Is it possible to bind up the drivetrain?

Slykin

Reaction score
What the title says... I replaced my engine/trans mounts and my harmonic balancer. When I removed the harmonic balancer with a giant cheater bar(with new poly mounts in) the engine/transmission felt like it was binding up and the transmission is a bit cock-eyed now. Does this mean the drivetrain is locked into a bound up position and could this be causing an engine vibration that I have? Thanks.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
dafaqu are your talking about.

When removing your harmonic balancer (with the exception of the 03/04 cobras) you should leave the transmission in N, and have a friend push the brakes. If this does not work the transmission should be put into overdrive, while also using the brakes.

anyways, have you tried putting the transmission in N, loosening the engine mounts and transmission mount, and seeing if it returns to its proper position? I'm struggling to understand how they got cock-eyed from rotating a part of the car designed to rotate :p

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
You pryed the balancer off ? If so kiss ur bottom end good bye dude ... Crank walk is up ur alley

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You pryed the balancer off ? If so kiss ur bottom end good bye dude ... Crank walk is up ur alley

ohhhh. he meant he pryed it forward? I thought he used a pry-bar to break the bolt loose (not uncommon).

RichV

Reaction score
Yea, you gotta use a puller for that shit.

I'm kinda lost as well, is your engine/trans not ligning up on all the chassis mounts? Or do you mean the bell is not seated to the back of the motor?

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Speak mustang please, nobody understands the Cantonese shit ur saying

OP
OP
Slykin

Slykin

Reaction score
LMAO. No, I used a puller to remove the HB, with a big cheater bar on my rachet/socket to break the big bolt inside of it loose first. I did this with the transmission in 5th with my dad on the brakes. It felt like the whole drivetrain was "winding up" as I tried to break that bolt. I know it sounds weird... but now my shifter is leaning over just a couple degrees like the whole engine/tranny is rolled over a bit. I think I might need to try what was said above and loosen the motor/trans mount bolts and see if it settles.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Umm..... Am I the only one that used an impact gun to remove that bolt?

PS my car still functions fine in that aspect

OP
OP
Slykin

Slykin

Reaction score
Umm..... Am I the only one that used an impact gun to remove that bolt?

PS my car still functions fine in that aspect

I would have if I had an impact around that day. That probably would have prevented everything from winding up(if it actually did). Though, i'm not sure what other explanations there are for my shifter leaning over only AFTER removing that HB bolt. The breaker bar/ratchet was turning for a while till the bolt actually broke loose.

RichV

Reaction score
Oh, I see. Like everything got clocked a little the same way you were loosening. If you bent the k-member, you'd have to be putting a heluvalot of force on that sucker. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Superman3872

Members online