‘97 Cobra Restomod

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
I gave flux core wire a try because this is stainless and it is now abundantly clear that this year i've got to get a tig. I gotta make some covers anyways but here's them waiting on the hangers and new mufflers. These did help with the noise a bit. I'm hoping the magnaflow resonators I've got coming will do the last bit of taming to the sound I need.

wtip1.jpgwtip2.jpg

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
Here you can see the pipes going to the side exhaust. i'm going to add 2 magnaflow round mufflers where those long straight sections are, as well, to tame the sound a bit more.

e17.jpg

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
here's the upclose of one side and yeah i did through the floor subframe connectors (that's those beefy 2" box frames welded in the interior with the outriggers going to the sills).

hanged1.jpg

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
Thanks guys, here's the full shot of the whole shabang before i stick the magnaflow mufflers in.

wtip3.jpg

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
the magnaflows really toned down the harshness of the exhaust note. its not quiet now but it did seem to take the edge off in a big way. i think my truck is now louder than this thing :D Also, i didn't lose any ground clearance so that's cool. win win. In other not so awesome news I think my diff has to much backlash causing a thunk when i go from reverse to forward gears or if i'm not super smooth when i shift. so that's annoying.

mags1.jpgmags2.jpgmags3.jpgmags4.jpg

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
The clunk is very common on irs cars and is most likely from slack in the cv axles. I put brand new Ford axles in mine and after a little while it started clunking again.

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
I think i solved the thunk. the rear diff mount bolts were a little loose. haven't taken it for a drive yet but the thunk is gone on jackstands. if it happens again i'll throw some loctite on them bolts. stupid rain keeping me from playing right now.

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
working on designing the covers for the exhaust and rockers. i'm pretty sold on using some angle aluminum to achieve the clean look but im thinking i may need to make something more robust to handle the wind at high speeds.

sidepipecovers.jpg

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
not yet. I'm trying to come up with a better way to secure to to the door and eliminate creaking but i'll keep that in mind.
oh but ya know what i do need? something nice to plug that hole left by the manual crank i won't be using.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online