17" Rims to 18" Rims - Question on wheel well/height

TheOdessa

Reaction score
This is a cross post from my build thread but wanted to post here so if anyone else has the same question it can easily be googled.

More of my car and I have a question. I was taking side shots of it (it's dirty. It's due for it's wash/claybar/wax) to send my brother pics of how the new calipers look. I've been eyeing SVE NVX 18" rims for a while because the 17's that are on it now just don't fill out the wheel well like I want them to. I don't know why I can't answer this question myself, but will going from 17's to 18's fill the gap more? I don't like the top tire/bottom fender gap. I can't go lower because of my long tubes. Will going with a bigger rim raise the car at all? Let me know.

prI5Ru.jpg

w0SKiW.jpg

4KOZwW.jpg

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Whatever wheel you decide, the tire diameter stays roughly the same. Somewhere around 25"-27" unless you go large like 22" or more.

I think you are wanting a better stance. Perhaps lower springs, maybe some new lowering shocks?

OP
OP
TheOdessa

TheOdessa

Reaction score
Whatever wheel you decide, the tire diameter stays roughly the same. Somewhere around 25"-27" unless you go large like 22" or more.

I think you are wanting a better stance. Perhaps lower springs, maybe some new lowering shocks?

I honestly can't go lower. I dont have enough clearance and as it sits right now if I don't go sideways and super slow over speed bumps my long tubes hit.

It's not so much the stance, or maybe it is, but I want the wheel well to be more filled out. The 17's just seem...small. At the time when I got them I was concerned about tire replacement cost (young, budget minded me). Well with the same tires here I am wanting to go different. The car sits in the garage most of the time. I just want it to look good when I do take it out but I don't want the car to look like it's sitting higher. In my mind it will sit higher with a bigger rim but will fill out the wheel well better on the same springs.

Current set up yielded me a 1.5" drop on all four corners. I'd remove the isos to get more but literally I can't. I was hoping a bigger rim would achieve the look I want given my circumstance.

I'm not sure shocks affect height at all? They are just there to help damper the car. The springs on all four corners is actually what effects height/drop. For me the height is perfect. The ride is great. Just want that look.

joe65

Reaction score
20191109_151054.jpg gta with 00 r.jpg I've gone through this more times in my mind than you can imagine. I feel like the sn95s really want an 18" wheel. i think it helps a lot. if you do a combination of 18" wheel and a bit taller tire you make up some gap and even just the taller wheel looks like its filling the gap a bit. here's two web pages i'm looking at all the time for wheel and tire fitments.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/?width=...ct2=40&wheel_size=18&wheel_width=8&offset2=50

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

came back to edit this. here's my car with 17" cobras (99-01) and a car like mine with 18 cobra r's. Just looks better with the 18s. in my opinion. yes mine was still in the 4x4 stance there, but that's being changed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheOdessa

TheOdessa

Reaction score
View attachment 4021 View attachment 4022 I've gone through this more times in my mind than you can imagine. I feel like the sn95s really want an 18" wheel. i think it helps a lot. if you do a combination of 18" wheel and a bit taller tire you make up some gap and even just the taller wheel looks like its filling the gap a bit. here's two web pages i'm looking at all the time for wheel and tire fitments.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/?width=...ct2=40&wheel_size=18&wheel_width=8&offset2=50

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

came back to edit this. here's my car with 17" cobras (99-01) and a car like mine with 18 cobra r's. Just looks better with the 18s. in my opinion. yes mine was still in the 4x4 stance there, but that's being changed.

Just seeing this sold me. I agree 100% on the 17's being too small. Heck the stock bullit wheels that come on these GT's were 17". I should have known. Live and learn. The 18" def fills the wheel well in better.

I've been dying to get the NVX rims after I saw them. I love the Rovos rim but didn't want to pay the tag on them. After I saw LMR did a clone I was stoked.

I was going to go with these. Saw a video LMR did with them on a black new edge and loved it. Wasn't sure about graphite on a black lowered car but this sold it.

https://lmr.com/item/WTK-880653DS/mustang-sve-nvx-wheel-tire-kit-graphite-z2-94-04

QDNmL9.png

5bBj72.png

Don't get me wrong. The black looks good too but I'm just so sick of having black rims and keeping them clean. These also look like they are just too much black going on but that's just me.

aohHEE.png

Addicted

Reaction score
I feel ya man, I had black wheels when it wasnt cool, then everything went black. I'm over it myself, I kinda want some fly chromies.

OP
OP
TheOdessa

TheOdessa

Reaction score
I feel ya man, I had black wheels when it wasnt cool, then everything went black. I'm over it myself, I kinda want some fly chromies.

Agreed. That’s what I did.

Fly chromies lol brings me back to the early 2000’s. What style? I don’t know why but the NVX just looks so modern to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joe65

Reaction score
cool yeah that lmr black car looks good.

Addicted

Reaction score
Lol I was using it as a phrase to get some old cobra r's. One of my MX videos had Seth Enslow saying it and I thought it was funny as hell. I think it was on one of the Crustys demons of dirt videos back in '0120200501_142624.jpg I would like to have my 17"s chromed.

joe65

Reaction score
Lol I was using it as a phrase to get some old cobra r's. One of my MX videos had Seth Enslow saying it and I thought it was funny as hell. I think it was on one of the Crustys demons of dirt videos back in '01View attachment 4025 I would like to have my 17"s chromed.

One of my favorite wheels. Just wish they had made those 9" wide. I had found this last winter a guy with a brand new set and i made a deal with him and he supposedly sent 2 wheels and they got "lost". That's what he told me anyways, then the next thing i know his wife is answering my messages saying he's in the hospital then a few weeks go by and he died of lung cancer. I had sent $200 and never saw a tracking number or anything. Now his wife is giving me grief that she's trying to support her kids etc, after she told me she'd take care of it somehow. Anyways, i let it be, not sure really if its real or i got scammed. But i was bummed out because i was planning on those wheels and had to buy a different set. Kind of a tangent, i know but those GT wheels made me re live it. lol

Addicted

Reaction score
Yeah that isn't cool at all, I got lucky to get mine from an older gentleman that had them on a v6 car. 9" wheel would be sweet, like they dont the torque thrust wheels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online