1998 GT- stuck in theft mode where do I start?

JoeR40065

Reaction score
Hello everyone I just purchased what I'm hoping to be the deal of a lifetime and need some advice on where to go or what to do because I am trying to save as much as possible.

I picked up a 98 GT with 27,885.4 original miles clean title if that is such a thing since it was stolen but recovered and returned to original owner 2 weeks later. It has all documentation including service records the GT is or was a one owner and I have the original purchase agreement and window sticker and everything they religiously changed the oil every 3 months and 3000 MI the car has sat now for 10 months there is a issue and the original owner was forced to sell it because they do not have the money to fix it and I picked this vehicle up for under $1,000 it is complete never wrecked or anything downside is is it was stolen and was a theft recovery last April of 2020

I convinced myself to buy this car because it has been garage kept it has never been smoked in the carpet is absolutely beautiful as well as the seats it doesn't even have the tear in the seats that most of them get from age the previous owner stated you know it was the theft recovery that he had gotten it back and I kind of feel bad for the person in a humane way because they became addicted to some stuff but to not carry the proper insurance on the vehicle was ignorant and that's where he's stuck at and why he had to sell so he could pay March's rent enough chit chat so the ignition switch is busted but works somewhat I have have the original keys and the original key fob both sets I also have every piece that came off the car that the owner had put aftermarketwise including the exhaust kept the factory h pipe the factory headers etc

I've checked several things out online and now I'm considering the use of a schematic and a wiring diagram of the ECU and body control module to see if there's a way to get around this Theft mode since I cannot get the car to reset itself

What would y'all do or not anything is helpful I don't want to but will if I have to take it to ford but to me so not fair. I put a battery in it last night and it cranks over fuel pump kicks on but it is not starting and a theft light does not go out I used ether or starting fluid to kind of get it going and it ran on starting fluid according to everything I've read online I shouldn't be getting spark but I should be getting fuel is this true

Woke up today in a different mood and I am going to start from scratch so let's assume I am getting in the vehicle for the very first time what would you guys do or not do please let me know any thing would help thank you all have a great day I will get pictures posted when the sun comes up

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
so the ignition was busted out when it was stolen? They probably damaged the PATS system antenna receiver ring that goes around the ignition. With out it the car will never read the correct key is in the car and will always trigger the system to kill the fuel pump.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
bang the center of the steerin wheel column on the bottom with your hand and see if it goes away

it actually works lol

ask me how i know
"He isn't hitting it, he isn't banging on it, he isn't beating it at least if it fixes it because then its called a technical tap and you can bill for this". I know I am normally full of shit but this is true and something I was actually taught by an old school professor when I was in tech school. We were building a circuit to test and the guy behind me said that his signal generator was not working. The prof was a BIG FAT dude and didn't get up unless he had to so he asked if some of the switch settings were correct and then started to get up. About that time behind me I hear the dude start to smack the signal generator and I was expecting him to get yelled at till after the 3rd one he announced he fixed it. The prof actually went as far as to wake up the one dude that was always sleeping to tell use about technical taps. I have used it to diagnose problems on my car, countless customers cars when I was installing and finally on million dollar semiconductor manf machines when I was working at intel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online