1995 mustang 4v swap

Venompower

Reaction score
Given the circumstances, doing this swap is completely counterintuitive. Having to buy (another) donor car and/or all kinds of parts on a broke budget vs. part out the Lincoln and drop in a 5.0 = no brainer.

Welcome, by the way.
Even that will be tricky...

Since the car was a V6, he will need engine harness, computer, accessories, k-member, radiator, fan, coolant hoses, coolant overflow, fuse box, brakes, transmission, driveshaft, etc.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Agreed, but the part-out of the Lincoln could (should?) cover most of that and a motor refresh, where he'd be spending a lot more money trying for the 4.6 swap, since the V6 stuff would be basically worthless.

Venompower

Reaction score
Agreed, but the part-out of the Lincoln could (should?) cover most of that and a motor refresh, where he'd be spending a lot more money trying for the 4.6 swap, since the V6 stuff would be basically worthless.
Yeah I don't know how much of the Lincoln stuff would be a direct swap, as noted the K-Member wouldn't work... what about fuel lines, tank, etc.

He doesn't want to hear it as stated in his first post and reply, and I get that because I remember being that young... but I think he would be way better off finding a higher mileage SN95 GT/Cobra and going from there. This being said, if he posts back in a year with the car completed, I would be the first to congratulate him on it!

Makoto

Reaction score
How bad do you want an expensive quad cam that sucks to work on when LS engines are a dime a dozen and will give you not only way more bang for your buck but they'll be waaaaaaaaaaay easier to do anything in that engine bay. You like that brake booster? gone. all your power steering stuff? gone.

I've been all over every square inch of my cobra, pulled every wire from the chassis. You'll need everything and even if its all bone stock 100% factory the engines have problems from said factory so ya need to get the cooling sorted.

the 4.6 32V engine is cool. they sound amazing but they don't make shittons of power or anything and for an all aluminum motor they sure do weigh a lot with all those cams and that massive intake.

LS swap that hoe and call it a day, man. I guarantee you it'll be easier and cheaper than doing a 4v swap.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
This swap can be done cheap, if he does it himself and is resourceful.

Go to the junkyard and strip a gt down. The ecu and wiring from that car can be put in to your car and with a couple modifications to the 2v wiring harness, it can run the 4v.

Swapping an ls, would result him being in the same boat he is in now and then he would have to buy another engine. Sure, an ls engine is cheap in stock form but they get expensive very quick.

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
How bad do you want an expensive quad cam that sucks to work on when LS engines are a dime a dozen and will give you not only way more bang for your buck but they'll be waaaaaaaaaaay easier to do anything in that engine bay. You like that brake booster? gone. all your power steering stuff? gone.

I've been all over every square inch of my cobra, pulled every wire from the chassis. You'll need everything and even if its all bone stock 100% factory the engines have problems from said factory so ya need to get the cooling sorted.

the 4.6 32V engine is cool. they sound amazing but they don't make shittons of power or anything and for an all aluminum motor they sure do weigh a lot with all those cams and that massive intake.

LS swap that hoe and call it a day, man. I guarantee you it'll be easier and cheaper than doing a 4v swap.
You can also go with a 351w swap if looking to keep it all ford. Just like the gm swaps there are plenty of parts and the fox body upr k member bolts right in. Fix body swap headers are there and you can follow fox or 94-95 351 swap guides

Makoto

Reaction score
This swap can be done cheap, if he does it himself and is resourceful.

Go to the junkyard and strip a gt down. The ecu and wiring from that car can be put in to your car and with a couple modifications to the 2v wiring harness, it can run the 4v.

Swapping an ls, would result him being in the same boat he is in now and then he would have to buy another engine. Sure, an ls engine is cheap in stock form but they get expensive very quick.

bro all i did was reassemble a cobra from parts after stripping it down, i have tons of experience, and it kinda sucked. im happy with the result but it definitely cost a lot more than slamming a carb'd v8 or ls1 in there. if you really want a mod motor here's what I would do, and its gonna sound nuts.

