100,000 mile refresh. Suggestions?

Discussion in '94-95 5.0 - Specific' started by 1994stangfan, Apr 11, 2016.

1. 1994stangfan

1994stangfan Active Member

Hello everyone. I am in the middle of swapping a drivetrain from a 1994 Gt into my 1995 GT project. I am planning to refresh the engine and hopefully free up a little more horsepower at the same time. The engine has 100,000miles on it. What would you replace, and upgrade? My budget is around $800 so nothing too fancy at this point. I have some bolt ons stored up. 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, bbk cai, underdrive pulleys, shorty headers, catted stainless x pipe and flowmaster 40's. any advice is appreciated.

Also anything specific to look for upon tear down of a 100,000 mile 5.0?

2. ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89 Legend

A set of cobra 1.7 roller rockers would be a good upgrade if you are still running the stock cam. And an explorer/cobra intake if you can find a good deal on one.

3. Magic

Magic Well-Known Member

Do a leak down test (assuming the heads are still on it), it will let you know well the cylinders are sealing. if you have good numbers, (the lower the percentage the better), then move on to the next.
    Take the pan off and check a rod and main bearing, look for any bearing scouring or copper.

If that checks out, then leave the short block alone. Change the timing chain and oil pump with a hardened pump shaft.

IMO, keep saving till the budget increases. $800 go by quick on the little petty shit.

4. 1994stangfan

Is it common to have a lot of leak down? Also are 5.0's common for crank bearing issues? Or just a general caution?

5. Magic

Magic Well-Known Member

define a lot of leakdown?
    anything more than 30-40% leakdown (cold) would be concerning.

Safety precaution to check a rod and a main bearing. You never know with some engines sometimes. I was sold an engine once, supposedly in great shape, took apart one rod bearing and a main bearing all were worn down to the copper.

6. 1994stangfan

I appreciate the info. I will definitely take a close look at all bearings.

7. Mustanger

Mustanger Well-Known Member

Good to check while the engine is out, lot's easier! LOL, like the pan gasket is very hard to do in the car...most directions say to pull the engine. My car is at 170,000 almost & still in good shape. These engines run a long time if not abused.

8. ranger56528

ranger56528 Active Member

Put in a new rear main seal while you have the motor out,they tend to leak...Not a hp thing of course but a pre maintenance item that you will be glad you did.

9. 1994stangfan

Forgot to update this. I changed the oil pan gasket and the rear main seal while I was checking the crank bearings (which were beautiful)