16x8 with coilovers.

5pointSL0

Reaction score
Hey everybody. I just got a 1995 GT but my prior experiences have been with a 1990 LX. On my 1990 model I switched out the 17x9 Cobra replicas with 255/45 tires for 16x8 factory Pony wheels with 245/50 tires and it made a world of difference. Rode smoother, didn't rub, with no noticeable difference in grip (though that could because of tire quality instead of size.) The SN95 I just bought also has 17" Cobras, but with 255/50 tires. The car also has the SR V2 coil-over kit from American Muscle.

Basically, I want confirmation that 16X8 +20 wheels with 245/50 tires will fit right? I know the chassis is basically the same as my 1990 model, but I don't know if the wheel arches protrude the same amount. I also never had coil overs before so I don't know if they would rub the front springs. Using my eyeball gauges, it looks like it would clear the springs by a country mile, but confirmation is always nice. I don't want them to look sunken into the body, but I don't want to be "hella flush" or whatever the kids say these days either because I like having enough clearance to know things won't touch if I hit a bump while steering.

Thank you in advance, I'm sure you all get sick of wheel size posts, but I don't like throwing away such a big chunk of money without being sure on everything.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Basically, I want confirmation that 16X8 +20 wheels with 245/50 tires will fit right? I know the chassis is basically the same as my 1990 model, but I don't know if the wheel arches protrude the same amount. I also never had coil overs before so I don't know if they would rub the front springs. Using my eyeball gauges, it looks like it would clear the springs by a country mile, but confirmation is always nice.

It's technically not the same. SN95 control arms stick out an extra 0.75" more than the Fox, and as a result the strut angle on the spindle is different. It's about 2 degrees closer to horizontal, so technically you should have a little more room on an SN95 vs a Fox.

Whether or not it clears also depends on rim specs. Offset particularly. You'll have to play with an offset calculator to see where the wheel sits in relation. Stock 17' wheels for a 1995 GT would be 17x8 +30 with a 245/45/17 tire. I put those specs into this calculator and it seems that your 16" wheel will sit a little further out. So really what you need to do is see what the fit is like for standard 17x8 wheels on an SN95

1715265132956.png

I have 17x8's on my Sn95 and there's a ton of room around the strut for coil-overs. I have MM coil-overs on my '88LX, so i'm familiar with their fit and how much room they need. I do think a 16" wheel will clear them fine, but that's based on my 3-second napkin calc. I'd suggest you just double check vs take my word for it.

SN95 wheel openings are HUGE compared to the Fox. I have 18x9's with 245/40/18's on my Fox and it's tight. I threw the wheels on my SN95 just to see and there's so much more clearance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online