1. find an all aluminum 2v engine (aviator or exploder)
2. get everything off the GT, maybe even the engine if you really want a backup
3. swap everything into the car but use the newer not hotrodded lighter all aluminum V8
4. enjoy a lighter car that you can work on without removing major components or pulling the engine itself

but i'm just a dude that just rebuilt a cobra from scratch so what do i know :D

or be a total badass and jam a 2.7 ecobeast with a 2015 mustang 6spd and have a completely absurd monster.

these are my dreams. don't hate.

Last edited:

Makoto

Reaction score
oh but the cheapest best thing to do is sell your car and start with a GT unless your car is in amazing condition and has tons of non engine related mods.

OP
OP
Dillon95

Dillon95

Reaction score
Given the circumstances, doing this swap is completely counterintuitive. Having to buy (another) donor car and/or all kinds of parts on a broke budget vs. part out the Lincoln and drop in a 5.0 = no brainer.

Welcome, by the way.
It does I know but I can buy a mustang that is completely mangled and get all the parts I need to do the swap and I got the mk8 for free so although Ik it's counterintuitive I'm doing it

OP
OP
Dillon95

Dillon95

Reaction score
i like the idea of the swap, but as other's have said its a pretty intensive swap and can be done. You might consider selling the 4.6 and buying a 5.0 motor for it. The 4.6 teksid you have should bring ok money. Maybe enough to get the 5.0. I've just basically finished a 5.0 swap into a ranger that had a 2.3l so i know that going to the old 5.0 really isn't very complicated. Just saying.
Ikbut I wanna do this swap no matter what I'm not expecting it to be easy but I'm doing it either way nomatter how hard or expensive it is this 4v is going in this 95

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
On to some swap answers! Firsts things first, the k member and irs from the Lincoln will not swap. It sucks, but it’s true. You have to get a cobra irs to make that swap happen (I have one in my 98). You will absolutely need a k member for a 4.6 mustang. Either a stock one from a junkyard or an aftermarket one (this is where the budget thing comes in). The Lincoln oil pan will not work in the mustang so you’ll need a mustang oil pan and oil pickup tube. You will need mustang headers or exhaust manifolds. You will need mustang air conditioning parts. You will have to swap the brake booster off your car in favor of a hydro boost setup (complete from power steering pump to power brake setup and steering rack with all the lines) from a mustang or go manual brakes and steering (manual is what I have lol). You will need 4.6 mustang motor mounts. You will have to get mustang coolant hoses. I’m sure there are some other things needed in there.

The t45 trans will work out just fine. If your car is currently an automatic, you’ll need a clutch pedal assembly and the cable setup. If it’s already a stick, you’re ok. Your driveshaft will need to be changed. The Lincoln shaft will not work.

And the biggest issue is going to be how you plan to control the engine electronically. I do not believe it will be as easy as taking the ecu and wiring from the Lincoln but I could be a little off there. You’ll need to get wiring diagrams to see what is controlled by that ecu, and you may end up not being able to tune it later and you’d have to replace it anyway. There are much better aftermarket options.

I hope I didn’t scare you off. Let’s get this thread going though. I’d love to watch the swap happen.

I think this is the route you will be heading if your sticking with the setup in front of you.

Source the following:

K-Member
Mustang Headers
Mustang Oil Pan and pickup tube
A/C Components if you desire
Hydro Boost Brake setup
Motor Mounts for the 4.6
T-45 and driveshaft
ECU from a 96-98 Cobra would be ideal but a GT ECU can be "fixed" to work.

Start from there and then its a bunch of small stuff along the way.

OP
OP
Dillon95

Dillon95

Reaction score
I think this is the route you will be heading if your sticking with the setup in front of you.

Source the following:

K-Member
Mustang Headers
Mustang Oil Pan and pickup tube
A/C Components if you desire
Hydro Boost Brake setup
Motor Mounts for the 4.6
T-45 and driveshaft
ECU from a 96-98 Cobra would be ideal but a GT ECU can be "fixed" to work.

Start from there and then its a bunch of small stuff along the way.
thank you so much man!

OP
OP
Dillon95

Dillon95

Reaction score
Even that will be tricky...

