05+ GT ENGINE OR 99-04 COBRA ENGINE?

sho89mtx

Reaction score
I know everyone on here has a very strong opion on which engine or keeping the stock engine, but my question is just which one out of these 2 would be the least expensive? I found a cobra engine on craiglist for $1500 obo, which made me think about it and also saw people doing the 3v engine swap and saw kits to do it. My question after doing research on the 3V engine swap is what is the difference btwn the american muscle kit:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-control-pack-0510gt.html
and the logan motorsports kit:
http://loganmotorsports.com/2V_to_3V_conversion.html
it seems like there it is less work for the 3V conversion because of these kits than the cobra engine, what do you guys thinks? Anyone on here do either one with a write up on it?

thanks in advance,
Scott

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
The differnce between the logan kit and the FRPP pac is extreme.

The FRPP (The thing on American Muscle) will use the 05 controls. This lets you keep the fly by wire, VCT, and some other small things.

The logan kit is VERY complete. You will not be able to keep the VCT (its crap anyways imo), the throttle is cable driven, and you will need to extend a few wires. So far EVERYTHING needed has come in my logan kit. I was trying to piece together a kit myself but ended up buying the kit and a very happy I did. It comes with instructions for everything. The only thing it didnt come with was a tune but I think you can buy that from him as well, I plan on going e85 and had cams so it wasn't an option.

With that being said ..... do a 4v swap unless you want to be unique(whatever that means) or have certain idea's in your head ....

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
The differnce between the logan kit and the FRPP pac is extreme.

The FRPP (The thing on American Muscle) will use the 05 controls. This lets you keep the fly by wire, VCT, and some other small things.

The logan kit is VERY complete. You will not be able to keep the VCT (its crap anyways imo), the throttle is cable driven, and you will need to extend a few wires. So far EVERYTHING needed has come in my logan kit. I was trying to piece together a kit myself but ended up buying the kit and a very happy I did. It comes with instructions for everything. The only thing it didnt come with was a tune but I think you can buy that from him as well, I plan on going e85 and had cams so it wasn't an option.

With that being said ..... do a 4v swap unless you want to be unique(whatever that means) or have certain idea's in your head ....
hmm, got several different thoughts about what u said. It sounds like even though u said it wasn't complete, the American Muscle kit is more intreguing to me. Why wouldn't I want the 05 controls upgraded from an 02? What is that kit lacking?

also you said your doing this, but your profile doesn't show which car your doing the swap on. Also for someone who is doing this, why would u recommend the cobra motor? Is it easier or something?

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
hmm, got several different thoughts about what u said. It sounds like even though u said it wasn't complete, the American Muscle kit is more intreguing to me. Why wouldn't I want the 05 controls upgraded from an 02? What is that kit lacking?

also you said your doing this, but your profile doesn't show which car your doing the swap on. Also for someone who is doing this, why would u recommend the cobra motor? Is it easier or something?

The controls for the 05+ just add more of a headache for me. making the dash work with the control PAC and finding a place for the entire system. I'm not saying its a bad products its just I did not choose it due to it limited availability and lack of support. Some people ran into tuning problems by not using the supplied CAI, vct is cool but once you start making decent power its safer to get rid of it all together, keepinh fly by wire throttle will open up throttle body options (gt500 is a popular choice).

I'm doing it on my silver 98 I have a half ass build thread somewhere Lol. I need to set the timing and get a converter before I drop the motor in. After that I will focus on my fuel system and tuning. I also want to paint my valve/timing covers but I'm lazy and have other projects (lightning, Harley truck and a 96gt)

A more change is going to cost money regardless there is much support for 4v motors its not even funny. 3v parts are just as costly but in the long run will likely produce less power. The motor was only around for a few years and even though it was in ALOT of vehicles aftermarket support is less than 4v.

I do not regret my choice one bit and would take the same path again cause I'm a SOHC guy Lol.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
4v over 3v any day!! 2v over 4v......always.

Your trusty 2v is actually potent.

Tell us what youre wanting from the car.

I have a 96Gt5.4l2v that will only see sunny days but wont hurt my feelings if it got rained on (before planned paint job). It was never a daily driver and honestly, it hasnt seen outside in 4yrs. Now tell us what you will be doing with yours.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I kind of think a 3V swap in an SN is a cool idea. They have sooooooo many PD Blower options out there and while I love my 2V, I think a 3V is perfect in one of these cars.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If I was new to the SN scene and didn't have a shit ton of $$$$$$$ 2V parts I would do a 3V swap in a heartbeat. Coyote is crazy expensive and a 3V will put you over 300hp instantly.

I bet for @$3k (used engine and Logan kit) it can be done. Add some boltons and you are in the mid 300's.

Now if we are talking about building engines for boost then they are all good to get you 600hp with enough boost and supporting hardware.

If staying NA then a 3V is probably much easier and cheaper to get over 350hp which IMO is perfect for these cars on the street.

torch318

Reaction score
Bolt on's that include long tube headers will net you 300+ rwhp..
last I checked long tubes don't fit unless someone is making them now. Bolt on's and cams will make 330-350.

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
3V > 4V sooooo much aftermarket support and nearly a million different blower options. But that being said VCT is usually deleted in higher powered cars, the IMRCs don't like boost, and cam phasers don't like stiff valve springs. Stock for stock a 3 valve makes 20-30 ft pounds over a 4 valve.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
I have the CMRC delete plates from steeda.....

are those numbers with VCT/cm plates in place?

The 4v's are exactly absent when it comes to blower options....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online