1994 Cobra IRS Diagram

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I could find a diagram,
Rear wheelhousing gap between tire and quarter panel are an inch different. And be irs independent rear suspension which is what the cobra came with.
Wondering if it could be bad struts in the irs?

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I’m a little confused by this post. Did you put an irs in the car?

I’m guessing you meant it is LOWER on the passenger side?

Also, the irs doesn’t have struts, it just has shocks and unless it has coil overs then it does little to nothing for ride height. That is all determined by the spring.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I could find a diagram, my driver's side rear doors about an inch loser than the pass. Wondering if it could be bad struts in the irs?

The doors are not a good place to measure. If the bushings in the hinges are worn out(as most are by now) they may not hang perfect. Measure to the top of the wheel well above the wheel is how I measure/compare my suspension heights to get my air ride set level.

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
The doors are not a good place to measure. If the bushings in the hinges are worn out(as most are by now) they may not hang perfect. Measure to the top of the wheel well above the wheel is how I measure/compare my suspension heights to get my air ride set level.
My apologies guys I should have read before I posted, going to correct it. Rear wheelhousing gap between tire and quarter panel are an inch different. And be irs independent rear suspension which is what the cobra came with.

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
I’m a little confused by this post. Did you put an irs in the car?

I’m guessing you meant it is LOWER on the passenger side?

Also, the irs doesn’t have struts, it just has shocks and unless it has coil overs then it does little to nothing for ride height. That is all determined by the spring.
Maybe the spring could be rotated in the perch? I heard that can happen.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
My apologies guys I should have read before I posted, going to correct it. Rear wheelhousing gap between tire and quarter panel are an inch different. And be irs independent rear suspension which is what the cobra came with.

The 1994 cobra did not come with irs. That happened in 1999, along with the body style change. Either way we cut it, the difference in height is because of springs. If you have adjustable coil overs, they need to be adjusted. If they are stock style springs, did one broken? Did someone remove the rear end and put the springs back in the wrong way?

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
The 1994 cobra did not come with irs. That happened in 1999, along with the body style change. Either way we cut it, the difference in height is because of springs. If you have adjustable coil overs, they need to be adjusted. If they are stock style springs, did one broken? Did someone remove the rear end and put the springs back in the wrong way?
Thank you for the education, yes I thought it off cause it doesn't act like the suspension is bad because it doesn't bounce when you push down over the wheel

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Guess im confused, you really need a picture showing the gap between the top of the tire to the fender opening?

Well, not to be rude and I’m just trying to help, but you may not know what to look for. If you post pictures of the springs and the height difference, maybe we can spot an issue.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Guess im confused, you really need a picture showing the gap between the top of the tire to the fender opening?

Well if you want help then you need to post more than just a misworded description.

As Tom cruise once said..........
6e46a512955ddc8d824c3b6e4936ebbe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CobraEd

Reaction score
Pictures of the coil springs & how the pigtails are oriented in the lower control arms would tell if they are installed correctly.

Additionally, if your IRS still has the stock rubber bushings, the bolts on the upper & lower control arm pivot points should be NOT be tightened until the suspension has full weight on it with suspension settled. If the suspension is tightened with the car on Jack stands, the rubber bushings will prevent the suspension from fully settling, because the rubber bushing dont rotate, the rubber twists.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

lutter94

Reaction score
If you are using tapatalk, it'll be just as easy as replying to this thread to post some pics. No one's ever been told they provided too much information when asking for help on a problem

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
If you are using tapatalk, it'll be just as easy as replying to this thread to post some pics. No one's ever been told they provided too much information when asking for help on a problem
I thought you guys just wanted a picture of the gap my apologies. And yes it would be simple if it wasn't always raining :) I'm in the Seattle area

Werecow

Reaction score
Please do make sure you wash your hands before you post a pic from Washington state. We don't wanna take a chance on the coronavirus spreading here.. Just Kidding!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online