1996 mustang gt no traction

zachgt

Reaction score
My 1996 mustang gt get no traction 1st gear or 2nd gear I have a cai 275/40/17 , 3.27 gears and can get completely sideways ways if I roll onto it in 2nd. Is this normal for a npi? I've searched fourms and everyone says npi is slow, but I know for a fact my gt is way faster then my old 94 z28 camaro 6 speed.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
My 1996 mustang gt get no traction 1st gear or 2nd gear I have a cai 275/40/17 , 3.27 gears and can get completely sideways ways if I roll onto it in 2nd. Is this normal for a npi? I've searched fourms and everyone says npi is slow, but I know for a fact my gt is way faster then my old 94 z28 camaro 6 speed.

Okay so basically you have a stock NPI motor, high gearing, 275s and you can't find traction. I'd be willing to bet $100 your tires are either pretty shot or they're just crappy tires. What brand are they ?

OP
OP
Z

zachgt

Reaction score
Goodyear ultra performance 75% tread 60º Weather dry, it is a mustang gt 248a package the only things I have done to the car is no back seat, no front sway bar, took out spare tire and jack and took out sound deading where the back seats were.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Goodyear ultra performance 75% tread 60º Weather dry, it is a mustang gt 248a package the only things I have done to the car is no back seat, no front sway bar, took out spare tire and jack and took out sound deading where the back seats were.

Goodyears aren't too good for traction. So you already started out with a lighter than normal GT, and you removed more weight. That could definitely play a role in your traction issues. If you need all seasons I'd highly recommend a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires, great traction in all weather and good for mustangs.

OP
OP
Z

zachgt

Reaction score
Okay cool thanks for the info. Are the nitto 555r good? I don't drive in the rain and I live in florida where it never snows.

TanTop94

Reaction score
It is cold out...maybe you were in some snow or something lol.

OP
OP
Z

zachgt

Reaction score
No man I wish it snowed, I live in Florida where on Christmas I can take the convertible out with a t-shirt lol.

TanTop94

Reaction score
Im gonna go with just bad tires than. I mean these cars have some ok low end torque but are you just going around and hammering down on the go pedal? Shitty tires + Thor Hammer on the gas pedal will most likely mean spinning.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Okay cool thanks for the info. Are the nitto 555r good? I don't drive in the rain and I live in florida where it never snows.

Not really sure, can't say because I've never used them or know anyone in person that has them.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
No man I wish it snowed, I live in Florida where on Christmas I can take the convertible out with a t-shirt lol.

Damn thats rough. I go out with like 2 shirts, a hoodie, boots, sweat pants and gloves haha.

TanTop94

Reaction score
I've heard nitto's are good, I run Cooper Zeon rs-2 and rs-3 I believe. I love them, they wear very fast if you run any sort of camber though.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
It's normal I could make my npi shit box be all over the road as well

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
Standard procedure for me.

315 555Rs out back, no backseat, no sparetire/equipment.

Spin 1-2 and maybe 3rd.

bonestock3.8DTH

Reaction score
I can't even do that with my KB, anyone wanna trade me for a NPI?

my single port can do that in the rain.. want to trade?

But to the question about the Nittos, I have them on my car and I love them! They offer pretty decent grip, I know a npi makes a lot more power than a single port shit box but they do pretty well even when I'm hammering it around an autox course, and they're not too terribly expensive.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
well the rain is a different story, he's saying on dry pavement with good tires.

OP can i ask how you know for a fact it's faster than your old camaro? Those camaros were probably low 14 second cars at worst and I don't think any NPI GT in history has ran way faster than that with the mods you have listed.

Win

Legend
Reaction score

555r horrible tire

I've heard nitto's are good, I run Cooper Zeon rs-2 and rs-3 I believe. I love them, they wear very fast if you run any sort of camber though.

Nt01 and nt05r are good yes that's it....

Standard procedure for me.

315 555Rs out back, no backseat, no sparetire/equipment.

Spin 1-2 and maybe 3rd.

your problem 555r horrible tire

my single port can do that in the rain.. want to trade?

But to the question about the Nittos, I have them on my car and I love them! They offer pretty decent grip, I know a npi makes a lot more power than a single port shit box but they do pretty well even when I'm hammering it around an autox course, and they're not too terribly expensive.

Which nitto???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010