1996-1998 trickflow head swap kit and sn95's

Status
Not open for further replies.

brenden96911

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums so expect a few mistakes. I'll just give a quick introduction to my scenerio before I ask the questions I've been looking for for awhile. I'm from Saskatchewan Canada and bought a 1996 mustang gt for my first car almost 2 years ago. I've got to say I love it. It is pretty much stock except for a cold air intake, and a short throw. It has a few problems here and there but could be fixed. After a while though, the feeling of 215hp if that to the crank gets old very fast and a lot of you guys have known that for ages. It really sucks pulling upto lights with average street racers and knowing I have no chance. So I considered selling it and eventually buying a terminator but the car has more sentimental value to me then I thought it would have. I know there are people that made successful drag cars out of these so it could be made fast. It would most likely remain as my daily driver just the way I like it. So with the bit of mechanical expertise I do know (for a 17 year old) I started looking into doing it up a bit, or quite a bit. I do have a fair budget I could invest into parts and the build but need some insight first.

I'm trying to figure out all the factors before I consider even starting the build. I want it to keep up with lots of the modern cars of today, like even a stock coyote. They are a laughing matter to any street racer out there so I want to transform it into something better. I've raced a new stock 5.0 coyote in a GT C/S. I'm looking to make at least 400hp to the crank and am debating any power adders (nitrous, etc.) I would really like to have a nitrous set up that could hit about 500hp with 75 or 100 shots, but have heard mixed things

Everyone who wants more power probably looks at a PI swap first. There are countless parts out there required to bring a 96-98 up to make the sn95 compatable with the heads that fit the new edge. I've rode in a 2000 gt and i've got to say, they are quick for what they are but I'm looking for more. I've seen a fox that had top end trickflow heads, intake etc. and have to say I was impressed.

So my next option is trickflows for the 1996-2004's, but which seem mainly for the 99-04's. First off, with doing a trickflow swap, (38cc or 44cc) what parts would I need to get for my 1996 to do the swap. I see everywhere new edges doing trickflow swaps online but not really and 96-98's. I am wondering what additional parts would I need to do this swap with a trickflow heads, and intake manifold too that needed to be done on a pi swap. The manifold for example is only compatible with the 99 and forward head setup or bolt pattern. So this must mean more parts are required other than just buying a trickflow 2v top end kit. I would like to eventually find answers to not only help myself but other people with 96-98 2v's.

I know I would need forged internals, but have no expertise on where I would begin to look for them, or with matching proportions to the stock ones. I would first off assume I would need forged cylinders, rods, and a crank.

Other parts I was thinking were xe-270 cams, trickflow track heat intake manifold, bolt ons with perhaps 75mm throttle body, and a whole exhaust system.

Other than what I already stated what would I need to make it be able to hand about 500hp with nitrous? This would be my goal and

I also have no experience with tuning these cars and do not even know who would, so that is also just another minor problem

I know there is a lot of factors, to all of this but I would be very thankful to anyone who could kind of help me or point me in the right direction. Thanks for taking the time to read this fellow mustang enthusiasts. :)

Ninety8stang

Reaction score
lets just start off saying that its going to be really difficult for you to reach your 500hp goal without having to spend a lump sum amount of money. even with a trickflow top end kit, cams, and full exhaust the max ive really noticed people hitting is around 320rwhp so in order to achieve your goal you would definitely be looking at some sort of power adder. The set up im running is ported pi heads with a comp270s, full bolt ons and LT's made just over 300 at the wheels.

OP
OP
brenden96911

brenden96911

Reaction score

I still don't know how to upload images but i'm sure someone will tell me how sooner or later.

Hey, thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. Nice mustang you've got there and i'd just like to say i'm impressed with 300rwhp with the pi swap and no power adders. sounds about right but what do i know.

First off, I would like to say I was thinkin 500 hp at the crank that got to be somewhere around 430rwhp. and even with the 320rwhp that would be somewhere around 375 to the crank before power adders. i was really considering going the nitrous route and would be satisfied with 430rwhp or somewhere around that when using a 75 or 100 shot. of course i would be investing in forged internals but as i said, i would have no idea where to start with that or anything else needed to support nitrous. i've got a small budget that i would be willing to invest (a little over 8k at the moment), but the number is slowly climbing

any suggestions or debate on the wet or dry nitrous systems btw?

any other info about any of this would be appreciated, thanks guys

bonestock3.8DTH

Reaction score
Well the only kits I've seen that are the twisted wedge top end are for the 5.0 v8 and not the 4.6. But if you're looking to make 430ish at the tire I think your best wrote to go would be to do a PI top end swap and then throw a centri-supercharger on it, becuase that wouldn't be a terribley expensive swap to do and would give the horsepower you want and reliably. And I know the trick flow top ends I've seen for the 4.6s are really expensive.

1bad9d5

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum man. If your looking for some great power the entire Trickflow top end kit is great to give u a much needed power from where you are now. To get you where you want to be, maybe think about using the combo of the whole kit + nitrous? I don't really know much about nitrous but im thinking that combo would get you 400+ easy.. im more of a turbo guy, I love turbos and love the 1 on my car, if you buy some heads/upper+lower intake and than a turbo 10-12#s of boost, you will be more than enough fast for everybody and youll love it. Just some ideas for you to think about. Good luck.

Reaction score
Ive got the TFS heads and cams on my 96GT. Car is stroked to 5.0 and has a CR 11.2:1.
Made 327rwhp and 352 trq. Cams are a blower grind, and not helping at higher RPMs. Also just have shorty headers and full cats.
Car is fun to drive, and feels like it makes more power than what it does. Also have 3.73 gears.

