1994 Mustang GT Resto - New Plans

rew729

Reaction score
Starting my build thread...

I've had my car on the road for a month this week and together we have completed our first car show.
ce76c306-fe8e-467a-a547-50ae9485d606_zps863f9d1d.jpg
(Mine is the Red one)
I had a lot of ideas and talking with people at the show helped to solidify some of them.

Also, I have a holy muffler (hanger rotted off) which kick started my mod appetite.
I am going to be installing a Flowmaster American Thunder catback and BBK O/R H-Pipe very very soon (maybe tomorrow if i get everything).

Then, I will be tearing down my '98 Mounty 5.0 and prepping it for swap into the Mustang, provided I can find a good area to work.

Questions and Comments are appreciated. Looking for project name suggestions...

See you soon!

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
I didn't get outside on my free day to put the new exhaust on yet since it was raining but I did manage to fix my convertible top motor. It was hanging up, sometimes I had to tap it to get it to work and when it did it was running slow and took about 35 secs to go up or down. Now it works every time and takes about 15 secs to go up or down. I did a write up here.

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
Exhausted

I started replacing my exhaust after work yesterday. Things went pretty smooth for the most part but iIjust ran out of time. I got the old mufflers out and was going to just bolt them up to the factory cats so I could get it back on the road but the cat bolts didn't line up with the new clamps. Rather than modify it to make it work for a day, I decided to hold off and just replace the h-pipe too. The only other thing that looks like it will give me some trouble is getting the tailpipes into the mufflers on my new Flows, they are really tight.

9b9a092e-ca30-4f9e-992f-95cb41746818_zps40875684.jpg

Aside from that, I've got some write-ups coming along for various little jobs, so keep an eye out.

RichV

Reaction score
Make sure you upgrade the valve springs and swap the cam from the 'Mounty'.

I was like WTF is a Mounty? :)

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
Sounds like a cool build. What other plans for the car do you have?

What and when are very different things. I have the h-pipe and cat back going in now. I also have a SR Performance CAI, yet to be installed.

Here's a list of upgrades I eventually (in no particular order) want to do:
-3.73 gears (for more fast!)
-Subframe Connectors (for more stiff!)
-Wheel Spacers (for more wide!)
-Staggered 9/10.5 FR500s ( ^ )
-Suspension (for more low!)
-Engine work below (for more!)

Make sure you upgrade the valve springs and swap the cam from the 'Mounty'.

I was like WTF is a Mounty? :)

Sorry, that is explorerforurms lingo lol.

When I have the time and a place to pull the motor out of my mountaineer. I will be doing a full tear down/gasket replacement, and then...
-Intake manifold port
-Replacing the stock rocker arms with 1.6 rollers
-New valve springs and pushrods
-Swapping the cam for an e303
-likely new headers to accomodate the gt40p heads and open the exhaust up a bit more.
and anything else that looks like it needs replacing.

RichV

Reaction score
Good recipe of parts there. Should be good for around 275HP at the tires. If you're using the Explorer GT40 intake, probably wouldn't worry about porting it. Maybe just a cleanup, but you won't be anywhere near its flow limit.

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
Good recipe of parts there. Should be good for around 275HP at the tires. If you're using the Explorer GT40 intake, probably wouldn't worry about porting it. Maybe just a cleanup, but you won't be anywhere near its flow limit.

Yeah? You think 275 is all? What else would I need to break 300?

RichV

Reaction score
You may be able to get closer to 300 with a more aggressive tune.

Although I did see one of my CMC competitors pull mid 290's on the dyno with the same modifications. He had a SN Cobra ECU and the 24# injectors. I'm fairly confident that his heads were milled a bit for a higher CR.

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
I have had bad weather and only a couple days here and there to work on my exhaust.
This weekend was beautiful but I unfortunately had several events including a wedding to go to so I lost some valuable time.

Last night however I was able to get back under the car and try to get a handle on removing the stock h-pipe. Too bad I was using garbage tools.

65ca57da-f57f-44a3-925e-150f35effd73_zps87fd43b2.jpg

I had already sprayed the nuts with PB Blaster a couple days earlier. I was impressed at how little effort it took to snap that extension. So this put an early end to another good day and with no more progress. I'm not even aggravated at how much trouble this is giving me I'm more just upset that I cant drive my car. :(

I sprayed some more PB Blaster on, from the engine bay this time, hoping for a little better seeping to occur.
Wish me luck, any tips are appreciated.

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
i use a 1/2" drive ratchet and a long extension to remove the collector bolts.

...I need to get some new tools.

and I'm using a 12point 17mm socket on them. It was the first thing I tried but it seems like a tight fit.

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
Some bedda tools man.

I learned early on that crap tools make a shitty job even worse.

While I was at work, my dad went out and picked up new 1/2 drive stuff and finished the job for me. Thanks Dad!

Three of the nuts came off fine but one stud snapped, so now I've got to try to pull the driver side header and fix it.

RichV

Reaction score
While I was at work, my dad went out and picked up new 1/2 drive stuff and finished the job for me. Thanks Dad!

Three of the nuts came off fine but one stud snapped, so now I've got to try to pull the driver side header and fix it.

Nice!

Good place to pick up some quality tools is a Pawn Shop. I'd rather get brand name used than no-name new any day.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Husky and Kobalt tools found at Lowes and Home Depot are made by Mac and Snap-on and have a lifetime warrentee too.
I wouldn't get any new Craftsman tools. They're just crap. 20+ year old is probably still ok though.

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
I had someone follow me back home today so I didn't get rear ended. Its so disappointing not being able to drive this car now that the weather is good to put the top down. There's some rattling in the exhaust so I'll have to tighten up a few things. I also need to locate a driver side tailpipe hanger because apparently it wasn't there when i bought the car. But before any of that, I need to figure out whats going on with the lights.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online