1995 power seat

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Just got a 1995 GT convertible and the power seat was sluggish and wouldn't move with me sitting in it. Took it apart and cleaned it all up and sprayed white lithium grease on the gear screw. Moves real nice now on the bench but one side moves faster than the other. Keep in mind the track is on the bench unbolted from the seat. But when I start at full length one way and go full movement the other way one side gets there quicker than the other. Makes me think that would likely cause some binding? The extent is about 1/2 to 3/4", meaning when one side reaches the end the other side still has 1/2 to 3/4" left to go. Shafts seem to be the same length.
Anyone ever notice this and any ideas on the cause? I'm thinking possibly the gear that connects the flex shaft to the gear shaft may be skipping? I'd hate to put it back together and still have binding. My other option is to order the rebuild kit from LMR and replace that stuff?

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Loose on the bench is different than bolted in place. My opinion is that once you bolt it down the rails will move together as a unit. I had a manual seat out from a Camaro and it was askew once cleaned up and lubed , once installed it worked fine. Good luck

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think there are some plastic bushings that the worm gear goes through as it goes forward/back iirc. I am not sure where to get replacements but I bet one side is worn a little more than the other as I thought it just used one motor? Or is there two?

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Only 1 motor for both sides. Put it all back together and still 'jerky' and needs assistance to move forward. Gonna order the rebuild kit from LMR. Comes with new gears, etc

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Are the 1995 GT hoods fiberglass? Mine is. Installed the MMD hood strut kit tonight. Cupholder should be here tomorrow but I won't get to it till maybe Wednesday. Tires and wheels are supposed to be here Thursday

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Are the 1995 GT hoods fiberglass? Mine is. Installed the MMD hood strut kit tonight. Cupholder should be here tomorrow but I won't get to it till maybe Wednesday. Tires and wheels are supposed to be here Thursday
the stock hoods are not fiberglass but a poly-blend of some type. If you take off the cover on the bottom you can see if there are two large D-shaped cuts on the lower end that they cut out and put some more adhesive in it do keep them from separating in the recall.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
again it is not actual fiberglass but a composite material. similar but not the same, not sure why it matters though.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
again it is not actual fiberglass but a composite material. similar but not the same, not sure why it matters though.
I was just curious as to if it had been replaced and why. I installed the hood strut kit last night and was concerned that the struts were too strong for a fiberglass hood then started wondering why it had been replaced.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the struts are not stock, but the hood more than likely is if it looks stock. The struts have been sold for years and never heard of a problem from them.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
yeah they aren't 'too' strong after i got it all done but the concern crossed my mind after seeing the hood wasn't steel but i think it'll be fine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online