$150 mustang

micahsali

Reaction score
Hey guys I Baugh a 94' coupe that has a 5.0/5speed swap I paid $150 and after some work to get the title I officially own the car. I have acutely owned it for about 2 years but juse pulled it into the garage to start working on it. Here is what I know so far.
Car came with a v6 from the factory but someone did a 5.0 swap at some point. The motor will fire but then dies after about a second. If I pull off the mass air sensor it will run but extremely rich. I did a compression test and and all tubes checked out with 100 plus pounds (not a spring chicken but should run) while doing the test when I pulled the plug from cyl #4 it was completely clean as if it has never fired. It was just wet with gasoline???
I layed all the plugs out in firing order and my son cranked the engine and confirmed it IS sparking. I wandered if it still had the v6 computer or somthing but it is T4m0 which to my understanding is from a "sn95 5.0 gt 5 speed convertible". I am not sure what the short block is out of cause I can't find block casting number on it yet. (Nothing on the flat spot on the back top of block). One more major point to make is this has turned into one of those good old father/son projects. My son will be 14 this year and is recently interested in cars and is excited to get it running he thinks he wants to build a road course car but the jury is still out. ( I'm just glad he's finally becoming a man and less into video games over it lol) any help on short block identification and general tuning at this point will be a help thanks

PinkieT

Reaction score
I know virtually nothing about the 5.0s, especially swapped, so can't help on your issues, but damn you got a smokin' deal! That, and having a son interested in cars who is willing to get his knuckles bloody is a great thing. Good luck on the build and keep us updated!

William

Reaction score
I have a v6 swapped to factory efi v8 in my mustang boy it has given me fits but I believe if you look good n the drivers back side of the block you should find the casting.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Sounds like the maf isn’t working correctly, clean it with maf cleaner and try it again.

Now to identify what the motor came out of is a bit of a loaded question. Can you upload pics of the motor? I’m not sure if the blocks have casting numbers but the heads do. Unfortuneatly the e7 heads casting number is on the bottom of the head so you would have to remove the head to see it. I would verify that it does have an ho firing order and call it a day, at least it has an ho motor in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

micahsali

Reaction score
Thats the plan. I was going to remove all the spark plugs, start at the compression stroke of cyl #1, turn the motor over with a ratchet and figure out what firing order I have based on the compression strokes. That was the best way I could come up with (without tearing down the engine) to see what cam is in the motor. I realized even if I found a casting number on the block ultimately it would only tell me about the block not the firing order (HO vs maybe truck ect.) At this point I need to confirm all the engine internals will work with the eec/ignition setup on the car currently.

Attachments

• 1578873509960-69496266.jpg
    1578873509960-69496266.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 19

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well unless they sourced the accessories and intake and stuff from an sn-95 and bolted them on an older motor, then I’d say it’s a 94-95 5.0. The dizzy and everything else is correct.

So unless they truly Frankenstein’ed it I’d say they at least did it the right way in getting the right setup.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Yeah it looks like a mustang motor like you said but, though its hard to tell, it looks like it has the lopo firing order based on the plug wire routing. Verify firing order and make sure the spark plug wires match that.

OP
OP
M

micahsali

Reaction score
OK I confirmed tonight my firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 which according to my manual is the 5.0l mustang motor firing order. Any thoughts on the next step is always welcome. I'm thinking checking/replacing injectors (still need to figure out why cyl#4 is not firing?????

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Do you know if the swap included the correct ecm/ecu. Hopefully they had the wiring harness for the engine to the ecm. May need to pull passenger kick panel and verify correct part. If it still has the 6 cylinder ecm the engine will never run

OP
OP
M

micahsali

Reaction score
Hey guys it's been a while. Decided to list our house for sale so life got in the way of the can again.

I did discover the reason I had the dead cylinder is the injector was wide open constantly. This would explain dead cylender, rich air fuel, smoke, and crapy all around running. Also I found some damaged wires right out of the mass air sensor that may have been making contact.
Now I have a new injector set and fuel filter and I want to cycle all the fuel out of the lines to start fresh.
Problem now is NO power to the ignition switch so I can't cycle fuel. I have all the upper end engine components unplugged so the question is
Is there a fail safe built into this car that when an engine component such as mass air, tps sensor, etc is unplugged it would kill power to the ignition? ??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online