1994 Convertible Water Leak

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Hi all,

Some of you may know that I have mentioned in other areas about the water leak I have. Basically, when there's heavy rain I have water coming in somewhere and gathering in the rear carpets - passenger and drivers side, but drivers side is worse.

I have a carpet shampooer and frequently suck around 2-3 litres of water out of it.

I am going to take it somewhere now as I have no idea where to go next, however I was talking to a former mechanic about it yesterday (don't even know how we got on to it) and he suggested, as a short-term measure to help, drilling 3x small 6mm holes on the drivers rear and passengers rear from underneath up into the floor area to provide extra drainage.

This sounds like a good bad idea to me.

What's the thoughts out there? Obviously the medium term plan is to get the source of the leak found and sorted, however in the meantime is putting some small holes up there in the right areas a sensible move to get water to drain through?

If so, obviously some rust treatment under there to protect the metal, but where should the 3x holes actually go? What's the best areas, if this is indeed a possible sensible idea...?

Thanks in advance - don't shout at me please!

Regards

TMW

outdare

Reaction score
It is usually the back window seal. Our 98 convertible has a leak. Pull the fabric back and check. I used some flex seal as a temp solution.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Good shout, but I should have mentioned I had a new 1-piece hood fitted in February.

Did it before and since :-(

Regards

TMW

outdare

Reaction score
I would get in and have someone wet the top with a hose. Could be the top is not aligned correctly to the weather stripping for the windows. Set down some paper towels and see where the water is coming from.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
drilling holes sounds like a horrible way to let it rust a little faster. As he said I would go inside and have someone keep the hose on small/specific areas till you see or feel it inside. I would remove the interior trim around the back seat to help make it easier to see it. With that much water going in you should be able to see where its coming from if you are in the car when it happens.

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Cheers - I feared the holes was a good bad idea so will give it a miss.

Need a good weather day and some time to play with this...

TMW

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know in England you only have so many good weather days :) but have a helper ready to jump into action when you have that good weather day. Do you know how to remove the interior trim panels and have you done that yet?

Don Stewart

Reaction score
You will want to pull the rear seat and side trim panels in the rear. Then have someone spray water outside while you watch inside. I strongly suspect the seal at the bottom rear portion of the rear quarter window or other window weather seals. In any event you should be able to locate the leak this way.

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the replies.

As ttocs mentioned English weather is now not on my side - and the fact that it's dark by 4.30pm doesn't help either - no change to do anything in the evenings after work.

We'll get there!

TMW

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would not let the lack of light scare you. I honestly think with a helper and a directed water flow on the bad area that by the light of your phone it should not take long or be hard to spot with as much as is getting in.

Monday

Reaction score
Def your window. Same problem w/my 96 GT and the new top fixed it.

For eighteen to twenty months, all I used was Gorilla Tape around the window, and it worked great, until it got sunny. Then you wanna put the top down. Take the Gorilla Tape off before putting the top down cuz you'll be picking up glass shards for a week... jus sayin

Use two or three strips across the top, bottom, and sides. It'll keep the water out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online