00' 3.8 EGR Delete w/o tune ?help?

Dutch_6sick6

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been answered. I have been searching for 3 days.
I got a tad over zealous after seeing some EGR Delete sh*t on the interwebs and since I was pulling my passenger header/manifold to weld the connector back on at the bottom, I figured might as well cap off EGR bung hole while I'm at it.
No tune, didn't know I needed at that point.
I broke tube (several times) to get it off easier.
Put all back together and I started it up while I ran inside and got ready to leave, came out to leave and it was knocking.
So- I need options from this point.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Man, an egr will not make the engine knock. I run my town car with deleted egr and no tune. It runs fine, just throws a code. You’ve got another issue going on.

OP
OP
Dutch_6sick6

Dutch_6sick6

Reaction score
It wasn't knocking, the header broke. I repaired header and removed EGR setup and now it's knocking. I read that removing EGR can cause early ignition/detonation, so it combusting before pistons reach top dead center would be that thud I'm guessing....

07GtS197

Reaction score
What did you weld? Lwarrior is right the egr won’t cause that. The egr doesn’t even function at idle. You have something else going on. Check that the exhaust manifold bolts haven’t started backing out and check for leaks.

OP
OP
Dutch_6sick6

Dutch_6sick6

Reaction score
If my weld bead on inside of header is too pronounced effectively reducing the I.D. could that cause enough back pressure to make the noise?
Maybe? No? Hell yes!?
It isn't a lot but. It is there. I filed it down a bit. Can't get a grinder in that little hole. Lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online