‘97 Cobra Restomod

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
If you want to have a horn with an aftermarket steering wheel you need something to contact the little track on the backside of the hub (like the old days before airbags).
So I got to thinking, maybe i should just get an old part? Enter the Dorman 49319 Horn Connector for 6 bucks found on amazon. I made a Z shaped bracket, cut off most of those coils, drilled some holes through said bracket and zip tied this to it then connected this thing to the purple wire under the dash.

horncontact.jpg

Viola, working horn. That's a 2" spacer i got off amazon BTW.

horncontact2.jpg

This was standing between me and getting her inspected. next week im sending her down the street to have the AC/heater/brake bleed/inspection stuff all done.

now its time for some quality of life interior work. Console, door panels, gauges, dash wrap, etc.

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
Someone was askaing about the mirror switch. welp, here it is... along with a preview of what i intend to do for gauges.

Behold, the magic of epoxy and fiberglass!

mirror1.jpg

and sanding and bondo

mirror3.jpg

mirror2.jpg

each of those tape rolls are about 4 inches. need to get some more primer.

mirrors4.jpg

cluster 1.png

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
While the car is having some annoying AC/heater/brake bleeding crap done at a local mustang shop down the road i'm working on this. What i'm kinda thinking is I can cut the Bezel to sit flush against a panel similar to this cardboard where the gauges will mount securely to the dashboard.

The idea is, I'll bolt this mount with these 3 holes for my gauges securely in such a way that the bezel will hide the bolts.gauges.jpgmirrorswitch.jpg

95opal

Reaction score
Heres the one i made for my car. You can use the stock cluster mounting points if you make your template to stock specs. I welded some stand offs to the back of my gauge plate to bring it flush with the bezel.

Attachments

• DSCF0136_zps92b2b47f.jpg
    DSCF0136_zps92b2b47f.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
speedhut refused to remove their logos from the gauges so i went another route. these dakota digital vhx series gauges remind me of my SC300 cluster and require nothing custom at all so its all bolt and go. the priority here is precision of function and clean aesthetic. i considered going digital but all things considered these are the best option for me.

my stock cluster is F'd and wasn't much better fromthe factory so before anyone asks thats why its going on the parts shelf.

dd1.jpgdd2.jpg

joe65

Reaction score
Those Dakota instrument panels get used on lots of coyote swaps. I still have a hard time with the price on them, but if they work and work for a long time without issue then enough said.

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
I wanted a center mount tach and 200mph speedo but these do fit the OEM++ style i'm going for.

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
well SHIT LMR just emailed me. they won't be able to ship these out till MARCH of next year. back to the drawing board.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The holley digital dashes can be integrated into a car with out their efi system. The prices are not all that budget friendly but they do come up used from time to time and there are mounts that are made for them as well.

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
I want something without brand names plastered all over it.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I want something without brand names plastered all over it.
Man, I just don’t know if you’re going to be able to pull that off. Everyone wants to display their product. My autometer gauges even have their logo on them.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
could you put some vinyl over it to hide it? Maybe make your own brand/sticker? An svt decal like the old style had?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online

No members online now.