1996 4.6 HPDE/TT Toy

sk8erord

Reaction score
I've been taking my S550 to HPDE events, and driving scared since I don't want to damage it. So I decided to buy myself a dedicated track car. Since my first ever Mustang (and car) was a 1996 Mustang V6, I decided nostalgia would be my driving force. I found this 1996 Mustang GT for $1200 with mis-fires in Cyl 1 & 8 and decided to take the risk. I was hoping it was a valve issue, since I was planning on swapping to PI heads/cams/intake anyways. Plans for the car are to turn it into an HPDE/TT4 car (maybe) and go full race car on it eventually. TT4 means I'm limited to a 12:1 lb:hp ratio.

After I got it home, I proceeded to tear into it, slowly, and taking LOTS of pictures. Up until this point, I had never done more than bolt on type work. I did a timing belt/water pump, turbo, and TMIC on my Legacy GT, but that's not cracking open the motor at all. As soon as I removed the valve covers, I found the issue - the intake rocker on cylinders 1 and 8 had somehow been knocked off. I wonder if the previous owner over-revved it and had the piston hit a valve? Undeterred, I kept on with the tear down. Once I pulled the heads, everything seemed ok. The pistons, though dirty, didn't look damaged, I couldn't feel any wear or see any scaring on the cylinder walls (no lip at the top, either), and the cross-hatching looked good. After extensive cleaning, I got down to the business of upgrading the motor.

So far, the parts list is as follows:
Romeo PI heads w/ Trickflow springs/lash adjusters and GT40 rockers
PI Camshafts
PI intake manifold
All new gaskets, timing components (chains, cam/crank gears, guides, tensioners)
New water pump
New starter
Pypes off-road x-pipe
Maximum Motorsports solid motor mounts

I had purchased a set of Pacesetter long tube headers and x-pipe, but I simply could not get them to work with the stock k-member. I'll keep them around for when I swap to a tubular k-member.

Reassembly went without TOO many hiccups, but I'd be lying if I said there weren't a couple times where I had to disassemble what I had just reassembled because I goofed on something. The biggest one was having to pull the heads back off because I had missed moving an oil plug on the bottom of each. Ugh. New head changing kit had to be purchased. (Wasn't willing to try to re-torque the gaskets or TTY head bolts). After getting the heads on, I realized that MMR had sent me the wrong timing chain guides, even though I specified 96-98 (I double checked my invoice). They never did respond to my email. I get the whole - you buy it, it's yours, but when it's the vendor's mistake, and not mine? Poor customer service there... So I ordered new guides along with the timing ring from a Ford parts site.

I finally got it all re-assembled, and all the fluids replaced, and it was time to fire it up. Needless to say, given that I had never undertaken a project this involved before, I was fairly nervous. After cranking it for a bit with the fuel pump fuse pulled to oil it, I replaced the fuse and fired it up. And it worked! It was running, and running smooth!

Since then I've added 2003 cobra front brakes, and swapped the old (REALLY old), bald tires for Federal 595RS-RR tires in 255/40r17 on all 4 corners. The car came with 17x9 bullits on all 4. It is coming together. It's not my S550 5.0, but I almost like it better - it's so much more analog. Next up is suspension work - full length subframes, shocks, and springs to get rid of the 4x4 wheel gap and craptastic handling! I'll also be getting it dyno-tuned here shortly to see if I came near my power goals (260-270rwhp). Probably not, especially since I'm at 4500ft of elevation, but hey, one can hope, right?

Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure. Note - the previous owner had tried to make a fauxbra out of it, and I've removed the cobra badging and rear bumper from the car. I think I'll keep the hood though. :)
05.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Gotta make a blood sacrifice to the project car gods!
04.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

I'll post more as more happens, especially when it gets on the dyno!

