1998 GT Clutch / Release bearing

robertjh

Reaction score
On my 1998 GT , replaced the flywheel , clutch , pressure plate & release bearing with Ford Racing components approx. 4000 miles ago . The release bearing has started making noise & will have to be replaced . Was wondering if this is a common problem with Ford Racing release bearings ? Was thinking of a SKF release bearing & notice they have the "regular" unit & also a "self aligning " unit . Would the SKF be a good unit , or are others suggested ? What advantage would the self aligning option provide ?

Thanks

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
On my 1998 GT , replaced the flywheel , clutch , pressure plate & release bearing with Ford Racing components approx. 4000 miles ago . The release bearing has started making noise & will have to be replaced . Was wondering if this is a common problem with Ford Racing release bearings ? Was thinking of a SKF release bearing & notice they have the "regular" unit & also a "self aligning " unit . Would the SKF be a good unit , or are others suggested ? What advantage would the self aligning option provide ?

Thanks

If I remember correctly the ford racing are Chinese made and you actually want just the regular ford motorcraft throw out bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
^^^ True, I have been through 13 TOB with all the engine swaps I've done and the regular Ford is better and the SKF is a top quality replacement. Self aligning is good, it is the little bumps on the side of the race.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online