Since the car was a V6, he will need engine harness, computer, accessories, k-member, radiator, fan, coolant hoses, coolant overflow, fuse box, brakes, transmission, driveshaft, etc.
thank you finally someone understands. ive been told to just use a 5.0 so many times but given the circumcstances it will be easier to just continue the 4.6 swap and cheaper cuz then i would have to buy a whole new motor.

OP
OP
Dillon95

Dillon95

Reaction score
oh but the cheapest best thing to do is sell your car and start with a GT unless your car is in amazing condition and has tons of non engine related mods.
see i got this car for an amazing deal basicly for free its not worth much it has dents and bad paint i cant sell it and get a gt which makes the cost go up emencly. if i find one for a good deal then yes ill buy one but thats highly unlikely

OP
OP
Dillon95

Dillon95

Reaction score

thatd be true if i didnt already have the 4.6 and i am pretty familiar with the 4v but not the ls so itd be easier "for me" to work on a 4.6 rather than an ls i aslo woulnd have to buy a lot more things to get the ls in there and driving. to name a few. new wire harness. raidiator, fans, drive shaft, transmission, entire motor, ect. i know i have to get most that anyways but i can buy a crash mustang and get all that while i cant exactly do that the other way around for an ls. and to reiterate i dont know jack when it comes to an ls.

OP
OP
Dillon95

Dillon95

Reaction score
Yeah I don't know how much of the Lincoln stuff would be a direct swap, as noted the K-Member wouldn't work... what about fuel lines, tank, etc.

He doesn't want to hear it as stated in his first post and reply, and I get that because I remember being that young... but I think he would be way better off finding a higher mileage SN95 GT/Cobra and going from there. This being said, if he posts back in a year with the car completed, I would be the first to congratulate him on it!
that sounds great it will be done this next summer if nothing interups me! found all the parts i need saving up for them and have figured out the wiring. dad has a buddy who does custom harnesses and he said hed be willing to help me make one for this. i understand everyone is trying to help but in my circumstances im in this will be the best and easiest way for me to get my mustang running and driving with a 4v

OP
OP
Dillon95

Dillon95

Reaction score
Okay for the people just seeing this thread i am building a 95 mustang with a 4v 4.6 motor from a 93 lincoln mk VIII. so far a lot of people have told me to just buy a 302 or sell this and buy a 96 or newer gt. now while that would make sense i basiclally got both cars for free and they even collectively arent worth much so i cant sell and buy a 96. so then the ls swap people come in to that i answer. i know 1000% more about 4.6's than do an ls motor so im not going to ls swap it. mabye for another car. so i have sourced all the parts and help i need to get the motor in and running correctly but thank you for replying to my question and as a first timer on this forum i apreicate all the replies that i have gotten even the ones telling me not to as that has just given me motivation to do it. if i have more question i will be sure to ask but for now all i have to do is order the parts and put em on. this weekend i will be taking everything i need outov the lincoln. i will update yall when the motor is out! thanks all!

Makoto

Reaction score
This is fine if:

1. you know 4.6's in and out
2. your current car is good
3. your doner car has everything you need
4. you have a shitton of time
5. you have extra money to replace all the shit you don't realize is broken until you go to make the donor parts work in your build

you're probably going to spend a few thousand on top of what you have now when all is said and done.

or you could spend the same and get a GT.

sounds like you just want to wrench. cool. if you wanna spend more money to do more work and end up with an engine that is more expensive and harder to work on that's fine.

just don't act like this is fiscally sound because to do this job right its gonna cost. that quad cam is going to eat up every dime you save.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Hey brother,....dreams is where we all started.

Dont let obstacles get in the way. Work hard, long hours. Save your money and get to wrenching.....youll figure it out and we'll be here to help with the questions

joe65

Reaction score
I get Mokato's point of view on this and we can all admit that its not going to be free. there's just always some shit that doesn't work out no matter. After getting the 5.0 running in our Ranger and dealing with all the shit that came up, I'm good with how it turned out, but i sure wish i had talked my son into just putting a turbo on the 2.3. Shit, this reminds me that I still need to wire the fan on that thing.

And i'm also agreeing that the 4 cam motors really are not cheap to work on especially if you're doing any kind of head work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010