I can't thank everyone here enough for all the help you guys have given me in completing the project. Between here and these two write-ups, I got it done!
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/160636-pi-swap-write-up-1996-mustang-gt.html
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/pi-headswap-write-up.717166/
14.jpg

15.jpg

OP
OP
S

sk8erord

Reaction score
I've also replaced the 1 piece headlights with clear/slightly tinted 2 piece headlights. I prefer that look to the 1 piece halo/projectors.

PinkieT

Reaction score
Nice! Gives me incentive to get in the garage and get my project finished.

Caleb2v

Reaction score
Awesome man! Both of your cars look great. Any progress since your last post?

OP
OP
S

sk8erord

Reaction score
Finally took the car to the dyno. 243/283. Not too bad. Need about 20-30 more for my goals. So I'm thinking 73mm TB/Plenum, LTH, and a tune should get me there.
dyno.png

OP
OP
S

sk8erord

Reaction score
Awesome man! Both of your cars look great. Any progress since your last post?
The project took a hit financially, and the s550 was traded in for a FoST. Fiance decided I wasn't for her and left me with the mortgage. But at least I have the house and the SN95!

And I'm going to be doing suspension next, before I worry about more power. I'm at least a year out from worrying about classing for TT4.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Its all about priorities!

Once they figure out they cant change us they either give up or join us

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sucks to hear about the drama but it’s better to find out now then to find out after you’ve taken the plunge and she gets half of everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Free at last, O Lord free at last..
Now you can chase the women at the track events, here at Summit Point WV. they are showing up and dragging their anchors.

OP
OP
S

sk8erord

Reaction score
Well, fairly productive weekend. I replaced both rear wheel bearings (one was squeaking), and as a result, replaced the rear diff oil. Then yesterday, I dropped the car off to get the Maximum Motorsports full length sub-frames welded on!
20181009_091258.jpg
20181007_160922.jpg

OP
OP
S

sk8erord

Reaction score
New parts are starting to arrive:
Comp Cams XE262AH cams degreed by MHS, 24lb Ford Performance injectors, MM panhard bar, MM C/C plates, JLT CAI, BBK 73mm TB. Waiting for a few things to settle to grab the rest of the suspension parts I'm doing this winter - MM coilovers, H&R race springs, and a bunch of replacement bushings.

OP
OP
S

sk8erord

Reaction score
Not sure how I forgot - but I also just installed my MGW shifter with the race handle and gripper ball.

OP
OP
S

sk8erord

Reaction score
Alright, time for an update - first, the dyno sheet - 294/306
20190410_152223.jpg
Current list of mods:
Engine
96 GT NPI block
Romeo PI heads w/ Trickflow springs/lash adjusters and GT40 rockers
Comp XE262AH Camshafts - Degreed by MHS
JLT CAI
BBK 73mm throttle/plenum
Pacesetter LTH w/ off-road x-pipe
PI intake manifold
All new gaskets, timing components (chains, cam/crank gears, guides, tensioners)
New water pump
New starter
Mishimoto Radiator
Ford Performance 24lb injectors
Custom SCT dyno tune from Premier Perfomance
Maximum Motorsports solid motor mounts

Suspension
MM Full length subframes
MM C/C Plates
MM Shocks/struts with RA2 Race valving
MM Coilovers
Hypercoil springs 275lb/400lb
MM Panhard Bar
Prothane Steering Rack, FCA, Swaybar, and Endlink Bushings (and shorter endlinks)
MM Bumpsteer kit

Other
Cobra front brakes
MGW Shifter w/ Race handle
Sparco race bucket
Harness bar w/ Schroth 5 point camlock harness
NRG quick release hub w/ Oreca wheel

wmfateam

Reaction score
Nice! I know Trenton when he lived in AZ and he sent me the link to your car. What class are you setting it up for? I would suggest some hood venting, larger radiator scoop thing under the car, box the radiator and remove the fan(if a track only car). That is the best way to play with aero and not have to take points.

OP
OP
S

sk8erord

Reaction score
TT4 was the initial plan, but I sort of over did it for power. I'm still in DE so I have a year to sort it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online