1996 SVT Cobra Father and Son Build

96Bruh

Reaction score
So what we have planned for this build is
1. Restoring the SVO side exhaust skirt
2. Paint correction and restoration
3. New wheels and tires (plan on getting esr sr04s, 18x10.5s in the rear and 18x 8.5s in the front, tires will probably be anything grippy enough to handle the extra power we’re gonna throw at it)
4. Vortech v-3 centrifugal supercharger
5. Coilovers
6. More efficient fuel system
7. Tune
8. New head unit
That’s about all we have planned for her as of right now, may change or add more in the future, but that’s the game plan so far

Benni614

Reaction score
So what we have planned for this build is
1. Restoring the SVO side exhaust skirt
2. Paint correction and restoration
3. New wheels and tires (plan on getting esr sr04s, 18x10.5s in the rear and 18x 8.5s in the front, tires will probably be anything grippy enough to handle the extra power we’re gonna throw at it)
4. Vortech v-3 centrifugal supercharger
5. Coilovers
6. More efficient fuel system
7. Tune
8. New head unit
That’s about all we have planned for her as of right now, may change or add more in the future, but that’s the game plan so far
Why the vortech setup just curious why 80% mustang owners go to this just curious? I mean i been building cars for a long time but this is the most expensive part when there are other ways to get power for cheaper

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
96Bruh

96Bruh

Reaction score
Why the vortech setup just curious why 80% mustang owners go to this just curious? I mean i been building cars for a long time but this is the most expensive part when there are other ways to get power for cheaper

I’m just going with it because it’s an old reliable, and it is what my dad was going to get back when Paxton was still a thing, he wanted to supercharge almost as soon as getting the car, but the warranty would have been deemed invalid if he did.[/QUOTE]

Benni614

Reaction score
I’m just going with it because it’s an old reliable, and it is what my dad was going to get back when Paxton was still a thing, he wanted to supercharge almost as soon as getting the car, but the warranty would have been deemed invalid if he did.
[/QUOTE]Hahah I figured most go to it because well again everyone uses it ok no problem

98snakehorse

Reaction score

Just out of curiosity what are the cheaper alternatives to get power out of a 4v? Like say 400 to 500whp?

Benni614

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity what are the cheaper alternatives to get power out of a 4v? Like say 400 to 500whp?
Ok well simple
60lb injectors
Boost a pump
Brisk spark plugs
300lph fuel pump
Slot style maf (on3 performance)
Twin or single turbo setup from on3 performance
Maybe 4k total

98snakehorse

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that is a cheaper alternative you could get a centrifugal setup for that price pretty easily. As for as why alot of guys go that route I would say the simplicity of it.

Benni614

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that is a cheaper alternative you could get a centrifugal setup for that price pretty easily. As for as why alot of guys go that route I would say the simplicity of it.
Hmmmm show me

Boostr1

Reaction score
Huh, seems to be similar to me Vortech and Turbo, but then again you don't have to swap out headers with the Vortech.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Or the k member as well. I think the vortech is an easier install overall. Esp if you're doing it alone in your garage. Probably find a used setup at some point for a decent price.

Also what's the price of a Kenne Bell kit? Weren't they in the 4k neighborhood

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Hmmmm show me

Both vortech kits I've bought were in the $2500 range you just have to do some looking in the classifieds. I would personally purchase used than a brand new (cheap kit) which is another reason you see alot of these kits.

Huh, seems to be similar to me Vortech and Turbo, but then again you don't have to swap out headers with the Vortech.

Zero hotside to deal with less hardware all together and most centrifugal kits these days are self contained so no oil lines.

I've gone with both setups and love turbo setups but the vortech was by far the easiest to install and way less things to go wrong.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Corral has a 96-98 on3 kit with SCT MAF, injectors for 1800 bucks. Just posted

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Could go 100 125 shot. 1k get you a kit, purge and window switch. Long tubes, tune, march pulleys be at 400 no problem

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Super chargers will always be easier to install.

We’ve had this conversation on here many times. It goes with the pros and cons of both super chargers and turbo’s.

I prefer turbo’d because they are way more efficient but I’ll admit superchargers are easier.

Turbo’d are great because even if you lock up a turbo you can still drive home, blow a coupler and still drive home. Superchargers depending on the type of you throw a belt your stuck.

Price will always be debatable. Each kit is different and requires different mods to the vehicle. Doesn’t matter if you can get a turbo kit cheaper if you gotta spend more on a new kmember. Blowers aren’t always cheaper either and can cause other install issues requiring other mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benni614

Reaction score
Or the k member as well. I think the vortech is an easier install overall. Esp if you're doing it alone in your garage. Probably find a used setup at some point for a decent price.

Also what's the price of a Kenne Bell kit? Weren't they in the 4k neighborhood

Kennebell are 5k and North amd what the k member and turbo are wayyyyy easier in my opinion but 2 each here own

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Kennebell are 5k and North amd what the k member and turbo are wayyyyy easier in my opinion but 2 each here own

Depends. If your car is on jack stands in the garage no way I'm calling a k member swap easier than top end work lol. I dont have anything against turbos at all. I'd run one if the price and time was right

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Corral has a 96-98 on3 kit with SCT MAF, injectors for 1800 bucks. Just posted

I guess my point here is many guys go with the centrifugal setups due to them being affordable, easy to install and reliable. But yes you can go out and spend 2 grand for a questionable turbo kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online