1994 Mustang GT Resto - New Plans

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
So I'm still without lights but i did find another thread on a different forum suggesting a bad taillight ground somewhere in the trunk. I'll be searching for that as soon as I get out of work. Wish me luck!

On a separate note. The exhaust manifold stud that I was expecting to have a hard time getting out was actually a breeze. The stud snapped below the upper hex head so I was able to get it out with a breaker bar and my new 1/2' drive tools.
Replacing the studs, I found a set at advance. Dorman part No.3129 or No.03129 depending on the store. They weren't listed as a direct fit part for my car, and the back of the package just says "various ford applications" but they fit and work perfect. The only difficulty getting them on was that there is no hex head built onto the stud like the OE studs. Instead there is a only a rounded seat that butts up to the collectors and a semi rectangular tip that I tried using to spin them in but with very little success.

9110133_rnb_03129_alt2_larg1_zps14f66118.jpg

To solve this, I went to the hardware store, picked up a couple of nuts and ran them all the way up to seat effectively adding my own hex head. This made for easy work and a very solid fit. The rest of the exhaust assembly was cake from there.
I cut my smog pipe too short and need a longer hose, right now i have it pinched off. I know it supposedly causes damage to the pump to have that line pinched so I'm wondering if I should go smog delete or not since I will have to run through emissions again in a year. Thoughts?

MORDENENOUGH

Reaction score
I responded to your electrical issue in that section, but have a look under the dash at the harness from the multifunction switch to the back. It gets pinched or cut by the tip of the brake pedal arm. Its hard to see, I had to unwrap the harness to see the short caused by the damage.

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
I got some good suggestions on my problem thread which I will have to try tomorrow. I was supposed to get a new multifunction switch today but Ford dropped the ball. Fortunately they said they will deliver it to me tomorrow so I don't have to drive out again.

Rather than have another wasted day, I decided it would be a good time to spray my center console. About a week into driving this car, I found the lack of places to put stuff to be entirely unacceptable. I picked up a center console out of an '04 which was the dark charcoal gray color. I bought the paints from latemodelresto a while back but haven't had the opportunity to use them until today. I am very happy with the way the console came out.

d3acac27-22c3-40ff-aaaa-15b96402e560_zps6f30d96b.jpg

Here you can see the armrest door still unpainted in the original Dark Charcoal Gray on top of the newly painted Opal Gray console.

Sadly, the vinyl dye for the door doesn't match the color of the plastic lacquer. I'll have to contact latemodelresto tomorrow to see if I got the wrong can, one from a bad batch, mislabeled, etc and hopefully get a new can of the right stuff. The console paint is a perfect match for the rest of my interior.

I'm hoping for a win tomorrow (who am I kidding, I hope for a win everyday) with the new multi switch and the tips that I received.

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
I gave up on the lighting issue. After I sepnt too many hours to count, I had a friend of mine (an 8 year SN95 veteran) take a look and he came to the same conclusion I did. That conclusion being complete and total frustration.

So I dropped it off at a Ford dealer I trust and 3 hours later it was fixed. They also took care of the hood separation and parking brake recalls. I don't know what the problem was yet but I will update after I pick it up today.

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
I went to pick up the Mustang and the tech that worked out the lighting issue had already gone for the day. I will be catching up with him tomorrow on the repairs. I was only charged for 2.5hrs of labor which I am very happy about.

Unfortunatley I have to go back tomorrow. I won't divulge too much here but I will say that my belt shredded as I pulled out of the dealership in a "lively" manner.

Fortunately, when I returned to the dealer immediately to purchase a new belt, the service guy saw me with shredded belt in hand and exclaimed "well, that's going to be free of charge!"
So they are keeping the car another day to replace the belt and look for any damage which I am happy about since I didn't have to drive the car home without a water pump.

Updates tomorrow....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
Meanwhile in other good news...

e6aqanyt.jpg

I got my mitts on some Japanese export tails! I'm really excited to put these on.

I always liked amber turns on the 99 cobra and actually almost picked up some Aussie tails for my 03 Explorer.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
Spoke to the the ford tech and he says there was a gray wire in the harness connector in the left kick panel that was loose.
I'm aggravated that I cut into my headlight switch harness for nothing but so happy that its working again.

