1995 Cobra Blown up motor, Turn To 4.6 2v SOHC!

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
I have been working a lot on the specifics of this build and have been through many ideas. I was on a 351w as some of you may recognize, but am going to settle on a 2v. I now have a place where the car is stored and I can work on it from there as well! Went and got the car the other day and cleaned the hell out of it planning to get a Romeo block this week!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I have been working a lot on the specifics of this build and have been through many ideas. I was on a 351w as some of you may recognize, but am going to settle on a 2v. I now have a place where the car is stored and I can work on it from there as well! Went and got the car the other day and cleaned the hell out of it planning to get a Romeo block this week!
Post up some pictures! So you’re swapping a pushrod car to a modular engine? What’s the plan for electronics, transmission, wiring? Stock 2v or built?

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
This is the possible new motor. He is offering to do 150, and has the rod caps but no hardware. Specs it is bored .020 which isn't bad and it is a Romeo motor.

Attachments

• New Engine.jpg
    New Engine.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
Post up some pictures! So you’re swapping a pushrod car to a modular engine? What’s the plan for electronics, transmission, wiring? Stock 2v or built?
I will post some photos, but all my shots are to large of a file to post, and yes the plan is to go from pushrod to overhead cams. electronic wise I have a meqsquirt ecu which is compatible to the swap since I own a 95 car I only had obd1 instead of obd2 so I am already on stand alone. Transmission I am only wanting a manual maybe a built tr3650, a t5 or tk0 all three should be good enough to get it going. I also plan to do fully forged internals to add boost down the line in a few month after the build is running.

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
ea759937fd48f655f69ea73a603983ef.jpg

c4c77e1500ec327085689dbaaab21112.jpg

3b21a377b225d6e9693363797b01205e.jpg

Here’s some photos the first day I owned it, then the day it blew up and the old setup.

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
Also after cleaning the hood from all the oil and grease. 13 cans of brake clean later I could see the k-member. Background of the car is built top end with vortech 11 lbs of boost forged pistons and a hole in it photo attached
cbe38003ea3b63f84ea44d8576d05513.jpg

c58c91a9561887f81947a636242808c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
All the old parts from previous setup were sold. They accumulated a total 3,000$ or so. Not bad but maybe could’ve gotten more.

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
Snatching up some parts this week. Got that Romeo block and a 03 04 cobra crank for 225 for both!

Attachments

• block.jpg
    block.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 11
  • crank.jpg
    crank.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 12

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Right on. I am very familiar with the megasquirt stuff, I just pulled the MS off my car as a matter of fact. What MS are you running? And what’s your plan for coils, LS coils or 4.6 coils with spark modules?

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
Right on. I am very familiar with the megasquirt stuff, I just pulled the MS off my car as a matter of fact. What MS are you running? And what’s your plan for coils, LS coils or 4.6 coils with spark modules?

I am on mspnp2, and not sure on coils to be honest this will be my first time messing with them.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Welp Carl...you come to the right place! Resident lwarrior1016 has you covered with megasquirt info!
And any other build related question or ideas you think up lwarrior has became this modular building madman with a wealth of knowledge

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
Welp Carl...you come to the right place! Resident lwarrior1016 has you covered with megasquirt info!
And any other build related question or ideas you think up lwarrior has became this modular building madman with a wealth of knowledge
Good to know!

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
Couple questions are the pi heads decent starter heads? I also am looking in between a turbo or supercharger either on3 or kenne bell. I have always wanted the wine but love turbo setups thoughts on either? good bad ugly etc

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Pi heads are great heads! My opinion leans towards npi heads....they very durable.

When looking for pi heads, target the years 04-10. They came 8thread sparkplug holes. The earlier versions spit plugs taking the hole threads with them. Dont fret if you cant find the newer heads, their are fixes for the old heads.

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
Pi heads are great heads! My opinion leans towards npi heads....they very durable.

When looking for pi heads, target the years 04-10. They came 8thread sparkplug holes. The earlier versions spit plugs taking the hole threads with them. Dont fret if you cant find the newer heads, their are fixes for the old heads.
If I do the 05 to 10 pi heads wont they be three valve shouldn't I be avoiding three valve. Last time I had my old 07 gt it was a nightmare and needed lockouts bad!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Look at crownvics, marques, town cars, and service Fseries trucks and service econoline vans.

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
Haven’t had an update in a couple days. Today I got my hands on a 4.6 2v Romeo block bored 2 over (perfect for my forged pistons). Just the bare block and a termi cobra forged crank out of that block for a total of 225. Also ran across an add couple hours away, but it will be worth the drive. 4.6 v8 long block with a tick talked him down to 50$ so I’ll be getting that soon to. Plan with that motor is rear it down take what I want sell what I don’t flip it for profit!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online