03 GT rust repair has begun (with pictures)

Shouter

Reaction score
Well my 03 has a couple small paint bubbles above the left rear wheel. Upon inspection, it appears something hit the lip underneath, and caused a separation between the outer quarter panel skin, and the inner tub, allowing moisture in there and causing some rot. I currently have the crust cut out, minus the lip, still need to drill the lip spot welds off, but i've cleaned and found all clean metal. Keep in mind the picture with the most rust showing is before I cleaned it all up, so don't worry, im not patching over that crust. I made the patch panel last thursday at work, and it is ready to cut to size and weld in.

Also, the passenger side sail panel above the door had a crack, so it is also off the car and going to get repaired and repainted.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that sucks. Don't you think you need to go over a little further to get the rusty section behind it? Eastwood sells a rust encapsulating paint that has its tip on a long plastic tube that you can snake into small areas to cover problem areas that might help.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
My buddy has the same exact issue on his 02 GT. It started off tiny, now it's growing fairly quickly. I'll show him this thread. You might want to spray some rust preventative paint in there for extra safety I guess you could say.

OP
OP
S

Shouter

Reaction score
As stated originally, that was a picture that was taken early on. Since, I have cut it out larger, and removed all the rust. It will be as good as new once I am done. I need to look at what Eastwood has for sure.

Also, the area will be spot blasted and treated, not just rust ground off/cut away. Taking no chances.

OP
OP
S

Shouter

Reaction score
My buddy has the same exact issue on his 02 GT. It started off tiny, now it's growing fairly quickly. I'll show him this thread. You might want to spray some rust preventative paint in there for extra safety I guess you could say.

If your buddy wants me to, I can make a patch panel and send it to you, it would look just like mine, but I could make it longer if need be. Keep in mind it won't be free..

OP
OP
S

Shouter

Reaction score
Rust is blasted, and treated, patch is cut to fit (still need some trimming on the back end). Just about ready to weld, just waiting on weld through primer.

5219df399bb25c6b254589ebe583da18.jpg

b1e140c3aa2da84b3ea4c68dbf6305f4.jpg

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Vegasfilter

Reaction score
love the color. I had an 05 GT same color and got tons of compliments all the time.

Mr.Eman

Reaction score
I had rust in a similar spot on mine. A buddy of mine sideswiped it in the driveway and the rust was discovered at the bodyshop.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
http://www.eastwood.com/ew-rust-encapsulator-w-ext-nozzle-black.html

I used this on my build to get inside the rails and other areas I had no hope of getting into. My only advice is use on ground you don't mind getting paint on or be sure to put down a layer of news papers as its pretty thin and will run through any holes it finds. I can't yet speak to how well it works getting wet after as my project is not yet rolling but eastwood has been good for these products for a while and I don't know anyone else that has the tip that can get into small spots.

OP
OP
S

Shouter

Reaction score
Got the Weld-Thru primer finally, and it's all welded up. Turned out pretty good. Very little distortion.

OP
OP
S

Shouter

Reaction score
19dc3ebba701ba78e8925af878f3ee7b.jpg

212bea94d649775f22e32c6c87c07db6.jpg

Well it's finally done and I couldn't be happier. Just in time to go to Power Cruise this weekend.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

07GtS197

Reaction score
Looks good man! I had rust in the same spot of my old 00 gt but I never got it fixed. My hats off to you sir!

OP
OP
S

Shouter

Reaction score
thats in there deep! Best of luck to you, make sure to get all the rust cut out of there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online