1996 Mustang Gt aka Zeus

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The compression bump wont be a big problem to the stock tune. Like OLDH2 stated, if you buy the pistons i listed, check the box to add a ring set to your cart.

If you just want rings, go to the local parts store and get ring set for the pistons year and make. Like if you scored a set of mach1 pistons, buy rings for that year mach1. Same goes for 5.4l pistons, buy rings for that year.

Youll be paying attention to the rings thickness, mostly the top ring. 1.2mm or 1.5mm thickness is considered the normal. Most 01-up 4v got the 1.2mm, but this is not set in stone.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
The compression bump wont be a big problem to the stock tune. Like OLDH2 stated, if you buy the pistons i listed, check the box to add a ring set to your cart.

If you just want rings, go to the local parts store and get ring set for the pistons year and make. Like if you scored a set of mach1 pistons, buy rings for that year mach1. Same goes for 5.4l pistons, buy rings for that year.

Youll be paying attention to the rings thickness, mostly the top ring. 1.2mm or 1.5mm thickness is considered the normal. Most 01-up 4v got the 1.2mm, but this is not set in stone.
Okay thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
ffb16a2c008e2b213f3a2aafab9b55b7.png
f350f22d540967c268bc2f46029f74d8.png
was looking at these gasket sets, the sealed power comes with more if I read correctly. Anybody have any luck with either or? I do know feel-pros good. Would these sets be enough?

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
No progress yet, the cams and guides did come in. I’m out of town working though so I haven’t been able to get hands on with them but I will post pics ASAP. Unfortunately the weather here in Texas has been cold as hell and I got soaked at work, and I’ve been sicker than a wet dog these past couple of days... but I will post pics and more info when I’m back in town and feeling 100%

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Well im feeling 80% better, just stuck with this annoying cough. Anyhow I’m still out for work, but my brother put my ac compressor from my marquis on and it fit well. But the car is smoking a lot, whitish greyish smoke from both exhaust. It did do this before but it’s seemed to have thickened a lot more than usually. Also he said he took it to the wash and gas station and on the way back the car started falling on its face, and wouldn’t go when he’d give it gas and it just turned off as he was pulling up. Bad alternator or battery maybe? I won’t be able to mess with the car until a couple weeks but any suggestions would be appreciated

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Time to revive this build for the better! I’ve been going back and forth, and now I’ve been fortunate enough to finally receive some money from when my father passes back in 2016. And with a piece of it I can finally rebuild my car. I can start ordering parts by tomorrow hopefully, so i want to start on the suspension and brakes, then go from there

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
I’m going to order the things needed to rebuild my motor. Boss rods, 5.4 pistons, all the gaskets, I just need to find some bearings and wrist pins and whatever else is needed. I’ll be running the pi cams I got from Astang as well. Would this setup require me to get s tune or would my stock tune be plenty?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Stock tune for stock cams should run you good for awhile.

Most piston kits come with the wrist pins and rings as well. If you opt out for the wrist pins, look into tool steel pins that are lighter and total seal makes an awesome ring set too, however youll be shedding out more coin! Itll all depend on what your end goal is.

Normal replacement bearings are fine for a naturally aspirated engine. Any parts store has you covered.

Ill be honest here, i have literally built my latest creation as cheap as i could, meaning only replacing econo rings and rod bearings. To my surprise how well this engine runs! So if your end goal is a good running engine, dont go over board thinking a higher priced component is needed.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Stock tune for stock cams should run you good for awhile.

Most piston kits come with the wrist pins and rings as well. If you opt out for the wrist pins, look into tool steel pins that are lighter and total seal makes an awesome ring set too, however youll be shedding out more coin! Itll all depend on what your end goal is.

Normal replacement bearings are fine for a naturally aspirated engine. Any parts store has you covered.

