'03 Lost Spark on Driver's Side

SuperG

Reaction score
An update to a previous thread I had on my Terminator...One day I started the Cobra and it ran terrible. I pulled the plugs and apparently the passenger side plugs are doing fine, but the driver's side were very black and wet.

So last night I replaced all the plugs with new NGK TR6's and ran the car for 10 minutes, hoping it would warm up and run fine...unfortunately, it never did and ran exactly as before. I then pulled the driver's side plugs and here is what they look like:

2183045_51_full.jpg

The plugs are layed out left to right = same position as when facing the driver's side bank. Notice how the second plug is fine? The first one also appears to be firing, but is a little wet. The last two look exactly like the old plugs.

Today, I'll check the passenger side and also check for any engine codes, eventhough the CEL is not lit.

Can I test the individual wires and coils by running the engine, pulling the coil and getting it near the engine block to see if the blue spark emits?

I was also thinking of taking one coil off and switching it to the other side to see if that helps establish whether the coil is good or not. Of course, the plug wires may also need to be replaced.

I'll also check the fuel injectors...Any other tips are greatly appreciated!

BTW, on the way over to O's to get the spark plugs, the alternator on my '97 crapped out! Therefore I have decided that when I buy stocks and mutual funds, I'll let everyone know so you have the opportunity to sell right away!

95-stang

Reaction score
I would go for coil failure, swapping them over is the best idea and see if the problem moves with it. ;)

OP
OP
S

SuperG

Reaction score
Thanks guys...that will one of the first things I do, then!

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Do the coil swap, don't try and ground out the plug wire on the block, you could short something out. You could also get an inline spark plug tester. You will be able to see if it is not firing that way.

OP
OP
S

SuperG

Reaction score
OK...finally read the codes - P0193 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input (FRP)

A descriptive:
The comprehensive component monitor (CCM) monitors the FRP sensor circuit to the PCM for high voltage. If voltage were to fall below a calibrated limit and a calibrated amount of time during testing, the test will fail. FRP signal shorted to VREF or VPWR.
FRP signal open (gasoline only)
Low fuel pressure (NG only)
Damaged FRP sensor.
Damaged PCM.
High fuel pressure (caused by damaged fuel pressure regulator) NG.
A FRP PID value during KOER or KOEO less than 0.3 volts for gasoline or 0.5 volts for natural gas vehicles (NG) would indicate a hard fault.

I replaced the FRPS ($80 from Ford) and cleared the code...it seems to run the same, however, so I wonder if I need to replce the brand new spark plugs that now look as bad as the previous ones?

Also, I am going to let it warm up a bit and take it on a drive...if the same problem exists, when should the code come back on?

I wonder if the cats are gas soaked now, too...anyway to tell?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online