03-04 Fog Lights in a 96 Bumper

Vettn71

Reaction score
In the thread about hood pins I noticed a couple cars with 03-04 fog lights mounted center of their bumpers, just below the grill opening. How are those mounted and what did you use as a template?

TIA
Jim

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
[MENTION=15115]hotmustang95[/MENTION], your car looks awesome. Is it a chore to get in out of steep driveways with a splitter like that? Also from a aerodynamic perspective does this help at high speeds or only low speeds?

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hotmustang95, your car looks awesome. Is it a chore to get in out of steep driveways with a splitter like that? Also from a aerodynamic perspective does this help at high speeds or only low speeds?

I'll let him answer, but he races the car. So the splitter is functional. And high(er) speeds. Doesn't do anything at low speeds (nor is it meant to).

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Similar discussion here on spoilers vs wings. I don't claim to be an expert. I present the info as though I know what I am talking about, but of course could be completely wrong. But at least it gets people thinking.

I find this stuff very fascinating. I was thinking of investing on a diffuser for our cars as well.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I was actually reading up on this link - http://allfitautomotive.com/blog/car-splitter-what-is-it-and-how-does-it-work/

I am more of function > form guy! Looks are just a plus.

I read through that site you linked - they sort of treat a front lip and a splitter as similar things. This is not the case, as they perform very different functions. The front lip acts more as an air damn, rather than a splitter. A splitter and air dam, like a wing vs spoiler, perform different functions. One thing that wasn't really mentioning on that site is that the splitter generates downforce at the front of the car. This is why sometimes supporting rods are required - the downforce will deform the material if it is not solidly attached to the car. Splitters have the benefits mentioned in the article, with the major reason for using being downforce. If you don't want downforce but want to deal with the low pressure, front end lift, you can use an air dam (of which a front lip is just making your front air dam bigger).

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I read through that site you linked - they sort of treat a front lip and a splitter as similar things. This is not the case, as they perform very different functions. The front lip acts more as an air damn, rather than a splitter. A splitter and air dam, like a wing vs spoiler, perform different functions. One thing that wasn't really mentioning on that site is that the splitter generates downforce at the front of the car. This is why sometimes supporting rods are required - the downforce will deform the material if it is not solidly attached to the car. Splitters have the benefits mentioned in the article, with the major reason for using being downforce. If you don't want downforce but want to deal with the low pressure, front end lift, you can use an air dam (of which a front lip is just making your front air dam bigger).

For 1/2 racing, do you think a front splitter and diffuser can be beneficial? I know traveling at high rate of speed you want all the traction you can get.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
A diffuser if I am not mistaken is one of the few times you can increase down force with out increasing drag. I decided to make one more for looks myself but there is still some more work to go obviously. I am sure it would probably help the function if it were closer to the ground and stuck out further but again this was a case where the function followed the form.
8134881464312097-529db0b0e1.jpg

hotmustang95

Reaction score
hotmustang95, your car looks awesome. Is it a chore to get in out of steep driveways with a splitter like that? Also from a aerodynamic perspective does this help at high speeds or only low speeds?

It's high enough that it clears speed bumps. I haven't noticed any difference with it while racing at track events but I built it strong to withstand high speeds. These are designed for high speeds.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For 1/2 racing, do you think a front splitter and diffuser can be beneficial? I know traveling at high rate of speed you want all the traction you can get.

By 1/2 racing do you mean the standing half-mile racing? If so, I wouldn't think you'd want a splitter. More likely an air dam and diffuser. A properly designed air dam will reduce front end lift without generating drag (like a splitter would). For that type of racing, you don't need tons of downforce. Usually more effort is placed in making the car slippery so as to maximize top speed. You don't want tons of big wings and stuff. Look at bonneville salt flats cars - very rarely do they have big wings and splitters. The extra downforce from those things are to allow cars to go around corners fast - NOT to go in a straight line fast.

A diffuser if I am not mistaken is one of the few times you can increase down force with out increasing drag. I decided to make one more for looks myself but there is still some more work to go obviously. I am sure it would probably help the function if it were closer to the ground and stuck out further but again this was a case where the function followed the form.
8134881464312097-529db0b0e1.jpg

Yes, a diffuser will help with downforce - help by eliminating lift, which is kind of like generating downforce. And yes, you get this "downforce" without generating drag.

A diffuser alone on our cars isn't necessarily bad. It will do some good. Not tons, though. You can think of it like this: take a stock 302 5.0 with the crappy stock iron heads. Now add a good cam. Do you make more power? Yes. Not tons, but there is an improvement. However, you aren't fully maximizing the cam. This is like adding a diffuser. Now, on that 302, if you were to slap on a set of great flowing heads, all of a sudden that cam is like 10 times better. This is like properly adding on the rest of the aero. By itself, the diffuser is a small benefit. When used in conjunction with properly designed aero, it's benefit is increased ten-fold.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I really love this forum! Thanks for the lesson guys! I am looking into investing in one like this. This is Matt's sn95 on IG. One question does the mach 1 chin spoiler act as a mini air dam?

34yoemv.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think the damn would need to be stiffer as the mach is pretty soft/bendable. Something like the shinoda chin(as shown above with the splitter below it) might be better but I am learning on this post as I am in most aero posts, and did not sleep at a holiday in last night...

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I really love this forum! Thanks for the lesson guys! I am looking into investing in one like this. This is Matt's sn95 on IG. One question does the mach 1 chin spoiler act as a mini air dam?

34yoemv.jpg

The stock front bumper acts as mini air dam, especially further underneath it. If you look under a stock front bumper (at least on the 94/95's, I assume the 96+ as well), you'll see further back about a foot a piece of black plastic sticking down. This is a little mini air dam that helps to send air up through the radiator from underneath the bumper. This piece of plastic gets ripped off a lot of cars it seems from interactions with curbs and stuff.

In this pic, it's the black strip running across the middle of the underside of the bumper:

lrs-8349c_6953.jpg

The problem with running a chin lip is that you are making it harder for air to enter this area - which is potentially good for aero and potentially bad for radiator cooling. So if you want to run a chin lip (which will increase the size of the front air dam), you should look into helping the air get to rad via another route (or at a minimum at least keep your eye on the temps to make sure a problem wasn't created).

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
The stock front bumper acts as mini air dam, especially further underneath it. If you look under a stock front bumper (at least on the 94/95's, I assume the 96+ as well), you'll see further back about a foot a piece of black plastic sticking down. This is a little mini air dam that helps to send air up through the radiator from underneath the bumper. This piece of plastic gets ripped off a lot of cars it seems from interactions with curbs and stuff.

In this pic, it's the black strip running across the middle of the underside of the bumper:

lrs-8349c_6953.jpg

The problem with running a chin lip is that you are making it harder for air to enter this area - which is potentially good for aero and potentially bad for radiator cooling. So if you want to run a chin lip (which will increase the size of the front air dam), you should look into helping the air get to rad via another route (or at a minimum at least keep your eye on the temps to make sure a problem wasn't created).

I do have a mach 1 lip and I haven't noticed anything crazy with coolant temps. One solution is cutting out medium size holes 6-8 to let the car go through the mach 1 chin spoiler to stock air dam for radiator. I need to replace mine because its slightly deformed anyway from being low, instead of it being straight like this "-> | <-" it looks like "-> / <-".

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good to know. It's also possible that the coolant system isn't really being taxed - have you had the car on a road course?

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Good to know. It's also possible that the coolant system isn't really being taxed - have you had the car on a road course?

Mainly a street car, never really had it on a road course, 1/4, or 1/2. I am getting a itch to do these events so I guess its all trial and error. Can't really know something until you do it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online