1998 gt first mustang build

mickey

Reaction score
A little over a year I bought my first mustang a 1998 laser red gt automatic. Went to the drag strip and ran a best of 15.7 I knew it wasn't going to be fast but I was a little disappointed. So over the winter and pretty much all of summer I put it under the knife with a pile of Craigslist parts and crap I can find on sale from LMR and AM. I now have
FRPP 4:10 gear
PI heads, cams, and intake
Dragon upper plenum
BBK 75mm throttle body
SR cold air intake
Mac long tube headers
Mac off road prochamber
Flowmaster cat back
285 toyo drag radial
BBK sub frame connectors

Some cosmetics
BBK front lowering springs cut rear coils
Mach 1 chin spoiler
And my newest score 18"x9" coyote track pack style rims brand new from AM for $80 each only problem my radials are for 17" rims and now I'm running around on 245/45r18's I hate the tires so next mod is going to be some 285's for the back.

Mods still to go on are a shift kit and and smaller torque converter. Now I'm not sure if I'm ready but I have a nitrous kit ready to go in, maybe next year. Right now I'm working out some of the bugs and saveing to get my car dyno tune. I hope to get the car to the track this year but snow is coming fast up here in Chicago lol.

The day I bought it

Changing the rims

Some motor work

And how it sits now

I have the mach 1 chin spoiler on now but I don't have any good pictures yet

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
The track pack wheels look great! Wish I saw when they were on sale that cheap! Great progress on the build

MaxA

Reaction score
Looks good! Must have been a pain to do the pi swap in the car.

OP
OP
M

mickey

Reaction score
Looks good! Must have been a pain to do the pi swap in the car.
It was a pain but definitely do able the hardest part was putting the long tubes on in a one car garage rolling around on the ground. Had to drop the subframe. Witch I think every one dose when putting long tubes in.

OP
OP
M

mickey

Reaction score
The track pack wheels look great! Wish I saw when they were on sale that cheap! Great progress on the build

The wheels where on clearance and one doesn't match it has more gloss than the others. They couldn't match the others so they offered to buy they back or the option I took witch was a $60 credit. When I get a chance I'll get a pick of the passenger side and see what you guys think.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
looks good man. it wouldn't be too hard to get those flat grey wheels glossy if you wanted too.

OP
OP
M

mickey

Reaction score
looks good man. it wouldn't be too hard to get those flat grey wheels glossy if you wanted too.

No it wouldn't we have a guy at work that fixes all the used car rims I'm gonna see how much it cost to make them match. it's not that bad so if it's to much, witch I'm sure it is, I'll just leave them alone.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Looks sweet! Maybe consider spacing the rears out a bit with a set of hubcentric spacers... And lower that 4x4 :cool:

OP
OP
M

mickey

Reaction score
Looks sweet! Maybe consider spacing the rears out a bit with a set of hubcentric spacers... And lower that 4x4 :cool:
I definitely want to get the rear tires out more but I want to get the right tires on it first. right now it has 245/45r18's at all 4 corners so I want to change to a more appropriate size like a 265 in the front and a 285 or bigger in the back then see how it looks to see how much I would need to bring them out and the same for lowering it. right now I have bbk lowering springs in the front and 1 coil cut in the rear so I may have to cut more in the rear. My future plan is a full suspension overhaul, but I have a few other things that need to be done first.

OP
OP
M

mickey

Reaction score
Spring time update, first mod some wheel spacers for the rear, these will be checked regularly and only used for cruising, next got the performance automatic shift kit installed, witch fixed my shifting issue. decided not to do a converter because I'm to lazy to pull the headers off to get the trans out, lol. Now with the car running pretty good I started cleaning up my headlights. Also started collecting parts for my fully torqued s197 front brake kit got the calipers, caliper brackets and decent factory Ford pads for $60, it also came with factory 06 hoses but not sure if they will work also just got 14" rotors of cj pony's website for $50 eash now I just need the brackets and maybe hoses.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online