I will have to wait to pick it up until tomorrow because they had to order the belt, whats one more day right...:(

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
Grinding/Clanging while Starting

So I've had a crazy busy past couple of months at work but have been having a lot of fun driving my car everywhere this summer. I'm preparing to put her away for the winter but just a couple days away i started hearing something...

When i start it up, right after i let go of the ignition, there is a quick grinding/clanging noise. I assume its just the starter and i'm planning on picking one up and changing it tomorrow.

Is there anything else I should be worried about or try to look for?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Finally finished the exhaust. It sounds amazing, maybe a little loud but we'll see. I'll go into details later but for now....

I need major help. My lights are out, everything except my headlights and map lights.

I posted in the electrical section. Please, Please, Please check it out for more details if you think you can help.
(UPDATED - More Testing, Same Problem)

Any idea how that wire got cut? When it gets to that point you have nothing else to do but to start tracing all the wires to what ever isn't working.

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
Any idea how that wire got cut? When it gets to that point you have nothing else to do but to start tracing all the wires to what ever isn't working.
It wasn't cut, a pin just sort of fell out of the harness.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
gotcha I was just curious. Pins don't just fall out though it would have had the harness disconnected and then reconnected.

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
Today I have come here to report that my Mustang and I will be parting ways. :(

Last week I placed a deposit for a new 2016 Focus RS. :D

21545185213_8707905d88_b.jpg

I've always wanted an RS car and now that they are finally here in the states, I couldn't pass up the opportunity.
Not to mention, All the things I wanted to do to the Mustang and needed to do to my Explorer (also selling) but never got anywhere with them.

I plan to trade the mustang, but that will depend on what the dealer offers me.
I will be putting the factory exhaust back on since it has to go through emissions anyway, which will make her almost entirely stock.

The Focus RS doesn't arrive until April at the earliest. So I'm hoping to get at least a couple more weeks of top down driving done before I have to say goodbye.

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Nice! Post here when you get her. Id love to see some pics/videos/reviews. Congrats man!!!

Mustanger

Reaction score
I think the RS is going to be a BIG winner! Congratulations on a good looking car! But get a bright color! LOL...Red or yellow or bright blue!! Even white! Naah it's YOUR car! just pulling your chain!

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm words everyone!

I think the RS is going to be a BIG winner! Congratulations on a good looking car! But get a bright color! LOL...Red or yellow or bright blue!! Even white! Naah it's YOUR car! just pulling your chain!
The pic I posted is very close to the one I ordered. They only have 4 color options available in the US (White,Black,Gray,Blue). The Blue is too bright, I didn't want to stick out. Globally they only have one more color and its another gray.
Not sure why they are so limited in the choices. Who knows, it may just end up getting wrapped anyway.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Today I have come here to report that my Mustang and I will be parting ways. :(

Last week I placed a deposit for a new 2016 Focus RS. :D

21545185213_8707905d88_b.jpg

I've always wanted an RS car and now that they are finally here in the states, I couldn't pass up the opportunity.
Not to mention, All the things I wanted to do to the Mustang and needed to do to my Explorer (also selling) but never got anywhere with them.

I plan to trade the mustang, but that will depend on what the dealer offers me.
I will be putting the factory exhaust back on since it has to go through emissions anyway, which will make her almost entirely stock.

The Focus RS doesn't arrive until April at the earliest. So I'm hoping to get at least a couple more weeks of top down driving done before I have to say goodbye.

I really like that color personally.

If I keep my 96 I have been thinking of going with a similar color between like battleship gray and slate blue.

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
I spent the last few weeks getting my mountaineer back in shape to be on the road for the first time in 6 years. Now I think the oil pump is shot.
Since i don't have the time to get into that whole ordeal at the moment, I'm going to spend this weekend doing something a little more fun/necessary.

I going to swap my factory cats back in place on the stang so I can get through emissions this weekend. Hopefully I'll get a few weeks of nice, sunny, top-down days before someone takes this thing away from me.

Just opened up some boxes tonight... now I'm deciding which never-had-time-to-install parts are going to be sold with the car and what I'm selling separately.

I have no idea how to sell a car, probably because I don't want to. If it were feasible, I'd keep and fully restore every car I have ever owned. Reality sucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online