02 gt dying

07GtS197

Reaction score
I’ll try to keep it brief. After I cleaned my car I went to start it up and move it and it would start but die. I just barely moved it off the driveway and pulled the battery to charge it because it was getting low and I knew it was going to be a few weeks anyway. So this stalling thing happened a while ago and it was just because I was low on gas. Well I threw in 4 gallons of fresh gas and the battery but it did the same thing as before. It’ll run for about 20 seconds then dies and once it dies the fuel pump primes again so I don’t think its the fuel pump. I guess it could be a vacuum leak too. What do you guys think?

By the way I hate my jlt cai. It looks cheesy and the fit isn’t great to be honest. I think it could be leaking at the silicone fitting between the cai and throttle body but it won’t run long enough for me to run over and listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silver95bird

Reaction score
is the iac sticking?
give it just a touch of the gas pedal and see if it stays alive until you let off.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I forgot to mention I unplugged the iac and it won’t run. I have a 75mm throttle body and its set to be almost fully closed, though I should turn it up. So I know its not the iac. It’ll die when I hit the gas so it seems like its either maf or fuel system somewhere.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
"Never go full IAC unplugged."

I've run 75mmTBs before, and they dont require unplugging the IAC or adjusting.
The IAC tends to get gummed up with crap and need to be cleaned every so often though. The TB should be closing fully and letting the IAC do it's job.

Leaving the TB partially open is masking an underlying issue like tuning issues.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
There seems to be a lack of concensus with that. It seems like some say to adjust it to about 5-600 rpms with it unplugged and others agree with you. I personally like to adjust it to the former so the iac duty cycle is low and if it were to get stuck closed the car could still run. I should clean it though.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
If it started with a low fuel problem I would start with a new fuel filter to begin with. If you were sucking off the bottom of the tank and there was any crap left from dirty gas you sucked it into the filter. I know as I did it myself. This is assuming that the security light is not flashing. If you can stick a fuel pressure valve on the stock rails and see what it reads.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
If it started with a low fuel problem I would start with a new fuel filter to begin with. If you were sucking off the bottom of the tank and there was any crap left from dirty gas you sucked it into the filter. I know as I did it myself. This is assuming that the security light is not flashing. If you can stick a fuel pressure valve on the stock rails and see what it reads.

John actually suggested that, I have to see if my gauge still works tomorrow. I have a fuel filter sitting in my garage somewhere too. And no the theft light is not flashing.

Addicted

Reaction score
This is just me thinking out loud, but I have seen the rubber hose thats attached to the pump get a hole and bleed of pressure. I forget how long it takes for pressure to go back down to 0, but if I remember correctly, it should take some time. Fuel pressure gauge it is. When you start it up, does it run the same amount of time every time, and directly shut off? Or does it stumble like its running out of gas? How it shuts off will more than likely tell on itself. Hope you get it figured out man.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Long story short the stupid maf fell off the cai and was resting in the fenderwell. Damn I really don’t like my jlt cai now lol. I put on one of those cheap ones I had hoarded years ago for my 00 gt as a stop gap until I get something else.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Yeah I went to move the cai around to look for vacuum leaks and felt like the filter end was a little light. I popped the heat shield off and wouldn’t you know the maf and filter were sitting on the splash shield. I gotta tell you, the jlt next gen cai looks good in pics and cleans up the engine bay but man does it look cheesy in person and was a bitch to install. Anyone who wants it go ahead and send me an offer. I’m definitely not reinstalling it.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Yeah true, its just that its always something with this car. Not gonna lie its starting to get on my nerves.

Addicted

Reaction score
I understand bro, I've got around $15K of receipts for my 97 that I keep in a folder. Eventually you will have gone through everything, and she will be travel worthy then. I wouldn't hesitate to take off to Cali in mine, but right now I can't pull out of the driveway:p

Addicted

Reaction score
How long have you had it? I used to have a red '00, and I regret selling it. I bought if for $1,500 with a rod knock. I ended up selling it with a good spare engine. The guy that bought it put it together, and the trans (4r70w) lasted 4 days after he bought it. Even though the trans didn't last him, I still lost more $ than he did.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I bought it in September of 2015 so 4 and a half years. Its been reliable and hasn’t needed much except for the little things really.

Addicted

Reaction score
It's the little things that kill, and conversations kill too. Sorry, I'm a music junkie!:cool:

Addicted

Reaction score
I never throw any old parts away because most of the time I take them off before they technically aren't bad, plus I keep them to help out others that hasn't had such good luck. The sun shines on a dog's behind every once in a while.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online