1997 Cobra Alarm

afglar

Reaction score
I have a 97 Cobra coupe. As I understand (from online sales brochures and a few friends in the community), these cars could be optioned with a package consisting of leather seats, stereo and "TATS" alarm system. My car IS leather and has the Mach 460 stereo, but I can't find any literature on the "TATS" system compared to Ford PATS or PATS II. I found this under the steering column and I'm wondering if it's part of the "TATS" or some after-market add-on. I am concerned if it is an add-on it may be draining my battery.

97 cobra alarm.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
never heard of tats short of the ink style but I am fairly sure that is an aftermarket starter kill. The factory would not have mounted it like that.

Follow the wires to it and take a pic of the module on the end.

OP
OP
A

afglar

Reaction score
So, take the bottom cover of the steering column off? Will do - never done electrical work before :eek: Meanwhile this is the 1997 brochure for the Cobra - listed the "TATS" option - weird

Attachments

• cobra options.PNG
    cobra options.PNG
    93.1 KB · Views: 13

NEURON

Reaction score
I remember back when those supplementary alarms were installed by the dealer(all makes too). You had to pay for it and they would not remove it. I was told it was an Insurance Company requirement. Can't find anything on the TATS. The factory shop manual should have something on it if it exists.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
coda alarm was fords go-to for the add on alarms. I am willing to bet TATS was just fords fancy word for PATS+ a keyless entry/alarm that was standard on the cobras if I am not mistaken.

OP
OP
A

afglar

Reaction score
Sorry for the wait. I unfortunately do not have the factory manual, 2nd owner of the car. The repair manual I have doesn't mention anything about alarms. If anything, the patent # on the LED component matches up to a Magnadyne patent. Here are some photos from underneath the steering column - it goes towards the drivers side. The cable is the one with the green stripe. IMG_0711.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0707.jpg
    IMG_0707.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 1

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
looks like there is some kind of starter kill system in there. Look under the radio and see if there is something back behind it. If you want to remove it you will need to reconnect the starter wire that has been cut/reconnected

OP
OP
A

afglar

Reaction score
I assume it is paired to a remote (that I don't have) because the LED does not turn on when the car is locked. Why would I look under the radio? The wiring leads away from it as far as I can tell. Thanks much for your help :) Complete novice at electrical work

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought the wiring was going towards the console area in the pics but it was hard to tell. Follow it either way it goes. I would assume there was a remote for it at one time, the door lock wiring is in kick panel and there might be some relays back there going to the pink door lock wires.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online