01 GT p0190 smells like gas

Mark01sn95

Reaction score
Hello I have an 01 GT convertible. It has had this problem for a couple years but I thought it may have been a problem with my tune and aftermarket intake parts. I’ve done some further troubleshooting and found a p0190 code for my check engine light, it smells like gas while running, it takes a little while cranking to start it up and when it does it stutters a bit till it gets to idle speed. I used my tuner to catalog the fuel pressure across the injectors and what I found was when the car was off it was around 0.42 psi. When I primed the fuel pump it went to about 2psi.When it started it shot up to 38-40psi instantly. After I shut the car off the due pressure dropped down to about 6 psi in less than 2 minutes. I’ve checked the vacuum hose on the fuel rail pressure sensor and there was no fuel. I can’t see any visible due leaks either. When the car is off for a while the gas smell goes away. Also right after shut down I can hear a liquid trickling sound. My guess is fuel going back into the gas tank. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Thanks.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sounds like you confirmed the err with the tuner now you just need to find the leak. Follow your nose.... Start under the hood and see if any parts of the rail are wet after its running and if not then follow the lines down the passenger side.

OP
OP
M

Mark01sn95

Reaction score
sounds like you confirmed the err with the tuner now you just need to find the leak. Follow your nose.... Start under the hood and see if any parts of the rail are wet after its running and if not then follow the lines down the passenger side.
It kinda smells more towards the back or the passenger side of the engine bay but I can’t see any signs of fluids leaking anywhere. Could it be the canister purge valve behind the wheel well? Or would that not cause such a drastic pressure drop after shutdown?

OP
OP
M

Mark01sn95

Reaction score
Fix the issue with the FRP
1 of the 4 below
  • Faulty Fuel Rail pressure sensor
  • Faulty Wires to the rail pressure sensor
  • Corrosion in connector plugs to the rail pressure sensor.
  • Faulty ECU
I don’t think it’s the sensor itself, the electrical components look clean and when I remove the vacuum hose that goes to it there is no fuel smell or liquid coming out so that also doesn’t explain the gas smell. With the pressure drop and gas smell I think there’s a leak somewhere maybe just vapors. Just not sure which components I should be looking at

95opal

Reaction score
All fine and dandy but the only thing that will trip a p0190 is the 4 bullets i posted. Could there be other issues yes but i would fix the code first.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
It kinda smells more towards the back or the passenger side of the engine bay but I can’t see any signs of fluids leaking anywhere. Could it be the canister purge valve behind the wheel well? Or would that not cause such a drastic pressure drop after shutdown?
common places are at the fuel filler neck(especially if you dropped the tank and didn't replace it) or at the fuel filter. Again follow your nose and you will find it.

OP
OP
M

Mark01sn95

Reaction score
common places are at the fuel filler neck(especially if you dropped the tank and didn't replace it) or at the fuel filter. Again follow your nose and you will find it.
I just started it up again and it’s definitely coming from the passenger front wheel well area. Gonna pull off the wheel and wheel well cover tomorrow to look at the canister purge valve

Mike’s

Reaction score
Check the fuel pressure schrader valve make sure the valve core is tight. Right front passenger side at the front of the intake fuel rail. I had the same problem on a 01 GT convertible. It does take much fuel to have the fuel smell.

OP
OP
M

Mark01sn95

Reaction score
Check the fuel pressure schrader valve make sure the valve core is tight. Right front passenger side at the front of the intake fuel rail. I had the same problem on a 01 GT convertible. It does take much fuel to have the fuel smell.
The schrader valve looks fine

OP
OP
M

Mark01sn95

Reaction score
found the fuel hose on the green side completely corroded and buckled in when the engine was running so I’m gonna replace that.

Attachments

• 530F12FB-C77F-4535-AA82-10AC8D167D2A.jpeg
    530F12FB-C77F-4535-AA82-10AC8D167D2A.jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
M

Mark01sn95

Reaction score
No auto part store in Hawaii carries the hose I need so I guess I’ll have to order it online and wait till it gets here to fix it.

OP
OP
M

Mark01sn95

Reaction score
Well I got the new hose installed finally but it didn’t fix my fuel smell problem coming from the passenger side engine bay. Any other ideas?

Monday

Reaction score
Gas Cap.

Fuel Filler Neck Grommet.

Fuel Vapour Valve Grommet.

I can't say this enough to anyone - Clamp the crap outta your car. It's a compressor. Leaks and Compressors are not friends. If you don't think you need a new fuel pressure reg then at least use dielectric grease around the base - I used it on the EGR, all vacuum lines, and whatever else I think or thought sucks or blows :)

If you can, guess what seems to be a common theme throughout each image? GREASE!CLAMPS!!

You get where it's going?

Cheers

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 9

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
The valves where the vacuum lines hook up under fender well any thing cracked or broken or other rotted lines present

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online