1995 GT Convertible = REGRET for my SWAP

wkualum

Reaction score
New member guys. Thanks for having me. Bear with me on this...as I am having some serious regret.

Backstory - I have owned a 1994 manual V6 since May of 1995. I bought this car with 15,007 miles on it as a high school graduation present. Spent my life savings on it at that point. lol. It's been in my brother's barn since 2003. I couldn't afford a 5.0 but always told myself I would eventually do an engine swap.

Fast forward to present day - a couple months ago my brother bought a boat and my car needed to go. So....I have to get it next weekend. I was rushing to buy a running 5.0 so I could take both cars to someone who would do the job. Still taking reccomendations...near Flint MI btw. So tonight I go look at a 1995 GT convertible with 92,000 original miles. It was in a fender bender and the front quarter is messed up. It purrs like a kitten though. Sounds great. untouched - and no mods. It's an automatic though! I let myself get talked into an automatic!!! WHAT WAS I THINKING! ??????????

I am having some serious regret about 5 hours after paying the guy $2500 for this car. Someone please tell me it'll be ok and I should enjoy the benefits of an automatic ha ha

Attachments

• TANG1.jpg
    TANG1.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 15
  • TANG2.jpg
    TANG2.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 14

OpalFrostGT

Reaction score
It will be just fine. My wife says I should have been a Psychiatrist instead of a Brain Surgeon...LOL. Many times we worry about things that never appear. Enjoy your automatic, we love ours!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
You’re going to be just fine. If you wanted to keep you manual, then keep it. It should all bolt up to the 5.0, you’ll just need a tune afterward.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
This is also going to depend on the shops ability, as long as they do good work, you’ll be fine.

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Change the trans fluid to a synthetic version of the correct ford fluid. Change the filter also. I think you'll be happy. Also look on here about brake upgrades that are still OEM but better than your current calipers and rotors,.

maillemaker

Reaction score
Hey, you're my twin! :) I just got back into the Mustang scene myself after 20 years of minivans and other distractions after totaling my '95 I had bought new back in 2002.

Mine is also a convertible and also an automatic. I got an automatic so my wife could drive it. I prefer a stick, but it drives great. It goes as fast as I'm going to go on the streets anyway, and when I need to scoot, it scoots.

lutter94

Reaction score
As long as you have the 5.0 ecu you wont need a tune.

Incorrect......I have a 94 GT, swapped from AODE to T5. The AODE would cough when it wanted to shift, but otherwise run fine. If you flash the 5.0 Auto ECM as T4M0 it'll work great. You can make a 5.0 auto ecm run a manual, but you can't make a 5.0 manual ecm run an auto....its brain is different.

As you already have the manual components as far as pedals go, etc. I'd recommend finding a 94/95 T5 and bellhousing. In my swap I used a 94/95 5.0 bell, and a 99+ V6 T5. Worked well.

The V6 trans will bolt up to the 5.0, just have a smaller clutch than the GT guys. everything else should be fine as far as I know. I can assume the internals are weaker, but can't confirm or deny. Don't go auto, its not worth it!!!

Wmac

Reaction score
Many are using a v6 trans with their 5.0, as mentioned a 94/95, 5.0 bell and t4m0 ecu would be required. (or have a w4h0 ecu programmed) They can take a beating with a few mods. Cluster support plate, shim the cluster tight and shim the input shaft tight. Add 3/4 billets keys, new synchros and whale away.

An aode trans really responds to a Jmod, gears and converter. As suggested, change the fluid to mercon V, new filter and the largest trans cooler you can find.

95GTS302

Reaction score
Closest reputable shop would probably be the car guys/vector motor sports off old 23 in Brighton. They are an awesome shop and have used them for the past 8-10 years on my ever changing foxbody build. I started out with just having them tune my setups but it eventually turned into them doing pretty much a full build for me and couldn’t be happier with the results. They should be to handle your swap with no issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online