$10,000 fair price for a 1995 GT?

Reaction score
Seems about average, you cannot hardly get into any year Mustang GT for less than 10k. Maybe some beaters out there for 6k or 7k but I see 10k plus for clean GT's in my area.

Rons95GT

Not a new member
Reaction score
I have owned my ‘95 since ‘97, always garaged and babied, even though I have highly modified it. The original yellow paint looks amazing and people often think it’s been painted, with the exception of some nicks on the front from actually driving the car. It does have 90k miles on the body, with about 40k of that regrettably coming from one year when I had to commute too far and was without a third vehicle. It is rarely driven anymore and only has 4-5k miles on an entirely new and stronger drivetrain, suspension, exhaust, brakes, wheels, tires, fuel system. It makes 514 rwhp, and I would not sell it for less than $20k. I have much more than that in it. I know you don’t get all of your money back when you build a car like this, so say what you want, it is worth it. If you can find a stock one in the same/similar condition as mine, I would say it is worth the $10k. Then are you going to leave it stock? Or are you going to do what I, and most of the people that are on this site have done and modify it? If you plan to modify it, do you think you can buy and install a completely forged stroker motor with a boss or dart block, a tremec tranny, a built rearend with stronger axles and center section, a supercharger, fuel system, upgraded brakes, bigger exhaust, new wheels, tires, suspension, intake, injectors, throttle body, mass air, etc, etc, for another $10k ? I can tell you without a doubt, you can not.

maillemaker

Reaction score
Things are worth what someone will pay.

I personally am very leery of buying someone else's project car. This and other forums are chock full of posts where people can't get their car to run and then they list off the list of mods and wonder why they can't figure out why it doesn't run.

This is not to say that there aren't experts out there building awesome, top-notch stuff. But this is why people say you never get your money back out of a car when you do lots of mods. The reason is nobody can be sure if the person doing it knew what they were doing or not.

I can't find the exact meme I saw that summed it up but here is my attempt from memory:

1684252920003.png

Rons95GT

Not a new member
Reaction score
Yes, there are those that share your opinion. Does buying a mustang that Saleen or Shelby or Steeda, etc etc, has modified make it better? I am not a mechanic by trade, but do a lot of things myself. I installed the Steeda suspension, Cobra brakes, some of the fuel system, other odds and ends. I had a reputable engine builder do that. I had a shop that specializes in restoring and modifying mustangs specifically, install the engine, tranny, built rear, exhaust, supercharger, etc.. I was mindful of quality throughout the process and life of this car. It looks great, runs great, sounds great, is reliable. I forgot to mention it is a coupe and has black leather interior, which is still factory except for the added autometer gauges, shifter, Alpine stereo. If I couldn’t find a buyer who would instantly know that this car is worth more than $20k, I would just keep it and enjoy it until I die. My kids want it anyway.

Slice

Reaction score
Just bought one almost identical a few weeks ago for $9200 with 65,000 miles. Has a few scrapes here and there but clean car otherwise. I'd say you are probably in the ballpark but I'm new to Mustangs so wait for more responses
Putr new tires and wheels on it right away

View attachment 25653
View attachment 25654
Amazing how the new tires made the sun come out!

maillemaker

Reaction score
Yes, there are those that share your opinion. Does buying a mustang that Saleen or Shelby or Steeda, etc etc, has modified make it better? I am not a mechanic by trade, but do a lot of things myself. I installed the Steeda suspension, Cobra brakes, some of the fuel system, other odds and ends. I had a reputable engine builder do that. I had a shop that specializes in restoring and modifying mustangs specifically, install the engine, tranny, built rear, exhaust, supercharger, etc.. I was mindful of quality throughout the process and life of this car. It looks great, runs great, sounds great, is reliable. I forgot to mention it is a coupe and has black leather interior, which is still factory except for the added autometer gauges, shifter, Alpine stereo. If I couldn’t find a buyer who would instantly know that this car is worth more than $20k, I would just keep it and enjoy it until I die. My kids want it anyway.
I'd have no problem buying a professionally modified Mustang from a company that specializes in that business.

I follow Precision Transmissions on YouTube. They do tear-down videos of transmissions. Fun to watch even though I don't know anything about transmissions. It's fun watching an expert tear into one when it's clear they are an expert.

Anyway the number of transmissions he tears down and rebuilds that were supposedly "built by a reputable shop" are astounding.

