1995 gt intermittent crank no start

MJN

Reaction score
Hello Everybody.
I know that this has been done to death but I am at my wits end with this and since I am having an intermittent issue tracing it has been a bear. the symptoms that I have been able to trace don't seem to point anywhere specific. it will at times have the pulsing light at the coil but not start and other times no pulse. when It won't start I have confirmed that the coil is not giving off spark. I hate to say that I have replaced just about everything mostly due to not having enough time to do a proper diagnosis and the fact that when I start to run down the check lists it will suddenly start getting me back at square one. so far I have swapped out the wires, the distributor, the coil and the TFI. I am lucky in that I have a known good running car that I was able to pull parts off of. the no start seems to have no rhyme or reason as to when it will happen so im happy for any suggestions. tonight when I was running through the diagnosis it did have a tach jump once and also do like a "reboot" where the car acted like the ignition switch was flicked off and on even though it was not.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
start checking the grounding wires , make sure the wires around the battery are grounded
and the plug connections around battery unplug and plug back in there is one that looks like a barrel fuse check that one the grounds on the front apron by battery

OP
OP
M

MJN

Reaction score
start checking the grounding wires , make sure the wires around the battery are grounded
and the plug connections around battery unplug and plug back in there is one that looks like a barrel fuse check that one the grounds on the front apron by batterywgich other grounds besides those you listed should I check. I have checked the 2 barrel leads that come off of the battery, not much to do but unplug and replug those though. I checked the two that come right off of the battery to the core support.
which other grounds besides those you listed should I check. I have checked the 2 barrel leads that come off of the battery, not much to do but unplug and replug those though. I checked the two that come right off of the battery to the core support. with how it is acting I think that there is a pretty good chance it is something simple like a loose ground. it will crank every time but not catch, if you leave the key in the run position on occasion it will do the "reset" that I described earlier. I cannot reliably get it to restart when it docent start nor can I get it to not start when its does start. but whenever I go through a flow sheet like this listed here it will start and I will be left starting over halfway through.

07GtS197

Reaction score
What brand distributor do you have? Could be a bad pip signal. Maybe also pull the steering column shroud and check the ignition switch.

OP
OP
M

MJN

Reaction score
What brand distributor do you have? Could be a bad pip signal. Maybe also pull the steering column shroud and check the ignition switch.
I had the original from the car, the original off of the good running car, and currently it has a new rebuilt Cardone Ford unit, so i'm thinking that it probably isn't the pip or the distributor. I have also checked and now replaced the ignition switch with a new one. thank you for the suggestions, anything else you can suggest would be greatly appreciated.
-m

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Have you tried unplugging the computer plug it back in
Mabe dirt moisture corrosion

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
by "check the grounds" you can either remove the grounds, sand/clean the mounting areas and then retighten them down, or if you have an ohm meter and know how to use it see how many ohms the grounds are showing.

dcm0123

Reaction score
The power train control module could cause no crank and intermittent spark issues. The relays used for the cooling fans are undersized, overheat and damage components next to them

For a no crank I would also look at the ignition switch, clutch safety switch and grounds as previously mentioned.

If you have an alarm or remote start you will also need to look at how this is wired into your engine control system since they can cause problems.

Mustang-94-95-IgnitionControlModule.gif

94-95_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

Last edited:

badharleymb

Reaction score
Hello Everybody.
I know that this has been done to death but I am at my wits end with this and since I am having an intermittent issue tracing it has been a bear. the symptoms that I have been able to trace don't seem to point anywhere specific. it will at times have the pulsing light at the coil but not start and other times no pulse. when It won't start I have confirmed that the coil is not giving off spark. I hate to say that I have replaced just about everything mostly due to not having enough time to do a proper diagnosis and the fact that when I start to run down the check lists it will suddenly start getting me back at square one. so far I have swapped out the wires, the distributor, the coil and the TFI. I am lucky in that I have a known good running car that I was able to pull parts off of. the no start seems to have no rhyme or reason as to when it will happen so im happy for any suggestions. tonight when I was running through the diagnosis it did have a tach jump once and also do like a "reboot" where the car acted like the ignition switch was flicked off and on even though it was not.
Your security system is shutting it down. I had the same problem with My 95 gt conv

OP
OP
M

MJN

Reaction score
The power train control module could cause no crank and intermittent spark issues. The relays used for the cooling fans are undersized, overheat and damage components next to them

For a no crank I would also look at the ignition switch, clutch safety switch and grounds as previously mentioned.

If you have an alarm or remote start you will also need to look at how this is wired into your engine control system since they can cause problems.

View attachment 17497

View attachment 17498
thanks for the info Dcm, but I have good crank just no start. I don't have any alarm or remote start that I have been able to identify. thanks again

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MJN

Reaction score
Your security system is shutting it down. I had the same problem with My 95 gt conv
hello badharleymb, did you have an aftermarket security system or was it factory? I don't see any evidence of anything aftermarket on the car now so I don't think its would be that. but if it is a factory system issue you might be on to something. did yours crank? thanks in advance

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MJN

Reaction score
*possible update, after pulling out my hair on this for weeks I think I might have it fixed. I swapped in a new, not rebuilt, not used known, distributor and it seems to have fixed it for now. it was the first thing I tried after diagnosing so I ended up replacing way more than I would have otherwise but, oh well. thanks for all the help and reply. hopefully its good to go now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online