181 code??

95pootang

Reaction score
ive had probs with the tune on the car getting this right fuel bank and left fule bank code crap. the mechanics been real good about taking car of the prob , but the dam things been in the shop , then out on the street since the fucking tune. it had bad o2 sensors in it when tuning it . took the car into the shop to have the stock cats put on tell they gudded the cats out of the x pipe, he put the thing back on the dyno tuned it and it was fine, took it to the tranny shop , had the shift kit put in then the dam thing threw a check engine lite. took it back to the shop he put two new o2s in and it was running real rich . he said run it for a bit it should be , tell we can put it back on the dyno ,ok got it back to my place of business it was running like shit. had it towed back to the shop where it sits now. what im wondering is why the hell is this thing keep giving me check engine lite all the time. now mind you im not charged for all the times its been back at the shop ,but dam. this is getting old!!! its got the 42 lbs injectors kenny bell blower , 90 mm maf, kb boosta pump , 255 in the tank, forged bottom end and mild ported stock heads. please give me some advise on this thing. im getting ready to take my gun to her soon , lol. thanks gil

Z28 This

Reaction score
my engine light comes on all the time b.c i dont have cats....get rid of the o2 i did here 95 and down doesnt have to have all that shit

OP
OP

95pootang

Reaction score
ya i here ya , but my probs on the left bank and right getting to much fuel or not enough , lol he keeps tuning it on the computer. and its fine for a week then it comes back. :comando:

GaryG

Reaction score
95pootang, i know its off topic, but r u also on badmustangsclub.com?

OP
OP

95pootang

Reaction score
yes gary im on there also, people i really need ur help on this one, thanks

94twinscrew

Reaction score
Who tuned the car? You're getting those codes becuase your EEC is trying to comphensate for excessively rich part throttle conditions....and vice versa. I also had the same problem when I ran the kb maf and chip......threw it in the garbage,and went with a Pro m. There are so many different factors that can come into play on those codes....like ACT,ECT,and MAF transfer. Give me some info,and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

ryclef331

Reaction score
So wait....you're running a KB Boost a Pump, BIGGER injectors with a MAF not originally built FOR our cars, as well as trying to tune ALL of that with a (I assume) Chip...

I think your issue lies completely in your tune. What is the boost a pump setting at on the dyno? What are you running for a Fuel Pressure Regulator? a 255 pump (with OUT the BAP) is more than enough for the mild 302 with a KB. You didn't mention the chip though either....if there even is one? If you're trying to tune that car with JUST the BAP and fuel pressure on the stock tune, THAT is probably your problem. You car's ECU has whats called, "adaptive learning curve." Meaning it ADAPTS TO and LEARNS how you drive how the car behaves overtime. SO if you're setting the car up with your tune, then you go out and drive it, it gets progressively worse and worse until it just flat out runs like shit. WHen you get a tune with a chip, any competent tuner knows to turn off that feature in the ECU or else it completely throw your tune WAY out of whack! Get back to me on that stuff and I'll see if I can't help out somemore.

OP
OP

95pootang

Reaction score
thanks for the info guys, heys tuning the car with some chip ford uses i dont know the name of it, the system came with a chip from kenny bell but it was a generic tune, so he got rid of it. the kb pump is running at about 40 on the setting. also it has the 255 in the tank. no fuel presure regulator. i bought one for it but the dam thing didnt fit where the stock one went the blower went right over the top of it, they said the stock one would be ok ?? excuse me for asking , but whats a [bap]. is it boost a pump?i think one of the probs we have came across has been the changiing of the cats to having no cats on this last go around. tell me what ya think , thanks gil

ryclef331

Reaction score
You need to be certain of what he is tuning with man. "Some chip ford uses." Ford doesn't use chips! I'd like to know what he is using to tune as far as software for the car. I'm not knocking your mechanic or anything man but with as much stuff as you have on the car, knowing EXACTLY what is on the car is key to troubleshooting this stuff.

and YES, BAP = Boost a pump.

Still, I think your tune is where the problem is. Ditching the cats shouldn't have made the car suddenly run the like total shit.

OP
OP

95pootang

Reaction score
well , im sure your rite. its in the tune. hes putting back on the syno today. so ill keep ya posted in to what he comes up with , ill also get that name of the chip hes using. thanks again.

OP
OP

95pootang

Reaction score
well i think i found out what was going on with this 181 code thing. since the blowers been put on , ive noticed this lite green small vacum like hose that looks like it broke off, it comes under the throttle body and up to the egr valve. then theres two black vacum hoses the one hooks up to the egr and another that hooks into a vacum line that tees off , where it tees off the red small vacum line hooks up , but they had blocked off the other line, so i took the cap off from where they had it caped. ran a line from the green broken off line and hook it up. from there there was also a vacum line that hooks into the fuel rail that was real loose, on the right fuel bank side . put it all back together, took it out for a spin , no check engine lite. runs like a champ for now , lol. its funny when i had it at the mechanics place it didnt set off the check engine lite tell i got it out on the road . i could tell that my right side exhaust just didnt sound good, shortly after that the lite came on, its funny here ive paid big bucks for this dam thing to run like a champ and it took me, one who doesnt know that much about this crap to figure it out!!well ill take it for another spin and see what it does later today. thanks gil

ryclef331

Reaction score
Hey, I ain't always right but with these cars it can be the craziest little shit on them. glad you found it.

OP
OP

95pootang

Reaction score
well come to find out my neighbor who put in the blower , i had hm come over and tell me what that lite green vacum hose was, little did i know that hose was broken at both ends so he hooked up another black one to it. i couldnt see where it connected into the harness being that it was hid. so long story short my find wasnt really anything. i took the car out for another spin, and it started doing the same thing. the engine lite didnt come on , but i could feel it was running back to the same old way. well ill keep ya posted on whats going on , back to square 1 again. :comando:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online