That's the problem you are up against when trying to sell modded cars. I think that in the end you probably are better off keeping them.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
there are so many variables to consider on this that it is hard to say yes/no. Every shop I have seen will offer to buy someones car that needs repairs for some insanely cheap offer to put 2 hours of labor, $300 in parts and then sell it for 4x what they put into it. They don't really care what condition it is in, don't spend enough time in it to find all the problems and are just flipping it. It also just depends on the shop as some of the repairs i have seen done by "shops" were good from far, and far from good and it might not be a fly-by-night POS shop but a good one that was just under an unrealistic deadline and could not finish everything perfectly. On the other hand if you get a good mechanic that had a serious project that took the time to take care of all the little details it could be a good thing to get into. Location also makes a big difference.

Put it up for sale and if it is too high you will know by the lack of interest. It will help to keep the tire kickers/lowballers away as well.

Rons95GT

Not a new member
Reaction score
I'd have no problem buying a professionally modified Mustang from a company that specializes in that business.

I follow Precision Transmissions on YouTube. They do tear-down videos of transmissions. Fun to watch even though I don't know anything about transmissions. It's fun watching an expert tear into one when it's clear they are an expert.

Anyway the number of transmissions he tears down and rebuilds that were supposedly "built by a reputable shop" are astounding.

That's the problem you are up against when trying to sell modded cars. I think that in the end you probably are better off keeping them.
I’m curious, what mustang do you own and what has been done to it if anything?

maillemaker

Reaction score
I’m curious, what mustang do you own and what has been done to it if anything?
My first Mustang was a 1992 LX. Bought new. Never did anything to it. Traded it in 1995 for a new GT Coupe. Never did anything to it. Totaled in in 2002 hitting ice.

Just bought a 1995 GT convertible about a month ago. Nothing has been done to it except new rims. One of the things I was after when shopping was a Mustang that hadn't been "fiddled with". Very hard to find these days. Now, I'm owner #10, and this car is no cherry, but it's in pretty good shape, I think, for 28 years old. Carfax says it's been in a couple of wrecks, including "submersion" (!). But it's a southern car and no rust. It's had standard tune-up repairs over the years. I have some of the old paperwork (came with car) and in January of 2022 it got a new IAC valve, plugs, wires, and distributor cap. But all OEM-type repairs.

IMG_7693.JPG

IMG_7722.JPG

IMG_7716.JPG

Rons95GT

Not a new member
Reaction score
My first Mustang was a 1992 LX. Bought new. Never did anything to it. Traded it in 1995 for a new GT Coupe. Never did anything to it. Totaled in in 2002 hitting ice.

Just bought a 1995 GT convertible about a month ago. Nothing has been done to it except new rims. One of the things I was after when shopping was a Mustang that hadn't been "fiddled with". Very hard to find these days. Now, I'm owner #10, and this car is no cherry, but it's in pretty good shape, I think, for 28 years old. Carfax says it's been in a couple of wrecks, including "submersion" (!). But it's a southern car and no rust. It's had standard tune-up repairs over the years. I have some of the old paperwork (came with car) and in January of 2022 it got a new IAC valve, plugs, wires, and distributor cap. But all OEM-type repairs.

View attachment 25766

View attachment 25767

View attachment 25768

Congrats on keeping them stock, I always wanted more performance and couldn’t leave them stock. My first was a ‘90 GT bought new, had all of the bolt ons, gears, exhaust, small nitrous kit, wheels and tires. Still looked great, ran great, sounded great when I sold it to my cousin in ‘97, who trashed it. I bought my current ‘95 GT in ‘97, just before I sold my ‘90. I bought a ‘92 LX around ‘05 that I also modified and owned for several years until trading it for a Harley. Anyway, continuously owned Mustangs since 1990, and was a fan since I was a teenager in the early 80’s. Didn’t mean to hijack the post. To the original poster, buy the car.

Tturaider

Reaction score
I paid 10k last May for a 94 GT Vert. The guy I bought it from was local to the area and bought the car in 2008. He bought it to fix up for his growing son, who ended up not wanting it.

He basically spent 15 years replacing aging parts/systems, new jasper motor (had 3k miles or so over 3 years when i bought it), brand new legit paint from a reputable shop, new top & leather interior from a local reputable shop, along with some nice suspension work such as Eibach lowering kit, upper lower control arms, and cobra style front breaks.

Car holds a clean title, never been in an accident and still holds matching serial numbers across the body parts I have looked at. The odo reads ~140k miles but who knows what is actually on the body. The car starts and runs like it is new with all components functioning like they should.

Did I overpay? Perhaps, I could've waited to get a lower mile car 'untouched' for a few thousand more but I felt like I basically purchased a new car with everything already done that I would have wanted.

I did however want more out of it and had a local mustang guy i trust upgrade the Top End (Trick Flow HCI), headers, OH Hpipe, full magnaflow exhaust, install Shift Kit, 2800 Stall Converter, and 3.73 gears. Should make it a hell of a lot more fun to drive.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online