OP
OP
brenden96911

brenden96911

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback, im really thankful for the suggestions, one of the main reason I dont want the pi swap is because im seeing quite a few new edge mustang upgrading to the trickflows, I figure id like to build it once and build it right, any debate on not doing nitrous but supercharger or turbo, and how was the swap 8111870? Is there any parts list out the for a 96 gt sto do the swap, I would do it but am on edge that I would be missing various parts half way through? -thanks again guys

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site, lots of good info here. I have the 38cc Trick Flow heads on my 03 GT, and I can tell you that the swap is straight forward. My car dynoed right at 330rwhp with the stock shortblock, TFS heads, Cushman 2.5 N/A cams, and stock PI intake. If youre set on doing Trick Flows, you first need to figure out what the end goal is. That will determine whether you get the 38cc heads or the 44cc's. 38's with your NPI pistons with put the compression right around 11.2:1 compression, which is perfect for N/A or nitrous, however if you want to run a turbo or supercharger down the road, you would have to run the 44's which would give you around 10.2:1. Intake manifold depends on your bottom end and cam selection. The plastic PI intake is a pretty good piece, and if youre not spinning the engine really high (6500+), then get yourself a PI intake. The aftermarket intakes don't start really working until higher RPMs, and most guys that put one on a car with the stock shortblock and mild cams see no power gain, and in some cases a loss of power and slower times at the track. There is a PI intake swap list for going from the NPI to PI intake on a 96-98 car as well, so that's no big deal. With your stock shortblock, TFS heads, a good set of cams, PI intake and toss a 100 shot on it, that would be a good running car, and surprise a lot of people on the street....

OP
OP
brenden96911

brenden96911

Reaction score
Thanks 8111870, any advice on whether you would do it again if given the chance? I was also wondering how much having it stroked to a 5.0 helped, I would really like to know wat im getting into it before I start? I saw a 5.0 stroker small block on MMR for over 3k, in saskatchewan it might be a bit harder to get major parts for my stang but shouldnt be a problem

OP
OP
brenden96911

brenden96911

Reaction score
hey, thanks for all the info and input 03DSGGT, really feels great to have people that are willing to help me with projects like this. I am still up in the air about power adders, I was thinking nitrous and supercharger but I might be getting ahead of myself. If I did run just the nitrous, should I get the 38cc's or the 44cc's. I have no experience with nitrous so I got not idea what I would be getting into. Any feedback on boring or stroking a 4.6? If I stroked it to a 5.0, would there be any benefit, or would there be any purpose on putting a trickflow intake manifold at that point and if i did would i still need the pi intake swap parts? I know i'm askin alot of questions but if I pull out the engine and take it appart I would like to get everything done right the first time. thanks for everything.

OP
OP
brenden96911

brenden96911

Reaction score
hey, thanks for all the info and input 03DSGGT, really feels great to have people that are willing to help me with projects like this. I am still up in the air about power adders, I was thinking nitrous and supercharger but I might be getting ahead of myself. If I did run just the nitrous, should I get the 38cc's or the 44cc's. I have no experience with nitrous so I got not idea what I would be getting into. Any feedback on boring or stroking a 4.6? If I stroked it to a 5.0, would there be any benefit, or would there be any purpose on putting a trickflow intake manifold at that point and if i did would i still need the pi intake swap parts? I know i'm askin alot of questions but if I pull out the engine and take it appart I would like to get everything done right the first time. thanks for everything.

Reaction score
Stroking wont give you much gain as far as HP goes, so stroking for power doesnt make sense. But if you are going for forged internals any way, why not stroke it. The torque is more low rpm available, so it will compliment a more aggressive cam.
The heads were expensive, but I will never exceed the flow these heads offer out of the box. They almost eliminate PTV issues by flipping the intake valve, sparkplug blowout is no longer an issue.
So down the line when a turbo kit is installed, heads will not be part of the equation. So i would do it again.
Stock PI intake for a mainly street car, nitrous likes compression, so go for the bump in compression.

OP
OP
brenden96911

brenden96911

Reaction score
Hey man, sorry for the long break on the forum, thanks for the advice, thing is i'm constantly looking around at things and tryin to figure out my plans, I just recently stumbled upon an 03 gt with rearend damage, so I was thinkin purchasing it really cheap and doin a swap with a way lower mile motor, maybe do that and throw in 3.73s, im almost halfway budget wise for a terminator and just buy one in a year instead of redoing my motor, if I wanted to do a 03 engine and tranny swap into my 96, where on the forum would a guy have to go getting information reguarding that?

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
It's basically a direct bolt in , I would use the computer cluster wiring etc from the 03 though because that's how I would do it no guessing . While your at it use the hydra boost and front brakes .... I would also keep it return style fuel system because I think it's more efficient. The 3650 trans mounts different so you may want to use your t45 instead . Unless you plan on swapping tail shaft housing

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
This thread has gone in so many directions, you need to decide how you want to make power. Once you have that down then you can look at your options. The pi swap was/is still the hot swap for an SN95 car with an NPI block only because of the bump in compression.

The TFS heads are great, with cams, a good manifold and correct tuning you can be in the high 3's all day and love life. Again, depending on machine work to the block/piston arrangement you decide on. Remember compression ratio will change from all of those parts, but a good way to make power NA isnt always the best for forced induction (turbo/supercharger/spray)

Good luck man

OP
OP
brenden96911

brenden96911

Reaction score
hey, sorry about taking this thread in all different directions and bringing it back now. i ended up just buying a 03 gt with a 03 cobra blower. this thread was kind of helpful but not enough i feel to actually help any one else. if anyone knows how i could take down this thread or how i can, just let me know and i'll get rid of it. thanks again guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online