1994 CD Player

bmcgc

Reaction score
1994 Mustang GT convertible AM/FM/Cass separate CD player, non Mach 460

Does anyone refurbish these things?

Mine seems to be dead.

The backlights are on when the headlights are on, but other than that, there is no indication that it is even getting power.

Is there anything I can check?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
is it in the car? If so start simple an check your fuses. No don't know which ones and don't bother with the manual literally just go pull/inspect each fuse and it will take less time and you can be sure they are all good.

Mustanger

Reaction score
Mine died & it turned out to be the factory amp....I pulled that & just installed a replacement single din aftermarket. Music is not my strong interest especially over Magnapacks... but a backup camera is REALLY interesting to me now!

decks/head units are din sized so its a little easier to mount them in dashes but amps are not given a universal size. what amp did you swap it out for?

OP
OP
B

bmcgc

Reaction score
I don't think its the amp since the radio works.

cobrazilla

Reaction score
Mine would come on but the motor was weak that eject and spanned the disc I assume. Just picked up one from ebay and popped it in and it works like a charm now.

OP
OP
B

bmcgc

Reaction score
Im not sure what the problem is.

Like I say, it seems to be dead. The door chime works sometimes, there is no chime if the seatbelt isn't fastened, there is a chime if the headlights are left on.

Is the problem the CD player or is it a wiring problem?

The misses likes the oem look so an aftermarket isn't going to happen. Im unwilling to hack the dash to put in a later double din unit, so I need to figure out if I can fix this one.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Im not sure what the problem is.

Like I say, it seems to be dead. The door chime works sometimes, there is no chime if the seatbelt isn't fastened, there is a chime if the headlights are left on.

Is the problem the CD player or is it a wiring problem?

The misses likes the oem look so an aftermarket isn't going to happen. Im unwilling to hack the dash to put in a later double din unit, so I need to figure out if I can fix this one.

So the door chime is supposed to be on with the lights on door open but if your having problems with the door chime I would look at the door pin switch first and its wiring. Open the door and look on the door around the hinge and you will see a pin-switch that is what recognizes when the door is open. See if maybe it is loose or anything specifically wrong with it.

The lights on the deck really should not be all that hard to possibly replace yourself. The face of the deck is held on by a couple of screws and once removed the entire deck buttons and all will separate from the deck. I took mine apart years ago to make a false face to cover my alpine so if I was in a bad neighborhood I would just slap that in place and took a quick look behind it but can't remember specifics. The bulbs should be right there though and for the price of removing a few screws it might be worth your time.

OP
OP
B

bmcgc

Reaction score
Your not following me. When the headlights are on, the lights on the CD player work and brighten/dim along with the other dash lights.

Other than that, there is no indication that the CD player works or even has power to it. It doesn't make any sound, the display window is blank. I pulled it out a couple inches to see if it was plugged up and it is.

So can I assume it is dead?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am pretty sure it will not but not positive. I think the audio loops through it and there is a small plug you need to put on the back of the deck if the cd player is not there.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
not positive but I am pretty sure that you will disconnect the harness that goes from the cd to the deck. at the back of the deck harness then there is a plug that goes where then cd harness was to allow the sound to work.

I am not afraid to say I could be 100% wrong an just disconnect it and it will play. Easy enough to test....

lutter94

Reaction score
I think this is an 03 Focus radio, I wonder if it could be adapted to SN95?

http://www.mnrelectronics.com/ford-...38-aa/?page_context=category&faceted_search=0

Only one way to find out, buy it, take pics, install it, post a write up about it. Ask any questions along the way....

That being said....seems as though this adapter works for 1989-2000

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120705510/Metra-70-5510-Receiver-Wiring-Harness.html

Again, that being said lol....seems as though this is what the focus looks like on the back side but somehow works for 1989-2006. Might be similar, idk

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120701770/Metra-70-1770-Receiver-Wire-Harness.html?tp=2977

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
oh then it could very well be plug and play. If there is no wiring to change it could take all of 10 secs to install that stereo

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
there is a way to make it work one way or another. Worst case scenario you either need to hardwire in the harness that this deck needs or you can make a harness to plug into your factory wiring and then into this deck. Worst case scenario really would be if you made the harness as it would be made from two other harnesses and cost not much more then $30 total and as simple as connecting yellow/yellow, black to black, ect.

OP
OP
B

bmcgc

Reaction score
I Goggled the p/n and came up with this image. I think its doable. Im not sure how to deal with the factory amp, but it should be no different if you were installing an aftermarket HU.

Focus%20CD%20Player_zps6yfqunyn.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
definitely not plug and play. The harnesses that are needed for this one and for a non-mach system you will need a 70-1770 harness to plug into the stock wiring. The 70-xxxx harnesses are made to plug into the stock harness in your dash, the 71-xxxx harnesses are the same as what is already in your car and is what would plug into this harness. Not sure which one it is but if you got the deck and took it to your local car audio store they could probably match up a hrns for it. It looks like a fairly common import harness I just can't remember which one.

OP
OP
B

bmcgc

Reaction score
Did some investigating today on my dead CD player.

When I unplug the CD player the AM/FM/CASS works but there is no sound.

I opened the CD player case and removed the stuck CD. There is no wear on the CD buttons, it must have died when almost new. I removed the 4 faceplate screws thinking the faceplate would pop off, but it didn't and I didn't want to pry to hard.

Im thinking I can buy an operating CD player and swap my new looking faceplate.

What would I have to do to remove the CD player, there must be a jumper harness available?

If I went aftermarket, is there a plug-n-play solution to bypassing the amp? I seem to remember that the oem speaker ohms are not compatible with anything other than oem.

My son in law bought a nice looking generic nav unit off ebay for his BMW that would look right at home in the Mustang.

Im just mulling over options.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online