‘95 Cobra pads/rotors vs aftermarket?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Are aftermarket pads and rotors worth it versus OE Cobra pads and rotors? Are the slotted or drilled/slotted aftermarket rotors REALLY that much better to justify the investment?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No. Not a track day car. Just want to make it a solid, substantial runner

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Stay away from drilled rotors. They're for the bling bling crowd. I had cracks all over mine. But then I'm known to drive kind of aggressively. I went slotted because I wanted a little bling bling, but solid rotors work fine.

The pad type depends on the driving. I'm currently running Brembo sports because that's what came with the calipers. I like them. I've had good luck with Hawk in the past.

I've heard good things about Duralast GT, but no personal experience. My only experience with Wagner has been on my truck, but they work pretty well even when stopping with a trailer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good info, thanks Yeller!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if its just for a street cruiser then what ever you add is more than you will need. As he said drilled rotors look cool and have a function but long lasting performance is not one of them if you are racing. IF your not racing then your probably fine and will need to weigh the extra $$$ vs the looks.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So much to choose from! StopTech, Brembo, PowerStop, Hawk.

I think I will ditch the drilled/slotted option and go with slotted only. I do like serious bite in my brakes, so I’m thinking Hawk pads? Heard those are pretty darn good and the extra expense is worth it to me if they are, in fact, THAT GOOD

TheOdessa

Reaction score
I have Hawk HPS 5.0 pads. Granted I haven't tried them yet but we will see.

With rotors I've had good luck with R1concepts Geomet series rotors. They have a Geomet coating that resists rust. I absolutely HATE rusted rotors and these rotors havent disappointed after years. Check out their website. Geomet is the coating BMW uses on their rotors and you never see them rusted.

If you click my build thread you'll see I did a GT rotor to Cobra rotor upgrade I did. My old GT rotor is sitting on the floor and rust free.

And if you go Hawk pads check out this thread so you don't endure the headache I had to.

https://www.sn95forums.com/threads/...ipers-issue-being-too-big.75832/#post-1460810

I think I will ditch the drilled/slotted option and go with slotted only. I do like serious bite in my brakes, so I’m thinking Hawk pads? Heard those are pretty darn good and the extra expense is worth it to me if they are, in fact, THAT GOOD

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Honestly, if it's possible, try to found OEM PBR pads. The reason why I'd pick those over many aftermarket ones is because they are designed for OEM use, which means massive cold initial bite, something you'd want in a car that's driven daily. When I had Cobra calipers on my car, I found that PBR pads performed the best on the street (also used StopTech street pad and Hawk HPS), and for track I've had a separate set of pads and rotors, so heat wasn't an issue. Slotted rotors or drilled rotors look cool, but for street (or even track for that matter), I'm not just how much they do. Most people I know who successfully run their cars on track use solid rotors, and they are also the cheapest ones as well.

waynenorcross

Reaction score

Some racing bodies don't allow drilled rotors due to frequent failure.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly, if it's possible, try to found OEM PBR pads. The reason why I'd pick those over many aftermarket ones is because they are designed for OEM use, which means massive cold initial bite, something you'd want in a car that's driven daily. When I had Cobra calipers on my car, I found that PBR pads performed the best on the street (also used StopTech street pad and Hawk HPS), and for track I've had a separate set of pads and rotors, so heat wasn't an issue. Slotted rotors or drilled rotors look cool, but for street (or even track for that matter), I'm not just how much they do. Most people I know who successfully run their cars on track use solid rotors, and they are also the cheapest ones as well.

ReplicaR,
Sounds like what I’m looking for. Recommendations where to get the PBR (OEM) pads and rotors?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
You can try calling PBR directly and see what they say. Just tell them that you're looking for OEM style pad that came in the Cobra caliper, I'm sure they'll have something. Those pads usually came loaded into the caliper when you would order the Cobra kit from Ford Racing, or drive the Cobra off the showroom floor.

https://www.pbrbrakesusa.com/

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
If you're looking for improved braking I would advise staying away from ceramic pads. Hawk calls their more aggressive pads like the HPS "ferrocarbon". In other words, semi-metallic. For a long time I used the Performance Friction 93 compound. Unfortunately they discontinued that compound for the Cobra PBR calipers. BTW, the '99 Cobra PBR calipers have larger pistons than the earlier ones.
The idea behind drilled and slotted rotors was primarily to allow for the pad gasses to escape and not hold the pad off the rotor. Nowadays, pads don't really out-gas that much when heated, so the need for them has kind of gone away. The drilling and slotting does reduce the un-sprung weight a little, but that was not the primary reason for doing this. I put Alcon 4-piston calipers on my car and now run the Hawk Blue in front and Hawk DTC (Dynamic Torque Control) in back because Mustangs lack rear braking pretty bad and the DTC pads are more aggressive. The blue pads have amazingly good cold bite and never fade on road courses.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Great info, CobraRGuy Coincidentally, when I was on their website, I was considering the blue

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online