Ill be honest here, i have literally built my latest creation as cheap as i could, meaning only replacing econo rings and rod bearings. To my surprise how well this engine runs! So if your end goal is a good running engine, dont go over board thinking a higher priced component is needed.
Thanks man and I agree! I talked to 0h2s and I’ve decided maybe it’s not the route I wanna take due to the nearest dyno being a few hours away. No biggie tho because my main goal now is the suspension and overall look of the car. I need it to be dependable right now so I’m going stock crank, stock rods, new bearings 5.4 pistons, felpro head gaskets, new valve seals, 06 pi cams, and the rest of the odds and ends and then full bolt ons

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
c7c061d069823b4dfa89d48b492160ee.png
would this be everything needed? Just give me the okay and I’ll be Ordering it all

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Looks to be a good list!

Intake gaskets, thermostat gasket?

About the pi cams, they could be crown vic cams or exploder cams which are no good for a mustang and really isnt much more over the npi mustang cams. Try to score a set of 5.4l truck cams...npi or pi. Preferably pi, but either type had the most performance. You could head to pull a part, grab a set along with a 70mm truck throttle body and crown vic upper plenum.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Looks to be a good list!

Intake gaskets, thermostat gasket?

About the pi cams, they could be crown vic cams or exploder cams which are no good for a mustang and really isnt much more over the npi mustang cams. Try to score a set of 5.4l truck cams...npi or pi. Preferably pi, but either type had the most performance. You could head to pull a part, grab a set along with a 70mm truck throttle body and crown vic upper plenum.
I believe they are marquis or vics, I got them from AstangThang guys been a huge help as well he suggested I got the truck throttle body as well so now im sold and will get it for sure. but dang that's a bummer so the cams wont work? now they'll just collect dust I guess

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Cams will work fine, but performance will suffer compared to what it can be. The truck cams have more duration and overlap that come in at higher rpm.

Not saying the pi cams wont be beneficial but why go through the trouble knowing a better cam is out there.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Yeah I got you. Will the truck cams work without a tune and bolt right in ?

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
All of this will bolt right in without a tune, but your missing the point...
The most bang for the buck are the used parts, so if your not going to spend 600.00 for a new set of cams of your choice then listen to our advice on what to use because it is going to be the same cheap price no matter which one you use. And I stand by my position on do not use a mail order tune. Your engine will run just fine with the stock tune, BUT you are leaving lots of power, drivability, and MPG just waiting for a custom tune.
You do not know what problems are going to come up, could be shitty idle or a big bog when you floor it or a constant Check Engine light from a EGR code that will not go away.
Getting all the parts to play together is going to take a custom tune sooner or later because your not happy, and then you can join the rest of us saying "I should have done this sooner".

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
All of this will bolt right in without a tune, but your missing the point...
The most bang for the buck are the used parts, so if your not going to spend 600.00 for a new set of cams of your choice then listen to our advice on what to use because it is going to be the same cheap price no matter which one you use. And I stand by my position on do not use a mail order tune. Your engine will run just fine with the stock tune, BUT you are leaving lots of power, drivability, and MPG just waiting for a custom tune.
You do not know what problems are going to come up, could be shitty idle or a big bog when you floor it or a constant Check Engine light from a EGR code that will not go away.
Getting all the parts to play together is going to take a custom tune sooner or later because your not happy, and then you can join the rest of us saying "I should have done this sooner".
The big deal for me was taking the car 3-4 hours to have it dyno tuned. I don’t have access to a truck and trailer at least for free that is. But I do know it would be worth it. I did call a buddy this morning and he said there is one place about an hour from me that’s real good, but I’ve tried calling and so far no answer.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with a remote tune. Lots of people have them now. The tuner is going to do the same thing be it with the car in front of him or hundreds of miles away. As long as you have a wideband and can datalog you'll be fine. I know a couple tuners to recommend when/if the time comes. I honestly think a remote tune is better since the car is actually being driven versus turning the rollers on a dyno.

And just to boast a little, I've remote tuned a couple cars and was told they ran better than when the local guy tuned it.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The stock tune will do just fine for you to drive a few hours to get to a reputable tuner. Get it all together and drive it around your hood. Once you see it’s fine then schedule your tune and make the drive.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Problem, I bought a new alternator and battery and now my battery is marking 28 and the radio keeps shutting off and the battery light keeps coming and going. It goes right back to the middle when the cars idleing but when I drive it goes up. The ampage is only 130? Any idea what this can be?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online