02 L Swap in 2000 GT

QwikFourSix

Reaction score
Whats up guys, new to this forum. Wanna start out by introducing myself, my names Brandon, im 20, I currently own a 2000 Mustang that im doing a 5.4 swap on out f a 2002 lightning. Never done much on mod motors. Just lookin for some pointers and advice on my build.. I plan on using the HPS Hardball'r 5.4 intake, 24# injectors, svt focus fuel pump, and basically just freshening the motor up. It has about 90k-95k miles on it with no issues. I plan on staying N/A with this engine, a daily driver. What would be a respectable amount to bore this engine over, maybe .020? What pistons would be good for a n/a application, I plan on keeping the heads and having them ported, with a nice set of cams. What cams will be a good bang for my buck? Supporting mods for cams also like springs, came gears, retainers? Etc etc. Ive heard comps are alright but Ive also heard that MHS could get me a nice set with better numbers than comps. Any advice will be appreciated.
ff88aeecee44c2ea85ba0829de12038f.jpg

a253a2ea12c1fa676417120a2096c1fe.jpg

8ad57b05ab54dc226226fc48d9734e96.jpg

a01385601374441b28714799b3cf8ba5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If the engine is truly a lightning long block, the pistons are 18cc dish yeilding any possibility for higher compression. Swap the pistons to at least a flat top or source out some specific 5.4l pistons with a dish for your desired compression. If you decide to use the stock lightning long block, youll be FAR disappointed with the results. Even after bolting on every possible go fast goody (besides forced induction) the hp production is very disappointing. The intake port simply can not support the demands of the piston speed. Get the compression up and use some sick cams. Im mean like the biggest cam you can get your hands on, cause nothing phases the drive ability of the 5.4l 2v. No stall needed, daily driving compatible, no worries. The torque production is beyond any engine I know of (besides diesel)

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Good luck getting a hard baller I have been on a wait list for like 18 months.... I have one already too.

.020 doesn't yield much I did it simply to get my bores perfect and the. 010 selection of off the shelf pistons was poor.

MHS is no longer check out their FB page.... the new company is legit and (Kevin?) Still works there.

JDM or JLP are big in the lightning world and have some good off the shelf cam selection cms is another good cam selection.

If you're doing pistons do rods.

OP
OP
QwikFourSix

QwikFourSix

Reaction score
Yes its a true lightning long block, also Ill look around for a nice set of cams with good numbers. And yes im doing rods, pistons, the whole 9 yards. Did mhs change their name or something? Never dealt with them

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Youre better off to utilize the long block in the form it is. Swap it in and blow it! Achieving 300rwhp from a n/a stock head 5.4l 2v is near impossible. Even ported heads dont make the cut. Just plan on force inducing!

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Yes its a true lightning long block, also Ill look around for a nice set of cams with good numbers. And yes im doing rods, pistons, the whole 9 yards. Did mhs change their name or something? Never dealt with them

Nick or Nate the guy who ran MHS sold the company to a companion of his. Allegedly still works for the new company. I read work became overwhelming and quality suffered a little..... that's just internet gossip I read. I have talked to the shop owner of the company who bought them out and several prominent people have coached for them

OP
OP
QwikFourSix

QwikFourSix

Reaction score
Im completely clueless now. Knowing that itll take that long to recieve an HPS intake definitely changes my mind. Idek anymore. Its becomibg such a headache with no motivation and no guidance, that im contemplating putting another 4.6 2v in it.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Youre miles ahead already focusing to the direct swap of a 4.6l. Im telling you, their are no hp gains swaping to a 5.4l 2v. The 2v intake ports just cant support the demands the 5.4l piston speeds reach. GREAT for a torque pulling monster, but poor for hp performance.

Now with this said, you can swap in a 5.4l 2v with an awesome loping cam and it be very mild to drive daily. The torque output from these engines are crazy. A BIG cam to a 4.6l adds complications to drive ability, but totally the opposite to the 5.4l....even with 273rear gears.

That HPS intake is $750 or you can snag an edelbrock 4.6l intake and get it widen for probably less coin.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Look for a lightning lower intake manifold and have a hat built or use the 4.6 manifold adapters

OP
OP
QwikFourSix

QwikFourSix

Reaction score
Well, change of heart with the setup. Im picking up a complete lightning superxharger setup this friday. It comes with a gt500 coolant tank and a lightning heat exchanger but ill be looking to buy a 03-04 cobra coolant tank and heat exchanger if anybody knows where I can get one. D3VST has recommended jdm, jlp, and cms for cams, so ill check into those companies. Im looking for a pretty aggressive set of cams though. Also changing the cage pulley on the setup to the hub and ring style.
3a86d1f72e2b5166145077ebf3ae3cc1.jpg

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
I would spend the extra money and get a nice heat exchanger. Lightning force performance has a good one as well as eBay. Either dual pass or a really thick on can't go wrong.

Do you have the tensioner set up for the belt? I'll post a pic shortly.

Any idea on boost range?
Any reason for the caged pulley?

Carnage281

Reaction score
I had also thought about doing this swap, but the fact the supercharger sits so tall was what steered me away from doing it. Good luck with the swap tho, can't wait to see it.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I love it. Mo engine mo better! Kinda like the hotrod toys were the engine is entirely to big...yup ..love it!

OP
OP
QwikFourSix

QwikFourSix

Reaction score
Im not goin with a cage style. Probably 10-12. No pic of the setup.

Rz5.0 ill be in touch with you.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Just let me know. . Ill be gone for two weeks. But if you want them.. ill let you have them cheap when i get back. .

OP
OP
QwikFourSix

QwikFourSix

Reaction score
D3VST8R do you happen to have the pic of the tensioner setup?

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
D3VST8R do you happen to have the pic of the tensioner setup?

28fbf5772abf182058e91453b8d48bdb.jpg

I just painted mine.

This is the stock set up. There are moto blue additional idlers, larger idlers, magnum powers has a whole different bracket that is suppose to be better. And of course the tensioned.

I'll try and grab a better pic later here is my Harley truck
055f4e9707cccaa44a282d8ce0597700.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online