1996 mustang cobra won't start, theft light blinking

ShaneCR

Reaction score
I work in the car business and just had someone trade in a 96 mustang cobra. Only has 89k miles and he drove the vehicle in to our dealer. I decided hey I want to buy the vehicle so after he left I went out to take a look at the vehicle. It came with 2 keys, 2 fobs and has an alarm system that says ford on it under the dash. Problem I am having is the vehicle is not starting which I don't understand because he drove it to us. I put the key in and attempted to start the vehicle and nothing happens. The dashboard shows theft which is blinking but the fobs won't deactivate it or unlock the doors or trunk. I figured it was the batteries in the fobs...nope same thing. So after talking with a tech he suggested we remove the alarm system which he did. Still won't turn over and theft light is still active. I currently also drive a 95 gt mustang and when you turn the vehicle over you hear everything engage before starting it like the fuel pump and injectors but I don't hear anything with the 96 cobra. We also attempted to remove the tumbler to bypass it hoping that was the issue...nope now he thinks it's the ignition switch. Any ideas please help I really want to get this thing running so I can sell my 95 gt.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The security light blinking has nothing to do with the keyless entry/alarm you removed. Hopefully it was not a code alarm system that has a normally open starter kill as if the tech didn't take the time to reconnect the starter wire that is one reason it would not crank now. The flashing light is the pats system in the keys that are passive transponders. Is it possible you only tried to start it with one key? If so and that key for some reason was not programmed, the other key might or should and you just need to program the other. I have to say I am kind of confused of someone in the car biz that doesn't understand fords pats system.

Jgehret

Reaction score
^ Gotta agree

First what code is the theft light flashing? It's very possible the one key is a dummy and doesn't communicate with the pats system. Start with the code flash and work from there.

Rob04Mach1

Reaction score
What happens when you turn the key ?

I would talk to the former owner it clearly sounds like your not enabling the PATS System and there may be a trick to it. If it has Auto Start that is most likely your problem. Happen to me recently with a Ford, former owner had some crazy alarm and when I first got it there was no problem and then I hit a valet button and it never started again. In my case and after a lot of headaches I figured out that after I opened the door I had to get in and hit a button on the FOB and then start it. If I didnt hit the button on the FOB after I got in it would not start.
BTW with many aftermarket auto starts they actually keep a FOB hidden under the dash and the battery could have died, thats happened to me also.

Jgehret

Reaction score
What happens when you turn the key ?

I would talk to the former owner it clearly sounds like your not enabling the PATS System and there may be a trick to it. If it has Auto Start that is most likely your problem. Happen to me recently with a Ford, former owner had some crazy alarm and when I first got it there was no problem and then I hit a valet button and it never started again. In my case and after a lot of headaches I figured out that after I opened the door I had to get in and hit a button on the FOB and then start it. If I didnt hit the button on the FOB after I got in it would not start.
BTW with many aftermarket auto starts they actually keep a FOB hidden under the dash and the battery could have died, thats happened to me also.

Had ad the same issue on a 97 Taurus I bought at auction. You had to get in the car, shut the door, press the unlock button on the fob, then reach under the dash and press an override button. Stupid aftermarket alarm...

OEFVETSN95LOVER

Reaction score
Im have a similar problem
I disconected the battery to install a new alternator, now it wont start.
there is an aftermarket alarm installed
I love this car but its starting to annoy me

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
so the security light in the gauges is flashing?

As I mentioned to you yesterday its easier for us if you start a new post and give us all the relevant info that you have on your car so we can narrow down the problem

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If it has an aftermarket alarm then chances are it has a starter kill relay installed and that's the problem!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99