1998 automatic trans to manual trans conversion choices

yellowgt98

Reaction score
I'm considering converting my automatic trans mustang gt to a manual 5 or 6 speed trans. This conversion will require all different parts installed. What I'm looking for is suggestions on how to do this within a reasonable price range. I've considered buying all used or new parts and piece them together, but have found that this might be very expensive and might require a lot of fabricating. I've considered buying a damaged manual 5 speed mustang for a low price and using all the parts. I've looked for a kit that would allow me to accomplish this conversion as one kit. Tried to find if there is another manual vehicle that might be able to be used to convert my Mustang to a 5 or 6 speed. I guess I'm looking for suggestions to the most economical way to accomplish this conversion and with the least amount of fabricating and are there any other manual trans that might attach to a mustang without major changes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

lutter94

Reaction score
A straight swap to a T45 would be easiest. I think your cheapest routes would be to buy it all as a "put together kit" or find a donor car. I did it piece by piece, spent about 1600, but a lot of that was brand new parts. It would be a lot cheaper to find used stuff.

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Check out East Coast Mustangs (on google or Facebook) and give them a call and see what they have in stock. That's who I went through to get my t5 swap. Everything needed to go from auto to manual...EVERYTHING. Fair prices and an all around good bunch of guys to do business with.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
You could always find someone parting a donor out on Craigslist. That's how I did mine and I got everything needed, wiring harness, shift boot, new clutch, pedals, the whole shebang for $500. And I was lucky enough to get an aluminum driveshaft with mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online