1967 Mustang Coupe

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Some of you may remember my 67, some of you may not, but after selling my 88 Coupe last week, I've bought a cheap daily and have started buying parts in hopes to get the 67 back on the road. I have an old build thread buried on here somewhere but I decided to start fresh as the plans for this car have come down and become a bit more realistic. Eventually I would still like to do a lot more but for now, I want this car cruising down the street again. So lets begin where I left off on this last thread:

306e7f8690f511e2ab5722000a9e0907_7.jpg

That picture was posted last March, as I finished buttoning up the bellhousing and was getting ready to drop it back in the car. Since then, the car sat around for a little bit before I took it to the Little Shop of Horrors (pretty well known shop for building some badass trucks) and had them modify my aftermarket T5 swap mount to work with the T5 I pulled from my 95. Hauled the car back from there and it's literally sat in the exact same spot until this afternoon when I finally pulled it back into the shop to start getting it back on the road.

The car has a mild 302 from a 70 Torino, small cam, Edelbrock intake and carb, 1.7RR, mild port and polish heads. I bought it a couple years ago from a guy who was planning to put it in a Foxbody and to this day, it hasn't been run since being rebuilt. The car also has a T5 swap, full Grab-a-track suspension, shitty paint, staggered KMC Nova wheels, and I threw my Corbeau Forza seat in there too so I could actually sling this car around eventually without falling in the floor.

Alright, now that we are all caught up, the plan for the car is pretty simple. I want something fun, reliable, and just simple. This car won't have A/C, power steering, power windows, it won't win any car shows. But it will be fun to take out to the local meets, drift around on the weekends, and just something fun to play around with when the weather is nice.

So far, I've bought a set of Flowmaster Scavenger headers, American Autowire wiring harness, and new dash trim to get rid of the horrible orange painted pieces. I've still got to buy a set of gauges, a smaller aftermarket steering wheel (fixed back seat is a bit difficult to get into and out of with the massive stock wheel), a new shifter for the T5 (thinking MGW), and a few other smaller things to tidy everything up and get it on the road. There's a lot of things I could bypass to get it on the road sooner but after all this time it's spent down, I don't want to hurry now and cut corners when I know where I want this car to be.

But here's the thread. Progress will be slow and steady and I hope to start tearing it back apart soon. First step in all this is to pull the motor, swap the oil pan, relube it and paint it. :thumbsup:

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Good luck, Sam, seems like things are going your way now and soon you'll be cruising that bad boy!!

krazyrabbit

Reaction score
Have fun! I talked myself out of getting a 60's Mustang, I wanted one so bad but knew that the ones I could afford would be too much of a challenge for me.

bonestock3.8DTH

Reaction score
Suhweet! I'm excited to see this build back in motion, I remember seeing pictures of it and you talking about putting the T5 in it so I'm glad you got the ball back rolling!

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
u8yta5am.jpg

Headers showed up today. Really nice pieces. Just waiting on it to warm up a little to really start tearing it back apart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
nice man! What a great winter project, eh? Soon spring will be in the air and you'll be feelin' the breeze in your hair!

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Glad to see this back on the front burner.
Hopefully I'll make some progress on my 66 this year.

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Got a little bit of a work done today on the ole car. Pulled the interior apart and cleaned it up and started working on the trans tunnel. The previous owner did a half hack job when they installed the 4-speed and with the T5 in there, it was going to need some work to allow access to the shifter bolts so today I cut the hole out bigger and put a small little patch panel over the hacked up area. It's not perfect but I'm a lot happier with it and pretty proud that I did it myself. I'm thinking about trying to find a SN95 in the junkyard and cut out the shifter area out of it so I can bolt a newer style of shifter gasket down and seal out the outside. I'll have some pics up soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
how did the interior look after all these years?

I've had the interior in and out of the car a couple times so there weren't any surprises lurking underneath. The floorpans have been patched together here and there, not the prettiest but it's solid and it all looks the same under carpet. hopefully I'll have some time soon to scuff them up and spray something on them as the fronts are developing some surface rust but overall it's pretty solid. Seats were reupholstered, new headliner, new carpet, new dashpad, etc when I bought it. The actual plastics on the dash were old and painted orange but I'm replacing all that. Could use some new door sill panels but they can wait until later as it's only a couple screws holding them down.

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There was one small surprise lurking under the carpet after all. The rear floorboard behind the driver's seat was a bit spongy feeling and after some scraping around on it, I realized that a good third of it was covered with a piece of fiberglass. Popped that off to find some rust, but nothing too major. Ended up cutting out some of it in sections and welding patch panels over it. Not the prettiest but it works and it feel a lot more solid now. It'll never be seen under the carpet anyways. I also knocked as much of the loose sections of old seam sealer out and laid down my first layer of 3M undercoating on the floor after shooting the surface rusted areas with rust treatment and a coat of primer. Need a few more cans to really get it on nice and thick and afterwards, I'm going to go around the seams and seal it up.

I'm probably going to end up pulling the dash to strip it of everything and clean it up and shoot a fresh coat of paint on it along with the doors and other bits.

Been having some issues with my bank account (someone's gotten ahold of my debit card info and decided they needed some dental work done) so parts buying has slowed down. Next on the list to buy is gauges. I'd like to have them ready to wire in when I start rewiring the whole car so I can do it all section by section without having to turn around and go back. I also need to buy my steering wheel, new door sills, and thinking about a set of front kick panels with built in speakers along with a few other smaller trim pieces.

I've got a couple days off this week so I should have enough time to take some good pictures of the progress and finally show some of it off.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sweeeeet!!!

what's better than (1) project car??? (2) project cars! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Seams are sealed, floor is completely coated in the undercoating spray, and the drivetrain has been yanked out. Pulled the oil pan off and was honestly surprised how well everything was still lubed up after sitting for so long. Poured a little bit of oil over everything and turned it over a few times by hand just to make sure everything was still moving and started pulling stuff off of the front of the motor. I want to give everything one more look before this thing is fired up. Ordering a bolt kit in the morning to help bling it up, and getting ready to paint the motor as well with some paint I mixed at work, may even toss an electric water pump on it and get some brackets made up to hang the alternator off of as well. Since I found a local powdercoater, I may even be taking some things to them but haven't really decided on a lot of those things. We'll see how it looks after paint and go from there.

And here's my one picture from tonight- couldn't resist hanging that gorgeous header off of it to see how it was going to look. I'm thinking I need a shiny intake too to go with these and the valve covers.

15114_10201513644182969_1377005070_n.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online