1994 Mustang GT not starting?

jun10r

Reaction score
Ok, this morning, the Mustang started great, backed out of my driveway and then all of a sudden it just cut off. Put it in neutral and it cranks fine but will not start? Tried several things thinking maybe just needed to "reset" so I put it in park, took the keys out, back in...cranks, but will not start.

So, I put it in neutral, pushed it out of the way and drove the Jeep to work instead.

Did a quick google search and the stator (PIP) is what comes up first as a common issue. I am a complete newb here, and wanted to ask a few questions.

My GT has the MSD Ignition on it... does that effect the stator/PIP thing? The pictures make it look like this is just below the distributor cap which is def part of the MSD stuff (near as I can tell.)

Other suggestions on trouble shooting this issue?
yyXYBnx.jpg

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Can you hear the fuel pump? You should be able to hear it prime for about 3 seconds when you first hit the key.
The PIP is definately a posibility.
The fuel pump could have just died too. Test for pressure. 42psi with the vacuum line removed.
The FP relay inside the CCRM could have failed though not very likely but possible

lutter94

Reaction score
You have MSD ignition box or a MSD Coil/Cap/Rotor?

I had exactly the same setup as you coil/cap/rotor (from what I can tell). Please go out and buy a replacement coil. If you don't do it now, it will leave you on the side of the road. Ask me how I know. Those MSD coil's are absolute junk. A basic replacement is sufficient. Similar to buying more expensive plugs because it makes it seem like it would be better, when in reality basic is better.

OP
OP
J

jun10r

Reaction score
Where would you get a basic replacement? Napa / Autozone, or go for an OEM part?

I am seeing a couple options on autozone, $22-35 (Valucraft and some other off-brand)

Late Model Resto has the motorcraft OEM for $57.

Would you get the 22-35 version or go ahead and do the OEM at NAPA or such?

$22 is certainly cheap insurance if nothing else, buy it, try it, if fixed great, if not, a backup part?

Sam

lutter94

Reaction score
Where would you get a basic replacement? Napa / Autozone, or go for an OEM part?

I like O'Reillys myself, but any of the above. BWD is the brand I bought, was around $30. I'm sure they have something comparable.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
replacing the PIP isn't that easy. The whole dizzy needs to be disassembled to get to it. And the drive gear may need to be pressed off and back on.

OP
OP
J

jun10r

Reaction score
replacing the PIP isn't that easy. The whole dizzy needs to be disassembled to get to it. And the drive gear may need to be pressed off and back on.

Sounds like it would almost be better to simply replace the whole thing?

I will start with the $25 coil to see if that fixes the issue, if not, I will keep it as a spare and move on!?

OP
OP
J

jun10r

Reaction score
Ok, $65 MSD Ignition coil removed, $22 ValuCraft installed, and.... wahlah!! She lives!!

For the heck of it I tried starting before doing anything, no go. Then I tried "tapping" the coil for the heck of it, and still no go/start.

Super quick replacement. So, should I pursue getting MSD to fix this coil? Previous owner was the one who put it on, so I do not have any data on the original purchase, other than it would be under 12 months I believe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lutter94

Reaction score
I'd just toss it and tell people not to buy them if you Google, you'll see that they have issues. When mine died, it puked out transformer oil.....

Glad ya got her fixed though! Super simple is good. Lol

87hurricane

Reaction score
That's a shame, MSD used to make good stuff. Wonder if they have outsourced to try and save a few bucks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online