really comfortable. I'm also curious to see if notice much of a difference from the headers.
    1997 Cobra

Badges
    Year 2006 OG  
    Feedback
    Car is up on jack stands now. She'll be getting the FRPP shorties installed and I also got a set of used Bilstein quad shocks to round out the package. I'll update with pictures later.

Badges
    Year 2006 OG  
    Feedback
    Got the Bilstein quads installed. They had so much more pressure than the factory quads. Not sure if I'll feel a difference or not, but at least I know I have good ones on there now.

I also started on the headers. Wow, I was not expecting so much difficulty. I started with the drivers side. So far I have the mid pipe out, battery out, steering shaft disconnected, motor mount unbolted and engine jacked up, rear EGR disconnected, and 5 of the 8 fasteners out. I do believe I'll have to remove the oil filter to get to the AIR connection at the front as well as the front three lower bolts, which are the only ones that remain.

I'm half tempted to just go ahead and order new poly motor mounts since I'll have them pretty much out anyway.

Badges

Feedback
    Why not get a good set of tubular rear upper and lower control arms then ditch the quad shocks all together?

Header swaps are a huge pain on the 4V cars. Even more so with the factory K member.
    Trinity
    "The God of Death is back from Hell"
    "I will obliterate all the stars...
    in their place I will hang a black paper moon!"
    RedTwilight ZERO 1996 Laser Red SVT Cobra

1993 Silver LX Coupe

Badges

Feedback
    1   (100%)
    Man, I wouldn't even attempt to install headers without dropping the K member. Now would be a great time for poly motor mounts. My old motor mounts had no rubber left between the metal plates...
    1997 Cobra

Badges
    Year 2006 OG  
    Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTwilight View Post
    Why not get a good set of tubular rear upper and lower control arms then ditch the quad shocks all together?
    I have a set of lowers, not interested in uppers as I'm more concerned with handling than straight line performance. Maximum Motorsports recommends keeping quads if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by DKblue98GT View Post
    Man, I wouldn't even attempt to install headers without dropping the K member. Now would be a great time for poly motor mounts. My old motor mounts had no rubber left between the metal plates...
    I really don't want to have to drop the K. I just know I would never feel comfortable reassembling it and not having to spend the money on another alignment (just had one done when I did the suspension). Actually, I think once I have the motor mount removed from the engine, doing the headers won't be as bad. I went ahead and ordered some prothane mounts from LMR.

Badges
    Year 2006 OG  
    Feedback
    Update on the headers. Should have just dropped the K.

Driver's side mount and manifold are out. In the process of jacking up the drivers side, I punctured one of the heater hoses on the passenger side. FML.

Badges
    Year 2006 OG  
    Feedback
    Did a little bit more today.

Here's a shot of the hose that got punctured. Not what I was wanting to happen, but whatever.

And these things are a major PITA.

These SAI fittings fought me every inch of the way. And so did removing the plugs for the SAI fittings. Impact FTW. Went back together with a helping of anti seize.

And the driver's side is in.

Now, I have to wait until Monday until my prothane motor mounts come in. Also, my battery hold down bolt was broke so I had to drill it out and I'll have to replace it.

Plan of attack for this weekend: Install battery (unhooked), probably drop the starter. Then after the motor mounts come in, I can reinstall the drivers side, reinstall oil filter, hook up steering shaft, then start on the passenger side.

Also, the headers weigh 4lbs less per side, so a total of 8lbs lost.

Badges

Feedback
    1   (100%)
    Holy crap, I can barely believe you got the header on. Nice work!
    1997 Cobra

Badges
    Year 2006 OG  
    Feedback
    Holy crap, I can barely believe you got the header on. Nice work!
    You and me both. Starter is out. Battery is reinstalled. 6 of 8 of the bolts are out of the passenger side. SAI disconnected at the valve. Literally can't do any more until I get the motor mounts in and button up the drivers side so I can lift the passenger side and remove the motor mount.

Badges

Feedback
    Great thread. Makes me want to start working the 97 Cobra sitting my garage.

Badges
    Year 2006 OG  
    Feedback
    Update. Both headers are in, both motor mounts are in. Tonight I'll finish up installing the K-Member brace, starter, mid pipe, strut tower brace, air intake, and replace the punctured heater hose. Then I should be able to fire it up and heat cycle it once while it's still in the air then go through and re-torque the bolts that I can reach without taking anything apart.

Also, I don't know if I mentioned this before, but I welded the hardware to the header flanges so I won't have to throw a wrench on the top of them. That'll make it a heck of a lot easier to install the mid pipe.

For anyone that's doing this, the hardest part of the job bar none is the SAI connections. Also, don't remove the dipstick if you don't absolutely have to.

Sorry I didn't take many pictures, I'm doing this project solo in piecemeal as I have time.

Passenger side from underneath

Drivers side from underneath with steering shaft hooked up.

Passenger side SAI connection

Pretty new motor mount

Passenger side from above

Badges
    SN95 Supporting Member 5+ Successful iTrader Deals 500+ Forum Reputation  
    Feedback
    5   (100%)
    Great work man, I applaud you for doing this without dropping the k member.
    Rio Red 98 GT
    Always Under Construction

Badges
    Year 2006 OG  
    Feedback
    All done. Started up and warmed up. I'm going to go back over the fasteners again today (the ones I can reach) and make sure everything is snugged up. I'll do this again after about another couple weeks.

I did notice immediately that the poly motor mounts give some significant vibration between about 1200-1600 RPM. I took a video but Imgur won't let me upload videos.

Badges

Feedback
    1   (100%)
    Nice work! I have the same motor mounts and don't have any vibration. check you your harmonic balancer just to make sure it's not separating. Do you notice a difference in performance with the headers?
    1997 Cobra

Badges
    Year 2006 OG  
    Feedback
    Nice work! I have the same motor mounts and don't have any vibration. check you your harmonic balancer just to make sure it's not separating. Do you notice a difference in performance with the headers?
    It's still on jack stands. I haven't driven it yet. Wanted to get one heat cycle through it and retorque the fasteners. I've heard similar stories about the poly mounts but also heard that they settle a bit over time. I'll update once I drive it.