Wanted: Miscellaneous screws (knee panel; X brace)

maillemaker

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for the 2 screws that hold the knee trim panel on.

Also looking for one of the rear bolts that holds the convertible X-brace in place.

Thanks,
Steve Sheldon

badass98svt

Reaction score
Knee trim panel?
The kick panel down by your feet? It takes a plastic push pin.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the plastic panel or the metal one behind it? I took a bunch of screws from my parts car prior to sending it off.

OP
OP
M

maillemaker

Reaction score
the plastic panel or the metal one behind it? I took a bunch of screws from my parts car prior to sending it off.
The plastic panel. However, Ford seems pretty good about keeping related hardware the same....I wonder if I pull one of the metal panel screws if it might give me something to match?

OP
OP
M

maillemaker

Reaction score
Well, nothing's ever easy. For some reason, the left-hand threaded hole did not want to take an M6-1 screw. All the others were. Naturally I tried to force an M6-1 bolt in there and snapped off the bolt head. Broke off some drill bits trying to drill it out. Ended up using an air chisel to chisel off the protruding stud, and then finally drilled it out. Then it was too big for an M6, so I tapped it for a 1/4-20. I bought an M6-1 tap and chased the rest of the threads.

The reason they knee panel was loose was thanks to the plastic stakes that held the spring retainers breaking.

IMG_8321.JPG
IMG_8320.JPG
So, on tonight's episode of Fixing Snap-Together Fords, I epoxied the spring retainers back in place:
IMG_8322.JPG

Both screws were previously missing, so it was basically hanging on by a single snap post.

Now it is firmly back in place.

But, while sitting on the door sill while working on all of this, my fat butt broke off the side trim.

Fix one thing, break something else...

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Top work and kudos on the fix, M.

“The Snowball Effect” seems to be in full regalia and we’ve ALL experienced it, unfortunately. But, it kinda goes with the territory and that goes for ALL snap-together components on all car brands across the board. It sucks!
However, the sense of accomplishment tends to fuel the ridiculous, unexplainable passion we have for our cars.

Yes… it’s a sickness!! Keep on marching, er.. galloping!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online