01 Turbo Cobra Build... Thing... Kinda

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Good progress man! As far as removing the covers on the drivers side goes, it couldn't be done on my 2v without a swivel socket and a wobble extension. I'd assume this would be the same case on the 4v given the limited space to get in there. I was able to break them loose with 1/4 drive ratchet, this will save some space too.
Thanks buddy! Anthony's dad pulled all the bolts out before I was even offered the car. So that much was done already. I just can't get it out lol. The master cylinder is in the way. I think I'm going to try to lower the passenger side of the k member instead of the driver like I have. I can't believe how much effort this is. Good news is the cam bolt IS the only noticeable issue. I'll see more once I get the timing cover off

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Made some more progress today.

Valve cover came off (which for anyone buying a tubular k, stay the fuuck away from QA1. This this is the biggest pile of shit. We struggled so much putting it in, and now I'm having the same alignment issues after dropping it to get the valve cover off)

Found the culprit...

If you look closely at those pictures you'll notice the bolt is missing part of itself... Well, here's why

So I started tearing apart the turbo kit to get to the timing cover

I'll get started on the timing cover, most likely tomorrow. But here's how I left it tonight

Overall I'm pleased with my progress so far considering I've only worked on it two days. The bolt may pose an issue, but I'm not really too worried about it. I'm sure I'll get it out. What concerns me is WHY the bolt broke, and will it happen again? Timing assembly appears to be tight still, I'm thankful for the notch in the cam gear, otherwise it certainly would have spun and caused valvetrain issues.

The turbo kit is a ***** to take off if you've never messed with one. I wasn't around the day my buddy and his dad put the kit on so I didn't get to see how everything went together. I'm just going based off what I know about how things work.

I'll also be taking this into work to have one of our welders chop off the 2.5" Y section and replace it with a 3" Y, then my co worker and myself will also be making 3" Y back for it. It will be identical to an IRS cat back, only 3", and no muffler. The flow pipe will be extra long to replace the muffler. We already have the programming in our computer so it "should" be pretty easy. Then everything will be 3" and I will be much happier

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Got around to it more today.

Removed:
Radiator fan
Drained coolant
Alternator
Coolant crossover
Coolant hoses
Crank pulley
Shaker scoop
Half of the timing cover bolts
Coolant tank
Unbolted all the passenger side valve cover bolts

I'm making progress on it. Shortly I'll have it completely disassembled. I found that the cam sensor is (I think) broken off from where the bolt hit it. That worries me a little because I do NOT want to remove the oil pan if I don't have to. Anyways, here's the pics, what most people actually come here for..

Beginning of today:

Some progress made:

A little more:

My gangster ass timing cover template (for anyone doing a timing cover this is VERY helpful, wish I had done it on my 2v):

And finally how I left it today:

And for anyone who cares, I've also been given admin status on Mod Motor Mustangs. So I'm an editor on the main page (a lot of the pictures you see are from me) and I'm an admin on the main group. Honestly, I freakin love it. It's like a dream come true for me to be a part of it. And here's my lanyard :headbang: :

I'll keep this updated the more I get done.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
the timing cover is not fun, however i think you have the right idea with the cardboard cutout. hope you dont have to drop the oil pan either, looks like a huge PITA

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
"I'll keep this updated the I get more done."

So that failed. I didn't read back anymore than those words, and you shouldn't either. I blew it up on its maiden voyage, and now I have an actual date to know just how long ago this happened, and just how long it's been down lmao. Almost 7 years!

Long, long, 7 year long, story short:

-I melted a piston, trashed the WAP
-Decided I wanted to go 5.4 4v (just shoot me)
-Sold the 3650
-Pulled a 5.4 4v from a navigator at a junk yard
-Had the block cleaned up, K1 rods and Wiseco pistons put in it
-Bought an Aussie Boss 260 intake (it's at a buddies getting an aluminum upper built)
-Sidlined it probably 16 times
-Decided I wanted to go twin turbo (also bad idea)
-Bought a hotside that I have to modify to fit
-Bought a tig welder to learn how to tig so I can modify said hot side and build a cold side
-Got married and bought a house
-Further sidelined the project
-Attended all ModNationals so far and get more great (bad) ideas every time I go
-So I Bought some Bullseye Power turbos
-More sideline action
-Somewhere in there bought a GT500
-Also bought a 6.7 alumiduty

Sooooo yeah.... It's been a long, drawn out process and just absolutely haven't made much progress on it lmaoooo. I'm hoping this revival of rediscovering the forums will help keep things moving in the right direction, but don't be surprised if it doesn't. Here's how it sits as of November 2021, it looks absolutely different today. And also, here's the other vehicles I mentioned

Attachments

• 20211118_192459.jpg
    20211118_192459.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 7
  • FB_IMG_1643416389645.jpg
    FB_IMG_1643416389645.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 8

Snorky

Reaction score
Wow.. i feel like. I just read the summation of my green car since 2015. i think the major problem you had reoccurring in the first motor to this second project revolves around turbochargers. Big 5.4 4v.. yeah challenging enough.. but the project is NEVER finished, or quite right with a turbo. Makes you mad as a dog.. glad to see you are coming back to reality.

I will say though... when off the jackstands turbos are very fast.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Welcome back . I still see you on fb all the time but not here

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online