01 GT Road Course Build - Fully Torqued Racing

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Picked up an 01 GT a week ago for 3k, time to make it a race car.

Initial thoughts:
1) Holy crap these things are slow when they're stock.
2) What is with these brakes, I'm probably going to die.
3) This paint is ugly

IMG_7906-1024x683.jpg

Anyways, first order of business was to install the clutch cable / firewall adjuster / quadrant / pedal height adjuster from Maximum Motorsports. Makes a world of difference. I still have the MGW shifter from the old car, but the '96 was a T45 and this car is a T3650 so it wouldn't fit. If anyone wants to buy a T45 MGW shifter (96-98 iirc), let me know. The shifter will arrive tomorrow and I'll install it with the old handle, because the old style is freakin sexy.

Next we promptly removed the interior and installed a harness bar for the mean time until it gets a cage.

IMG_7991-1024x683.jpg

FullSizeRender-9-1024x683.jpg

Next things to go in
Weds 5/25 - MGW Short Throw
Thurs 5/26 - 2015 Mustang 4 Piston 14" Brakes

Still debating which coilovers to go with, probably will happen in a week or two. After that we'll get the rear suspension dialed with a watts link and torque arm, I'm thinking we'll custom fabricate something from aluminum rather than go with a steel torque arm.

For wheels and tires we have some 18x10 wheels that we'll be running an undisclosed tire on, probably will end up having to run fender flares to get everything to fit.

Paint and vinyls will most likely come last, should end up looking like this:

10838833_760294830718916_1879597518_n.jpg

That forza render tho... very professional. Kind of a revival of the old car, just with a new twist.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Now this is going to be cool! Make sure to take a lot of pictures. I cant wait to watch this unfold.

OP
OP
Pete@FTR

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
MGW shifter came in yesterday, 2015 14" brakes should be here today. Will either install today/tonight or tomorrow, video to come as well.

As I discussed with [MENTION=9209]ReplicaR[/MENTION], I think we'll end up stripping the anodize off the handle and getting it done in red to match everything, probably will get the steering wheel hub done too. Should be sweet.

mgwshifter-1024x683.jpg

OP
OP
Pete@FTR

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
This should be fun!

I need those driver/passenger AC vents and headliner! Lol

Headliner is all yours once the cage goes in! A couple of the AC vents are busted... also the AC is a pretty nice luxury, possibly worth the weight lol

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Headliner is all yours once the cage goes in! A couple of the AC vents are busted... also the AC is a pretty nice luxury, possibly worth the weight lol

Lol. AC is nice, especially down here in the arm pit of hell (Florida). AC is a necessity. The dash vents (not the center console ones) are the two i need. Im in zero rush though, a fuel system and twin turbo kit may be arriving here in a few weeks to keep me busy. Lol

RichV

Reaction score
Very cool Pete!

Are you building for a specific W2W class? Or just a TT/Time Attack car?

Looks like a nice base! Better than my 95 at $3500.

OP
OP
Pete@FTR

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Very cool Pete!

Are you building for a specific W2W class? Or just a TT/Time Attack car?

Looks like a nice base! Better than my 95 at $3500.

Thanks Rich. I really would like to race it w2w but there's not a good class for it that actually runs in nor cal, as far as I know. Plus, my driving skills are probably lacking a bit right now.

The main reason for the car is to be able to gather data on some new parts we're working on. We're going into some new territory as far as what has actually been done to mustangs before, so there is going to be a fair bit of trial and error with the new products (and subsequently the car) before it is track ready

OP
OP
Pete@FTR

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
S550 rakes went on today... well, sort of. I thought we had two 14" rotors laying around but as it turns out we had a 14" and a 13", so one side is still waiting for a rotor. The S550 calipers required a little modification to fit, which I will get into explaining later.

IMG_8046-1024x683.jpg

The S550 calipers are considerably larger than the brembos, and the pistons are 7mm larger.
Brembo is on the left, S550 on the right.
FullSizeRender-10-1024x643.jpg

Reaction score
WTF!?!?!?! 3k for that? what a steal! and with a 99 01 cobra front! PROPS! also im interested to see what you have in store for the s550 brake on the new edge, ive been hoping you would design something for those to fit, id like to go that new on my car before i get my wilwoods. what about the rears?

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Going to be checking this out. going to be fun.

wmfateam

Reaction score
Ah I just helped sell a set of those calipers for someone!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Pete@FTR

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
First drive with the new brakes today, didn't go too hard because I'm still letting the brakes bed. Stopping power is great, pedal feel is great (I expected it to suck), but the rear brakes need to be upgraded and the suspension geometry needs to be updated to compensate for the amount of dive now.

OP
OP
Pete@FTR

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
do you think you can fab up a big brake kit for the rears or are you going to do the bear 13in rotors?

The plan is to replicate the stock SN95 front mounting pattern on the rear if possible, so that you can run 13" cobra fronts out back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.