1996 Mustang GT 4.6L 2V Clutch Size for Replacement

mustangmurley

Reaction score
I've got the 96 GT 4.6L and I'm looking to replace the clutch this winter. My question is for the size of the stock clutch in my car. I'm almost 100% positive its the 10.5", but I want to be sure. I was also wondering what clutch kit you guys would suggest. I know a lot of it is preference, but I am not looking to go crazy money wise and looking to cover up to 500hp. I have been looking really hard at the king cobra kit and a fidanza flywheel. Open to all ideas and suggestions. Thanks!

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Should be a 10.5" unless someone has swapped out to a 11" over the years. Most aftermarket flywheels have provisions for both though so if you do end up getting a aftermarket flywheel that shouldn't be a issue.

OP
OP
mustangmurley

mustangmurley

Reaction score
Should be a 10.5" unless someone has swapped out to a 11" over the years. Most aftermarket flywheels have provisions for both though so if you do end up getting a aftermarket flywheel that shouldn't be a issue.

I'm almost sure that the clutch has never been replaced I'm just near 100k on the car and I can hear the TOB pretty clearly. I just PI swapped along with many other mods last winter I'm actually really surprised the clutch lasted all summer. :evil:

OP
OP
mustangmurley

mustangmurley

Reaction score
Great Thanks. I'm also looking for a new trans mount, any suggestions.... I find mixed and match ones on eBay.. 5 speed t45 trans.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Forget king cobra. Look into an 11" flywheel and pick up an 03/04 clutch or better.

talltim

Reaction score
I've got around 350hp and looking to add procharger not this winter but next so I will want something that's going to cover up to 400-450hp.
To but that kind of hp in a 96 I doubt you have a non PI motor! I tend to be conservative but I have an 04 motor with ported PI heads, VT stage 1 cams, long tubes and boltons and I doubt I put out 300!

OP
OP
mustangmurley

mustangmurley

Reaction score
To but that kind of hp in a 96 I doubt you have a non PI motor! I tend to be conservative but I have an 04 motor with ported PI heads, VT stage 1 cams, long tubes and boltons and I doubt I put out 300!

8.8 Rear End, 3.73 posi gears
Performance Improvement Head Cylinders
SCT X3 BamaPerformance Tuner
Custom Tuned by "AmericanMuscle.com"
Comp Stage 2 XtreamEnergy 270 cams
Comp Valve Springs .550 lift
Oversized valves
Comp Timing Gears
Polyurethane Motor Mounts
Hurst Shifter & Pistol Grip
Long Tube Exhaust Headers
3" X-Pipe with FlowMaster 40s, no cats
ProComp Typhoon Upper/Lower Intake
BBK 78mm Plenum/Throttle Body
K&N Cold Air Intake/Filter
BBK Strut Tower Brace
BBK Rear Shock Tower Brace
Chrome High Output 160amp Alternator
March Performance Underdrive Pulley Kit
Bosch Four Hole Fuel Injectors (21#)
Professional Products Fuel Rail
Gabriel Quad Shocks
Upper & Lower Control Arms
Lowering Springs 1.5" front 1.25" rear
Slotted and Drilled Rotors
Red Powder Coated Ford Brake Calipers
Reybesto Ceramic Brake Pads
Tri-Core All Aluminum Radiator
High Flow Oil & Water Pump
MSD Ignition Coils
Ford Specific Spark Plugs
Ford Racing 8mm Spark Plug Wires
Lokar Flexible Dipstick
Spectra Premium Oil Pan
Royal Purple Synthetic Oil 10w30 & Filter
285/35/18 nitto rear tires
im sure I'm missing some other mods
after I get a new clutch this winter I'll dyno and post reports on power

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Good question!
Some headers allow squeezable room for tranny drops, some dont. You just have to dig in and figure out.

SVTstang96

Reaction score
I have long tube headers on my car also do they have to be removed to replace the clutch?

You won't have to drop them completely however you will probably have to loosen the passenger side one in order to get enough room for the transmission bell housing to clear when dropping the transmission. You could loosen the driver side as well however it is much more difficult since the steering shaft and hydroboost system is in the way.

OP
OP
mustangmurley

mustangmurley

Reaction score
You won't have to drop them completely however you will probably have to loosen the passenger side one in order to get enough room for the transmission bell housing to clear when dropping the transmission. You could loosen the driver side as well however it is much more difficult since the steering shaft and hydroboost system is in the way.

I still have the stock k member which is the main reason I'm having so many issues with the long tube headers, they were a ***** to fit and I hardly cleared them when doing the PI swap. But if I only have to loosen them that will help immensely, I'm actually thinking about adding the tubular k member and coil overs when replacing the clutch... Replacing the k member is not going to be very difficult will it? Has anyone else replaced their k member on their sn??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online