01 Turbo Cobra Build... Thing... Kinda

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I guess it's time to come clean. I bought my buddies cobra, which belonged to svt slobra before him.

01 Cobra:

On3 turbo kit with a Turbosmart waste gate and my Turbonetics 72mm which some of you may remember I had for sale a long ass time ago, he bought it from me.
60lb injectors
QA1 K member w/ solid mounts (not my first choice but it's there)
UPR coilovers
Centerforce clutch
AEM digital gauges (wideband, oil press, boost)
Custom Corsa exhaust
Poly IRS bushings

I'm sure I'm forgetting tons of stuff, but I still have it in his garage so I haven't had the opportunity to go over everything.

Long story short, I pretty much helped him every step of the way building it. I grew up with him, he lives down the street from me, so I was always around to help out. We had taken it out a number of times after he had gotten it tuned after the build. The one time he takes it out by himself I get a phone call that he thinks he blew it up... I get there and see this

A few weeks later he sold the darkstars on it and started looking for new wheels. 2 days after that he asks me if I want to buy it. Come to find out that it's the intake cam bolt that backed out, he opened the valve cover and showed me. He decided that he didn't feel like messing with it and wanted to catch up on some bills, and play with his 15 Ecoboost instead. So... I bought it. Here's some pics

And who could forget this lol

After it was tuned at Street Lethal Performance, it made 470whp at 5psi. I won't push it any further than that until I get some pistons and rods for it.

At this point I have a timing cover sitting around, I just need to get a valve cover, cam bolt, and get it torn apart and back together by mid May. Also I need to replace the clutch cable, put a poly trans mount in it, and buy the rear wheels and all 4 tires. Wheels are black/polished lip 18x9/10 GT4's. I'll be running 305/35 R888's. If I can't get the tires ordered before May I'll probably end up replacing the bent front wheel from my GT and running those wheels for the events I'm attending. I'm excited to get started on this thing

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Who are you? Please made an intro thread!

Car looks great! Get slobra back on here too.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I've gotta see this thing at some point this summer. Good luck on replacing the parts, hopefully this crap weather ends soon and you can get going on it!

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
dam that first pic of the actual car :fap2:

car looks good man!! how do you like the upr coilovers?

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Who is this kid???

Oh, and flip those cobra emblems around the right way! :D

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Who are you? Please made an intro thread!

Car looks great! Get slobra back on here too.

Ha! And thanks man, I'm super excited. Jim is about to buy a red 99 as we speak too, maybe I'll get him to post it up

I've gotta see this thing at some point this summer. Good luck on replacing the parts, hopefully this crap weather ends soon and you can get going on it!

You definitely will man, we're going to try to get some meets going in our group, and we're all inclusive, we'll meet in Columbus if needed. And I know! The cold, snowy shit sucks haha. But I have a 15x40 with 20' ceiling that's heated with electricity that it will be going into eventually. So it's not too bad :)

dam that first pic of the actual car :fap2:

car looks good man!! how do you like the upr coilovers?

Haha thanks Tony! The pics with the bullitt's are how Jim had it sitting when Anthony bought it. I definitely think it sat RIGHT like that. So my street trim wheel/tire combo is an 18" black with polished lip to re create that perfect image haha.

And the coilovers aren't too bad. I think he got the softer spring rate because they really bounce.. I might change those out. In terms of installation it wasn't too bad at all

Darkstarts are probably my favorite drag wheels. So sick.

I agree there. His weren't the right backspace so they stuck out more than they should have, so I'm glad he sold them. But I definitely think I'll pick up another set for track days and throw some ET drags on them

Who is this kid???

Oh, and flip those cobra emblems around the right way! :D

Back from the dead :) Lol when you commented on my status I realized how detached from the forum boards I had become, so I thought it only right that I come back

And I don't think I ever noticed that before ha!

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Guess who's back, back, back.....back again, gain, gain....Sweet car dude! Was wondering when we'd get to see some pics!

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Rz he's got an 01 Bullitt now, that he was in the process of swapping a C head into. But he's picking up a 99 Cobra tomorrow, so he's dumping off the Bullitt and eaton swapping the 99. His plan is to keep it, because he's forced to look at his old car (now mine) and know that he's not getting it back. He's finally learning, lol.

Jeremy me too man, I've had to see it everyday for 3 years now, and help progress it into the thing it was. And now I'm turning it back into what Jim had it, only a hell of a lot faster ;)

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome back man. I love the 99/01 Cobras, probably more than the 03/04s to be honest. Are you keeping the silver GT?

RichV

Reaction score
Cobra balla'.

Nice, looks like a good clean canvas with some mods already.

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Welcome back man. I love the 99/01 Cobras, probably more than the 03/04s to be honest. Are you keeping the silver GT?

Thanks bud! I see yours was tuned by Terry, it was actually tuned by him as well. Tho, I can't get ahold of him to save my effing life now, so I'll probably take it to my guys at Big3 for any future tuning work. And I was initially in the market for an 03/04, with how incredibly affordable they are nowadays. But then disaster struck this car (or so we thought) and he came to me with it. I helped him build it, it's got my turbo on it, the kids like my brother.. I knew I was gonna buy it. I've envied it since we went down and picked it up.

And yeah, silver stallion isn't going anywhere. Ever. I'll sell this before that. Reason being it's MY car. I did all the work on it, did all the learning on it, and turned it into what it is. I only HELPED turn the 01 into what it is. I tried to steer him away from on3 for instance, but he did it anyways. At least he listened to me and replaced the core components! To our surprise it has no leaks either. Down the road tho, I think I might grab an F150 5.0 and do a little swappin on the silver stallion... It's my daily so it doesn't need anything super radical ;)

Hey him to post up some progress

I'll shoot him a message

Cobra balla'.

Nice, looks like a good clean canvas with some mods already.

Thanks Rich. My first 4v. Definitely a clean car, when it's clean you'd never guess it's got 146k on it. Zero rust anywhere on it, including surface rust. And the modifications are a huge plus, it's the start of whats going to be a fantastic build

I concur. :)

I do have to agree with you guys actually. Don't get me wrong I love the 03/04 as much as the next guy, one of my best buds has a redfire that he's putting a steggy on as we speak, and I fell in love with that car, BUT... There's just something about the 99/01's..

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Friday night we threw some wheels on it, rolled it down to my house and called AAA to have them take it down to my garage.

Some pics from that night

Today I decided to go down and start working on it

Then as I left it tonight

Doesn't look much different than the last picture, but it is. I'm stuck trying to remove the driver side valve cover. It keeps hitting the mastery cylinder. I do NOT want to have to remove it, because I hate getting up under the dash. I have the K member completely unbolted from the driver side, and bolts loosened on passenger side. Also have the clutch cable removed, and I still can't get it off. Any suggestions? I'm wondering if the tubular k member and solid mounts are why I'm having this issue...

Also in other news I spoke with Justin on the phone today, and am now an editor on Mod Motor Mustangs. VERY excited about that.

I'll keep this thread updated as I go along

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Good progress man! As far as removing the covers on the drivers side goes, it couldn't be done on my 2v without a swivel socket and a wobble extension. I'd assume this would be the same case on the 4v given the limited space to get in there. I was able to break them loose with 1/4 drive ratchet, this will save some space too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online