1995 GT 5.0 Code Reader

Art

Reaction score
What is a good Code Reader to buy for my 1995 GT 5.0? I was told most new code readers won't work.
Please answer thanks.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that is honestly one of those tools that I would just go to vatozone to have checked when I needed.

Chip66

Reaction score
that is honestly one of those tools that I would just go to vatozone to have checked when I needed.

For $30, I'd much rather have the code reader in my toolbox to save time when needed.

I have the Innova Ford reader. It works well. Keep track of the book for quick code lookup.

Wmac

Reaction score
I have an old Actron CP9110 scan tool. It will also read live data. They were sold with seperate cartridges for Ford, GM, Chrysler and even an obd 2 cartridge. Works well for my needs.

Maybe check Craigslist or swap meets for one.

Chip66

Reaction score
I have an old Actron CP9110 scan tool. It will also read live data.

I didn't realize that was possible with the OBD1 in Fords. What kind of live data can these read?

I just may need to get one of those.

Wmac

Reaction score
It does indeed. And there are probably others like the old Snap On "bricks" that do much more and can be bought for cheap.

The Actron is/was a do-it-yourself scan tool way back in the day. Its kind of "klunky" but has a lot of capabilities. It will read live time values of many or all sensors from obd 1 vehicles. I have a spread sheet that I occasionally use and plot sensor data at hot idle, 30mph and 55mph. I had found the diagnostic reference values on a Ford shop manual.

I used it to verify that a very expensive water temp gauge was reading temps of approx 7% above true valve at normal operating temps. I was some kind of pissed because I had been chasing my tail over what I thought were overheating issues.

Hope this info helps.

OP
OP
A

Art

Reaction score
Thanks. I bought the Innova one you guys recommended. Light has come on a couple times, but never stays on. My daughter has the car up at Texas A&M so when she comes home the issues are "after the fact". I like to make sure everything is OK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online