02 losing power above 3k rpm. Anyone with similar issue...

Wild Horses

Reaction score
I'm kinda stumped and really want to avoid throwing parts at this car until I can get it to the shop I work at monday for the data reader. My problem gradually started when I noticed she was a little down on power. I figured it may have been some bad gas I got somewhere. Wasn't too bad. Then the other day it had trouble starting in the morning after it sat over night. On my way home from work the same day one of the rubber hoses that comes off the EGR tube blew off at 3k RPM and I imediately thought its a clogged cat or bad EGR. At that point the power loss was significant at WOT and felt like a six cylinder. I have since deleted the EGR with a block off plate, removed it's vacuum lines, feed tube and turned it off with my tuner. Other than getting rid of a small vacuum leak I didn't really know I had due to a blown diaphragm I still have NO POWER over 3k. It's like I'm trying to make a pull through all gears with my E Brake up. It has no codes yet but the service engine soon light did come on... I've not yet checked fuel pressure. All of my diagnostic tools are locked up at the shop. I've got a new fuel filter here that I'm gonna throw on in the morning. Just need some ideas to think on.. Does this seem like a clogged cat to anyone else or more a fuel related issue? Possible pump going bad slowly? FPRegulator maybe? The car doesn't break up or miss so I'm ruling out ignition. It just takes forever to get through a gear. I know it's something simple, I just need to pin point it. Right now any insight may put me on the right track. Maybe I can make it to the race track tomorrow night. Thanks in advance.

I HAVE CLEANED MY MAF. My throttle body is brand new and super clean inside. No vacuum leaks. I have smoke tested it since the EGR delete. I've been searching this site along with Google for anything close with minimal results.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Clogged cat....my guess. My experience with a clogged cat is other vehicles and not specific to a modular mustang, but your description is right along the symptoms of the cars. Cars ran perfect, idled perfect, and even had descent take off, but absolutely no grunt or rpm capabilites.

So their you have it! Time to upgrade to high flow cats! Better yet ....DELETE them.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Clogged cat....my guess. My experience with a clogged cat is other vehicles and not specific to a modular mustang, but your description is right along the symptoms of the cars. Cars ran perfect, idled perfect, and even had descent take off, but absolutely no grunt or rpm capabilites.

So their you have it! Time to upgrade to high flow cats! Better yet ....DELETE them.

Im picking up an off road Mac pro chamber for 100 bucks tomorrow so we will see if that fixes it. Figured I'm gonna be needing one anyway. Now I've got an excuse to buy one. Hopefully it's not fuel and I'm good to go after that. It's very irritating.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Oh and I've got a scrap yard that pays $70 for my H-pipes with the cats on them so it's really a $30 mac prochamber I'm getting. Lol

chris91

Reaction score
You'll love the sound of the prochamber. I've had them on all of my cars and loved it.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I hope that was your issue. I had it happen to me on an rx7 and once I swapped to high flow cats it fixed it.

I've had similar symptoms on my mustang but it was the fuel filter and it didn't last long at all, only a few seconds it would bog down and lose power then be ok again.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
YUP! All power restored with the pro chamber and sounds nasty as hell!!! I can def feel the extra power on the top end! LOVE IT

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
You'll love the sound of the prochamber. I've had them on all of my cars and loved it.

This is my first one and I'm running little 12" resonators after the chamber....no mufflers lol. It sounds rediculous...like an old hot rod.

Your car is looking super mean btw. Really digging those new wheels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online